NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• edited July 2020 Posts: 97
    Absolutely. Fukunaga is brilliant. Boyle is not.

I like Fukunaga a lot, but Boyle is universally regarded as a more brilliant director. That might change in the future though, Fukunaga is still pretty young.
    At this rate, I can see the film arriving sometime in May-August 2021 😭😭😭😭😭😭
    That statement has no basis in reality. They are not going to wait until next summer. My 10 thousand Euro bet offer is still open if you disagree.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Bond didn't disappear between 89' -95' then he won't disappear in 2-3 years. Although i don't know how cinemas will operate while most of them are shut this year. How many people will loose their job or paycheck this year who work in those fields? Spring- Summer 2021 is the only hope we have for NTTD release.

Thats the thing though hasnt it? Its already been delayed by production difficulties and Bond has been absent from the big screen for five years already not 2-3.

Sad truth is that if they had stuck with Danny Boyle as the films director then they wouldnt have been delayed and had the film out long ago.

By 2-3 years i meant 2-3 years from the original release date it was supposed to be released, technically this isn't the longest gap yet, another thing to keep in mind is this is a global pandemic. Bond isn't the only one stuck in it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The_Return wrote: »
    They are not going to wait until next summer. My 10 thousand Euro bet offer is still open if you disagree.

The coronavirus couldn't care less about EON and NTTD. It won't magically go away because a new Bond film is releasing in November.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I still am wondering if VOD/Streaming would be something worth looking at solely for the US market once other territories have opened back up again. Say a late November release if it's a possibility, with a Christmas VOD/online date for the US?

What figures do we think EON would be hopeful for at this stage, returns wise? I think the idea of a billion dollar film will be very 2019 for a few years, regardless of what happens.

Say if it earned $350million from international territories - of which they take a lesser percentage, and something like $150million from VOD/streaming where they take home a higher percentage, would that be enough to cover their expenses? Would any of the product placement deals need to be revised in the case where the film goes to VOD in the States instead of being shown theatrically?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    One thing I would like to know, and perhaps @antovolk can answer: does EON have a contract with MGM that specifically states NTTD must get a wide release in theaters? If the answer is yes, that would at least put some rest in the never-ending discussion that a VOD release can be easily put in motion if theaters remain closed for the foreseeable future.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Similar to Regal's plan, posted in the last couple days.

amc_logo_1200x856.png
    Most theatres will reopen 7/30 with your health & safety in mind.
    Learn more about our new AMC Safe & Clean™ policies and procedures.

https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-safe-and-clean

• I think the release date will hold.. But I also think a VOD 'premium rental' will follow closely. No, it won't make a billion. Maybe not even half that. The film studios will have to absorb the cost. Otherwise theatres are all going to close... Permanently.
    I completely forgot that NTTD is the longest Bond film ever. What a treat!
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    It's amazing to me how much things seem to have changed at EON since Cubby's passing. How the hell has it come to the point where the screenwriters are lost for direction yet the director who has a vision, with a team, leaves because the principal actor doesn't agree... with the direction? I mean, the film would have come out ages ago if it weren't for Craig. He had to decide if he wanted to come back, which took a long while, then it didn't work out with the director, then the film was rescheduled several times and the list goes on... I'm going to say it: karma's a biatch.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I'm fine with Michael and Barbara taking their time with Bond films instead of running it like a sausage factory as Cubby and Saltzman did. We already have so many Bond films to enjoy as it is. I don't feel entitled to more.
  • I'm fine with Michael and Barbara taking their time with Bond films instead of running it like a sausage factory as Cubby and Saltzman did. We already have so many Bond films to enjoy as it is. I don't feel entitled to more.

I'm not sure I agree, I see what you mean but I much prefer Bond films 62-89 to the Brosnan/Craig runs. And they didn't really take their time: it was MGM problems, waiting for Craig, rebooting and rushing the production of NTTD after Boyle left.

Bring back the sausage factory!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    OOWolf wrote: »
    It's amazing to me how much things seem to have changed at EON since Cubby's passing. How the hell has it come to the point where the screenwriters are lost for direction yet the director who has a vision, with a team, leaves because the principal actor doesn't agree... with the direction? I mean, the film would have come out ages ago if it weren't for Craig. He had to decide if he wanted to come back, which took a long while, then it didn't work out with the director, then the film was rescheduled several times and the list goes on... I'm going to say it: karma's a biatch.

True. They should have given Craig an ultimatum, and set a hard deadline. Even a four year gap should have been plenty for everyone to have a nice holiday and a break from Bond. Then they could have come back, got Bond 25 out by November 2019, and could then spend this time in lockdown ethier writing Bond 26 script, or selling the rights to someone else so that everything is ready to go in 2021/22. We are so far behind schedule now, and the only reason is not planning ahead properly. BOND 25 could be a 2021 release and BOND 26 might not see the light of day until after 2025.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Who has control over release dates for NTTD (No Time To Distribute :)>- )
    Is it EON or the movie studios ?
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 97
    @Mendes4Lyfe It basically boils down to this: EON sided with Craig over Boyle because Barbara Broccoli is literally in love with Daniel Craig. Then again, who can blame her? People madly in love can be pretty irrational.
    Very true. We saw that with Cubby keeping Roger Moore on longer than he needed.

As much as I agree that comment about Barbara being in love with Daniel is absurd but Moore didn't exactly kept Cubby waiting to make up his mind if he wants to play bond. There are many factors for delay of NTTD but that doesn't hide the fact that Craig did took a long time to decide wether he wants to play bond or not.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    matt_u wrote: »
    Bond didn't disappear between 89' -95' then he won't disappear in 2-3 years. Although i don't know how cinemas will operate while most of them are shut this year. How many people will loose their job or paycheck this year who work in those fields? Spring- Summer 2021 is the only hope we have for NTTD release.

Thats the thing though hasnt it? Its already been delayed by production difficulties and Bond has been absent from the big screen for five years already not 2-3.

Sad truth is that if they had stuck with Danny Boyle as the films director then they wouldnt have been delayed and had the film out long ago.

It would’ve been impossible to stick with a director who was asking for a 100% creative control (with no compromises and no rewrites) over an almost 60 years family franchise...

Anyway, given my opinions regarding both Cary and Danny’s work if we are talking about wrapping up the Craig era... better a 2022 NTTD than a weird standalone Danny Boyle JB movie in 2019...

+1

As much as I agree that comment about Barbara being in love with Daniel is absurd but Moore didn't exactly kept Cubby waiting to make up his mind if he wants to play bond. There are many factors for delay of NTTD but that doesn't hide the fact that Craig did took a long time to decide wether he wants to play bond or not.

I think that’s only partly true because EON produced four films in between Bond films, so it’s not like they prioritized Bond above all else. They were also starting to look at other potential actors like Tom Hiddleston in 2017, so even if Craig had decided not to come back we still would’ve had to wait til 2019 at the earliest.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I really can't argue with Barbara being in love with Craig. There was an interview when SF just came out, where celebrities were asked about their favourite Bond moments.

Craig said he liked the fight between Bond and Tee Hee.

Javier Bardem said the Laser scene between Bond and Goldfinger was his, Michael G. Wilson said the same.

Judi dench said the Bungee Jump in GE.

Jude Law said The underwater battle in TB with Barry's score and The set design.

Sam Mendes said The union Jack parachute Jump in TSWLM.

Barbara....🤣....Barbara said Craig coming out of the sea in CR is her favourite Bond Moment. I know it's a nice shot, but you would expect a Bond producer to go back in time, to pick a favourite Bond scene. But Hey, I guess Love conquers all :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2020 Posts: 23,544
    @Mendes4Lyfe It basically boils down to this: EON sided with Craig over Boyle because Barbara Broccoli is literally in love with Daniel Craig. Then again, who can blame her? People madly in love can be pretty irrational.

@The_Return
    That whole "Barbara Broccoli is in love with Daniel Craig" argument is hilariously immature. Unless you don't want to be taken seriously, I hope you will quickly change that tune.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 4,400

Boyle left the film in August 2018. NTTD wasn't delayed to April 2020 until February 2019.

Had NTTD came out in February 2020 as planned with Boyle as director, can anyone tell me how much money it would have grossed world-wide in 1 month?

Edit: Sorry, I forgot their was a delay from November 2019 to February 2020 once Boyle left production.

...Actually there was word that Eon were already pondering the move to February 2020 just before Boyle left. I think due to his schedule on Yesterday and Black Panther's success. I believe the Hollywood Reporter or Deadline posted the article.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

@The_Return
    That whole "Barbara Broccoli is in love with Daniel Craig" argument is hilariously immature. Unless you don't want to be taken seriously, I hope you will quickly change that tune.

I can say with some degree of certainty that @The_Return is previously banned member @PanchitoPistoles - I mean, the name is a giveaway and he is saying the same inflaming, divisive and baiting comments that got him banned before. Also, the odd obsession with Barbara Broccoli and Danny Boyle is back. Furthermore, these strange 'bets' he keeps trying to make where he says things like 'I bet 1000 Euros on...who wants to take my bet' is similar to Panchito's 'I'll leave the forum if [x] thing happens.'

There is no way for me to say for sure, but it does tally up. I even remember Panchito saying if banned, he would return with a new username.

Anyway......this is one of the more interesting arguments that sets out options for blockbusters. Basically as it stands these films needs to make bank at the box office. They simply cannot do this currently.

So the studios either take the loss opening in theatres at limited capacity and without full international roll-outs; or they go to VOD. Both are money-loosing situations. However, given the pandemic, they are going to loose money in both scenarios. Therefore the question is simple: Which option loses the least money?

For these reasons, I would not rule VOD out. It's still very much an option. One that probably is becoming more plausible. Though I personally think Eon will move into Spring 2021.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Cinemas in Tokyo at risk of closing down again, amidst a spike in Covid-19 cases.

https://variety.com/2020/film/asia/tokyo-coronavirus-alert-theater-cluster-1234706910/

In the past week, all cinemas in California and Hong Kong were ordered to close down, and now it seems Tokyo is about to make the same decision too.
    I'm fine with Michael and Barbara taking their time with Bond films instead of running it like a sausage factory as Cubby and Saltzman did. We already have so many Bond films to enjoy as it is. I don't feel entitled to more.

Bring back the sausage factory.Cubby was able to make new Bond films every two years without delay from 1977 to 1989.Barbara and Michael have been struggling to get a new one out for the last 5 years now.

I think that’s only partly true because EON produced four films in between Bond films, so it’s not like they prioritized Bond above all else. They were also starting to look at other potential actors like Tom Hiddleston in 2017, so even if Craig had decided not to come back we still would’ve had to wait til 2019 at the earliest.
    Of those four film's two of them came in 2014 when they were making SP, how can they make SP & the silent storm, Radiator at the same time but aren't able to make Bond25 with other film's ? let's not forget about Rhythm Section which was released in 2020 at the time they were shooting NTTD. Keep in mind i am not completely blaming them but there is something weird about delays.

Also, I am not aware of EON looking for other potential actor's in 2017 , do we have any source for this? this all feels like stories, as we all know why would Barbara look for a potential candidate when she knows Craig haven't made any confirmation to quit?
    Analyst Eric Wold in a Wednesday report lowered his stock price targets for movie theater operators and projected that the 2021 box office would fall about 20 percent below 2019 levels.

"We are less certain that studios will wait for the perfect date to release their films — as that perfect date may never arrive. In other words, waiting for every major market to have optimal reopening rules for movie theaters (especially around capacity limits), may end up pushing most, if not all, titles into 2021. And if studios are concerned around the health of their exhibitor partners, they may not choose to wait much longer."

Wold on Wednesday forecast box office declines of about 75 percent in the third quarter and about 50 percent for the fourth quarter. "And then for 2021, we are projecting a roughly 20 percent box office decline for the full year — with weaker results earlier in the year and stronger results into the second half," he wrote. "We expect to see the group begin to trade on valuations based on 'normalized' levels in 2022" and beyond.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cinema-stocks-analyst-cuts-price-targets-says-gradual-opening-could-bolster-sentiment-1303276
    One thing I would like to know, and perhaps @antovolk can answer: does EON have a contract with MGM that specifically states NTTD must get a wide release in theaters? If the answer is yes, that would at least put some rest in the never-ending discussion that a VOD release can be easily put in motion if theaters remain closed for the foreseeable future.

no idea.
  • The_Return wrote: »
    They are not going to wait until next summer. My 10 thousand Euro bet offer is still open if you disagree.

The coronavirus couldn't care less about EON and NTTD. It won't magically go away because a new Bond film is releasing in November.

But it SHOULD go away magically due to the USA having an election in that month...

But it SHOULD go away magically due to the USA having an election in that month...

And it will magically reappear again if Trump loses. ;-)
    edited July 2020 Posts: 8,025

Of those four film's two of them came in 2014 when they were making SP, how can they make SP & the silent storm, Radiator at the same time but aren't able to make Bond25 with other film's ? let's not forget about Rhythm Section which was released in 2020 at the time they were shooting NTTD. Keep in mind i am not completely blaming them but there is something weird about delays.

By four films I meant these which has Broccoli credited, three of them actually being EON productions:

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool (2017)
    Nancy (2018)
    Trauma is a Time Machine (2018)
    The Rhythm Section (2020)

Also, TRS began production in December 2017 and lasted til July 2018 and was originally slated for a February 2019 release. So wasn't necessarily in production at the same time as NTTD, it just got delayed several times by Paramount before finally getting that January 2020 release.
    Also, I am not aware of EON looking for other potential actor's in 2017 , do we have any source for this? this all feels like stories, as we all know why would Barbara look for a potential candidate when she knows Craig haven't made any confirmation to quit?

Even though Craig never confirmed whether he quit, it's still a smart move to keep looking for other potential actors just in case Craig did not want to come back. This article was in May of 2017, and Craig would not officially confirm he was back for one more until August 2017.

Here's an article by Phil Nobile Jr himself confirming Tom Hiddleston was in talks.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/27/exclusive-tom-hiddleston-in-talks-for-bond-25

Ah thanks, that cleared it up.