NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The closest example to such a thing was back in the early 2000s when Sony made up fictional critics writing glowing reviews for movies like THE PATRIOT, A KNIGHT’S TALE and THE ANIMAL.

http://hoaxes.org/hoax/archive/permalink/david_manning/
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 2,887
    If I want to see a film, I might take a quick glance at the reviews--just enough to avoid spoilers. After seeing the film is when I actually read them. The interesting critics are the ones who point out what you missed, whether they liked the film or not.

Some critics from small-time publications and TV are prone to give big Hollywood stinkers good reviews; they want to be quoted on the posters and receive publicity and some also get treated to press junkets and become pals with the studios. Outright bribery isn't necessary for the already-corrupt.

But critics who write for major, respected publications usually care about movies and about being a distinctive voice, even at the risk of sounding insane. A critic for The New York Times or New Yorker might have strange opinions, but they're not purchased by the studios.

Why British critics overpraised Spectre and American ones ganged up on it is a mystery. The film's troubled production history--Sony leaks and so forth--undoubtedly played a part, but why this influenced the film's reception in America more than Britain is another mystery.

Back in 2015 I made the mistake of reading too many of the leaked scripts stories, so the Brofeld twist came as an unpleasant confirmation rather than shock. The film left me underwhelmed in other areas, and after seeing it a second time I concluded it was no better than mediocre. The series was lapsing back into tired formulas.
  • Over the past five decades I have read so many film reviews that turned out to be simply wrong that I have given up paying attention. I don’t believe reviewers’ opinions any more than I believe Bond fans who try to persuade me that QOS is bad (they’re wrong), that MR is bad (they’re wrong), that LALD is bad (they’re wrong) or even that DAF is bad (they’ve very wrong indeed).

If some Bond fans themselves can be so wrong about Bond films then there’s no hope for independent reviewers.

Another reason to stay away from reviews (other than the fact that they’re wrong) is that they usually give away plot elements. The less I know about a film when I watch it, the better, personally.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    matt_u wrote: »

Bet EON loves to see this!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Whoa. Welcome.

I think Sam Mendes was still a critical darling at the time and the idea of criticising the film in the English press was just not going to happen.Mark Kermodes head was so up Mendes arse in his review “ THIS IS GREAT! THIS IS GREAT! “
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    I wish it is going to premier, still, on my birthday September 30th!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I think Sam Mendes was still a critical darling at the time and the idea of criticising the film in the English press was just not going to happen.Mark Kermodes head was so up Mendes arse in his review “ THIS IS GREAT! THIS IS GREAT! “

God forbid anyone has a different opinion from yours.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 500
    Music to my ears.
    Music to my ears.

You absolutely love to see it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Music to my ears.

That s the only place for music, isn t it?
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,006
    I’m hoping Dune’s perceived “inaccessibility” by casual audiences will give NTTD the extra legs and longevity to stay at number 1, or close to it, for many weeks. Of course, this will require strong critical acclaim and word of mouth.

We’ll start to know in about 3 weeks!
    Burgess wrote: »
    Shang-Chi's projected record-breaking weekend may harbor good omens for NTTD.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-chi-and-the-legend-of-ten-rings-labor-day-weekend-box-office-1234825437/

If a Marvel-hero, that in Europe almost no-one ever heard of, might make $90 million on the first weekend, that's a good sign for the US box office.
    Those are numbers like in pre-covid-times.
    I’m hoping Dune’s perceived “inaccessibility” by casual audiences will give NTTD the extra legs and longevity to stay at number 1, or close to it, for many weeks. Of course, this will require strong critical acclaim and word of mouth.

We’ll start to know in about 3 weeks!

"Dune" is getting released in 10 days almost everywhere outside the US and UK.
    So it won't be a huge competitor for Bond besides those two markets.
  • Some back of the napkin math: If NTTD opens with $70 million like Shang-Chi and gets very good reviews, it will likely outdo Spectre at the North American box office. Craig era Bond films tend to do 70% of their business outside of North America, which would translate to another $450-500 million for a $650-700 million global cume. NTTD may yet be an exception to that trend due to many int'l markets impacted by Covid, but looking at F9, Godzilla vs Kong, The Suicide Squad, and Free Guy - these releases have been doing between 60-75% of business overseas.

Long story short, if the endemic situation doesn't change that much in a weeks' time, NTTD looks to be a safe bet to best CR and QOS and may crack $700 million.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,664
    I am no kind of expert in analyzing COVID numbers, but the number of daily new cases seems to have reached or passed a peak in many places (for the current wave). Couldn't this have an effect on people's feelings about going to the cinema if it continues into the coming weeks?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited September 2021 Posts: 8,009
    I can only speak of my own working experience and the general vibe amongst the public in my own area but....

For the most part, while cases are climbing the number of people in hospital is not rising hand in hand with those figures and the amount of people in ICU is holding pretty steady. This shows that people can return to a relatively normal routine with some confidence and hopefully that will continue to be reflected in cinema attendances as we move closer to 2022.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Same here in Italy where Venice 78 is proving to the GA that going to the movies is safe, especially since here to enter a movie theater you must be vaccinated. Good news is that by the time NTTD will come out at least 80% of the total population will be.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,664
    Well, hopefully the question then will mostly be whether NTTD is a good movie that people want to see, and I'm somewhat bullish on that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Same here in Italy where Venice 78 is proving to the GA that going to the movies is safe, especially since here to enter a movie theater you must be vaccinated. Good news is that by the time NTTD will come out at least 80% of the total population will be.

If you have to get vaccinated to go to a movie, then it isn t very safe is it? Glad that sort of crap hasn t been implemented here. At least not yet.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,343

If you have to get vaccinated to go to a movie, then it isn t very safe is it? Glad that sort of crap hasn t been implemented here. At least not yet.

Well that's still better than a trip to the hospital where 94% of italian COVID patients in ICU, struggling to survive, are not vaccinated.

EDIT: Following the massive success of Shang Chi now Venom 2 will come out in the US October 1st. Good for Bond as well.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Venom has moved forward from 15 Oct to 1 Oct in the US.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Venom has moved forward from 15 Oct to 1 Oct in the US.

Oh now that’s aggressive…
    Dumb Sony they should’ve kept the original mid September release date.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2021 Posts: 13,882
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Kermode hasn't properly been Kermode, since he stopped doing grossly exaggerated impressions of Danny Dyer. The PaedBC clearly had a word in his shell like. Dyer joins Eastenders, and suddenly Kermode stops his impressions.

Well that's still better than a trip to the hospital where 94% of italian COVID patients in ICU, struggling to survive, are not vaccinated.

EDIT: Following the massive success of Shang Chi now Venom 2 will come out in the US October 1st. Good for Bond as well.

Not necessarily good for Bond.It means Bond has more competition doesn’t it?

Venom 2 was supposed to come out one week after Bond. As I see things a less packed mid October is better for NTTD.
    Venom 2 was supposed to come out one week after Bond. As I see things a less packed mid October is better for NTTD.

I agree — anything to let those legs stretch even more (conditional on the film being good!)