NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• Maybe Canada can get a theatrical release, we are a portion of the Domestic box office total. We're doing a bit better up here!

In all seriousness though, I think it's likely to move into 2021 at this point.
  • This is the exact same logic that Eon used to justify delaying in April. The irony is that Eon delayed NTTD from April as the Asia box office was cold, now they'll have to move from November because of the USA.
    1. That's not necessarily going to happen at this point, let's just try and stay positive about this.
    2. You could easily take that logic, apply it to virus hotspots developing in other countries and use it as a reason to continue delaying the release indefinitely. We can't go round and round in circles like this.
  • That said, Bond IS the biggest hit franchise in the UK.
    Thank you, I'm very glad for that! 😁
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    This is the exact same logic that Eon used to justify delaying in April. The irony is that Eon delayed NTTD from April as the Asia box office was cold, now they'll have to move from November because of the USA.
    1. That's not necessarily going to happen at this point, let's just try and stay positive about this.
    2. You could easily take that logic, apply it to virus hotspots developing in other countries and use it as a reason to continue delaying the release indefinitely. We can't go round and round in circles like this.

This is precisely what you have been doing for days now.
    2. You could easily take that logic, apply it to virus hotspots developing in other countries and use it as a reason to continue delaying the release indefinitely.

For the 1 millionth time: The US is the biggest market for Bond. As long as the situation doesn't improve there, NTTD (and all other big-budget films) will continue getting delayed.

At this point, yes it will happen. The situation is gradually getting worse in the US. The last time things got this bad, it took 2 months before the infection rate & death rate started decreasing again. And this time, the US are average over 10,000 daily cases more than their previous peak. Experts predict the daily infection rate for the US could increase to 100,000 a day, which is more than 3 times worse than the May/April peak.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 348
    This is precisely what you have been doing for days now.
    Talking about going round in circles, I was referring to possibly elaying the film because of virus hotspots developing in various countries or continents.

April 2020 (moved to) November - because of Asian markets

November 2020 (moved to) Spring 2021? - because of America

Spring (moved to) Summer 2021? - because of Europe?

And so on and so forth.

That's what I meant when I said that we can't just go round and round in circles. Otherwise the film may never come out at all.

• At this point, yes it will happen.

You can predict that it will, you may be right but you don't know for certain at this point. None of us here do. At this point, it just sounds like you don't want the film at this point. As Bond fans, we ought to try and be more positive about the film coming out sooner than later, otherwise why are we Bond fans?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    At this point, yes it will happen.

You can predict that it will, you may be right but you don't know for certain at this point. None of us here do. At this point, it just sounds like you don't want the film at this point. As Bond fans, we ought to try and be more positive about the film coming out sooner than later, otherwise why are we Bond fans?

Post flagged for false accusations.
  • My last sentence still stands.
    My last sentence still stands.

There is a global pandemic going on. No matter how much you keep on crying about NTTD getting delayed, that the USA shouldn't be the main market for Bond, it won't change the situation because the coronavirus couldn't care less about what any of us want.

It is simply insane how you keep believing that the pandemic will conveniently disappear just before NTTD's release in November. The situation has barely improved since March, and that was 4 months ago. So we are already almost half-way through the first delay's announcement and the current release date for NTTD.

The last peak in the US lasted 2 months. This new peak is already much more severe than the previous one, and all you keep saying is 'we can't predict what will happen'. Have you ever heard of this little thing called science?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Anyway, more important than misguided ideals is what the most likely new release date will be; we've had a few thrown out here already amidst the nonsense of the last few pages.

I think February is probably the most likely one if we miss November at this point.

How susceptible would MGM be to putting the film out and it still potentially underperforming in February? If the situation in the US continues to worsen before it improves, the box office will likely suffer into the New Year.

The film might not be financially red, but I'm sure they're still hoping for a decent return even under the stressful circumstances.
  • It is simply insane how you keep believing that the pandemic will conveniently disappear just before NTTD's release in November. The situation has barely improved since March, and that was 4 months ago. So we are already almost half-way through the first delay's announcement and the current release date for NTTD.

I never said anything about the pandemic disappearing before November. I think it's somewhat likely that it might have dissipated enough by that point for it to come out on time. Again, as Bond fans of all people, we should stay positive about the film coming out sooner than later.
    I still think November this year is most likely. By far. They would release the film in November in whatever markets are available, then get the blu rays out, and bank in as much money from Christmas purchases as possible. It maximises income.

February 2021 is feasible but remember that the Nov to Feb period is the northern hemisphere winter. Winter is usually when infectious diseases are at their worst. If November is bad then it is possible that February will be even worse and the economy, cinemas, film companies etc might be in a worse shape than they had been just 12 weeks earlier in November.

So I think either (a) they release it this November or (b) they wait until summer 2021.

If no vaccine is here summer 2021 then they will just release it that year anyway. It makes no sense for any business to have a product just sitting on its shelf doing nothing while the company burns through its cash reserves. They will release the film and start seeing income from it.

I still think November this year is the likeliest though
    At this point, yes it will happen.

Of course we are all Bond fans and we all want to see the film come out but common sense indicates that its looking unlikely.Its better to get used to the idea that the film will be delayed again rather than be even more disappointed when/if that delay is announced.

Im actually more pumped to see Wonder Woman 1984 as i loved the first film so much but iv accepted that its unlikely to be released this year.I only see the pandemic getting worse in the USA hence yet another delay for that film.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Never mind we Bond fans. Cary, Craig, Barbara and Michael are also not happy with the situation. In an ideal world, we should be getting casting Rumours of Bond 26 now....meaning at this stage, we would have been reviewing NTTD, while we listen to Zimmer's score....It's not as if EON are enjoying the delay. There's a pandemic. The only reason we're still looking forward to the film, is because we're alive and well. Of course, I don't know everyone who has died from the Virus so far, but I know Bond fans are amongst the dead....and that fact, doesn't sit well with me.
    NTTD would be releasing on Blu Ray this month if it weren't for the pandemic.
  • Thank you IGotABrudder. I don't think EON / MGM can't afford to delay the film for much longer. At the moment, the film is just sitting on a shelf / on a harddrive somewhere and not making any money at all until at least November. And as you say, February is still flu season in the Northern hemisphere.

Is that with the April release date in mind? That's a hefty turnaround, isn't it? Or perhaps my concept of time has just been compressed!

Is that with the April release date in mind? That's a hefty turnaround, isn't it? Or perhaps my concept of time has just been compressed!

3 months is the usual turnaround in the US I think? SP came out in cinemas November 6th 2015 in the USA, and on Blu Ray on February 9th 2016.

3 months is the usual turnaround in the US I think? SP came out in cinemas November 6th 2015 in the USA, and on Blu Ray on February 9th 2016.

90 days in the U.S., 16 weeks in the UK.

So - yeah right about now for the US Blu-ray, late July for the UK.

antovolk wrote: »

90 days in the U.S., 16 weeks in the UK.

So - yeah right about now for the US Blu-ray, late July for the UK.

What could have been, but will be eventually.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited July 2020 Posts: 3,157
    If no vaccine is here summer 2021 then they will just release it that year anyway. It makes no sense for any business to have a product just sitting on its shelf doing nothing while the company burns through its cash reserves. They will release the film and start seeing income from it.

I know it's not the same thing since NTTD had a bigger budget and it's a different situation, but some movies have been sitting on their shelves for way longer than NTTD (The King's Daughter starring Pierce Brosnan, for instance, was meant to come out five years ago!)

I'm not trying to make a point or anything, I know it's a different situation, I just thought it was a fun fact.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

We would be getting the Bond 26 teaser trailer right now if it weren’t for all the wasted time ;)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    There's just no No Time To Die.

Movie theater chains are unlikely to reopen anytime soon.

“We need to get more creative because you’re not going to open up theaters for any level of regular operations anytime soon,” box office analyst and founder of TheNumbers Bruce Nash says.

"We’re always talking about getting through this and figuring out what the new normal is, but I’m now thinking this is the new normal,” Bruce Nash, box office analyst and founder of TheNumbers, said. “The virus doesn’t really go away, and we’re in this wave of coronavirus cases subsiding and spiking and maybe there’s a vaccine early next year, but this is how it’s going to be for as long as we can see right now.”

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Wednesday ordered Los Angeles County and 18 other counties in the state to close movie theaters and dine-in restaurant service for at least the next three weeks as infections continue to surge.

To boot, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo last week said that movie theaters will not reopen on schedule.

“There are really only two potential saviors for the movie theater business: Government action and the other is the studios,” Nash said, referencing studios helping to pay exhibitors’ digital print fees during the switch from film. “What that looks like for putting ‘Tenet’ out in a movie theater, I don’t know. But everybody in the industry wants that to happen… It’s maybe more about what we do with the situation that we’re in.”

https://www.thewrap.com/why-movie-theater-chains-are-unlikely-to-reopen-anytime-soon/
  • Of course we are all Bond fans and we all want to see the film come out but common sense indicates that its looking unlikely.Its better to get used to the idea that the film will be delayed again rather than be even more disappointed when/if that delay is announced.
    Thanks for your message, I see your point of view. If I personally get into a negative , pessimistic or cynical mindset about something (such as Brexit or the British government's reaction to Coronavirus), I personally have a hard time trying to get out of that. I don't want that to be the case with something as close to me as James Bond. In a way, I'd rather be optimistic about the film coming out on time and then being disappointed if it doesn't, than not trust any release date information at all so as to cushion myself for a potential delay. I'm not criticizing where you're coming from, it makes sense, I just wanted to express my view on the matter. 🙂
    I don't see the point in posting the same "cinemas are unlikely to open soon" news everyday. They were unlikely to open yesterday and were unlikely the day before that, posting it everyday is just redundant.
    Not to mention that "news" like these mean nothing; in my country movie theatres were not supposed to open until March 2021 yet they opened one month ago. Due to the current situation we're in things change all the time, all forecasts are just pointless and are either clickbait or propaganda fuel.
    Walecs wrote: »
    I don't see the point in posting the same "cinemas are unlikely to open soon" news everyday. They were unlikely to open yesterday and were unlikely the day before that, posting it everyday is just redundant.
    Not to mention that "news" like these mean nothing; in my country movie theatres were not supposed to open until March 2021 yet they opened one month ago. Due to the current situation we're in things change all the time, all forecasts are just pointless and are either clickbait or propaganda fuel.

These news concern the US, which until they re-open, no big-budget film can be released. Hence, these news are relevant to this thread as NTTD falls in that category of films.

And I don''t see how forecasts can change when the US just crossed 50,000 new cases for the first time yesterday. Several states already beat their daily cases record today. Florida, for instance, recorded 10,000 cases for the first time.
    But they are the same news as yesterday and the day before. It's not like until yesterday everybody was certain that NTTD would come out on November, users have been doubting about the November release date for months now. The majority's consensus on these boards seems to be that we won't get the movie before next year, so news like "movie theatres are unlikely to reopen soon" are as shocking as "the sky is blue".
    Walecs wrote: »
    But they are the same news as yesterday and the day before. It's not like until yesterday everybody was certain that NTTD would come out on November, users have been doubting about the November release date for months now. The majority's consensus on these boards seems to be that we won't get the movie before next year, so news like "movie theatres are unlikely to reopen soon" are as shocking as "the sky is blue".

I agree.Daltoncraig can you please stop posting the same news articles about cinemas not opening up soon.Its just repetitive and depressing.We all know the situation and you are free to discuss it but posting pretty much the same articles is not contructive.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 8,034
    Lads, if you don't like relevant news, just scroll past it. It's really not that difficult. Feel free to discuss other aspects of the topic (if you can find any!) if you find the posts from the one person who is actually contributing to the discussion regularly not to your liking. It is an open forum. If you want to be pro-active, by all means be so. Complaining that all the news is negative is not constructive either.

I, for one, appreciate the articles that get posted. Thank you @DaltonCraig007