NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    matt_u wrote: »
    I just realized that NTTD has the lowest domestic gross of any film that still topped $700 million worldwide EVER.

Surely you mean non-Chinese film?

Yes. Anyway, are those Chinese films even come out in the US?

Unless I've missed something, I think you'd pretty much have to steal Lake Chanjin to watch it in the States.

It is having a super limited release in the UK. My local Odeon are showing it from Friday.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Feyador wrote: »
    Ryan wrote: »
    I'm sure his legs might be in the nearby waters.

Nah, he evaporated in that blast...

Hope Mathilde gets that ceramic bulldog....

I wonder where those skis in the lock-up have been?
    I just realized that NTTD has the lowest domestic gross of any film that still topped $700 million worldwide EVER.

Surely you mean non-Chinese film?

Yes. Anyway, are those Chinese films even come out in the US?

Unless I've missed something, I think you'd pretty much have to steal Lake Chanjin to watch it in the States.

I don’t think anyone here will ever care about that sick propaganda garbage. :D
    Anyway I was talking about Hollywood films. It just shows NTTD’s monster run internationally.

Wasn't there something like a one to one equivalency decades ago for Bond films, domestic v. international, I mean?

Well it was never a 50/50 situation. In the golden years of Connery the US provided like a 30/40% of Bond’s global gross but over the last 20 years a lot of other markets grow a lot like China, Russia, Eastern countries and the South America. Anyway except for SF that was an anomaly Bond is becoming less “””relevant””” in the US…
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    So NTTD currently stands at 700 million dollars. I must say, that's quite impressive for a "pandemic" release. Seeing how no film so far has crossed the billion-dollar barrier this year, a line that was becoming more and more "trivial" in the past decade, I don't think 700m qualifies as a poor performance, let alone a "flop".
    The fact that NTTD will end up grossing $620M+ internationally is really impressive. For comparison F9 grossed internationally $548M (with $200M from China alone). That’s really something. NTTD grossed more than any recent M:I film and it’s gonna finish its run scary close to Fallout, during a pandemic. Without those unpredictable shut downs in China COVID related it would’ve outgrossed even Fallout…
  • Even if there was no pandemic, a $700M gross is still respectable, especially for a Bond film.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    Even if there was no pandemic, a $700M gross is still respectable, especially for a Bond film.

Without mentioning that NTTD will end up in the $780M range, so roughly $25M more than QoS's total adjusted for the current inflation and scary close to DAF and MR totals.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    Stamper wrote: »
    Domestic? That would be England?

Domestic means the North America’s market in the box-office glossary.

An outdated term surely
  • Bond clearly continues to be most popular in Western Europe (incl UK of course) and Scandinavia, pulling extraordinary numbers. The franchise is culturally closer to those markets than US, China, or elsewhere also because there has always been so much European talent in front of and behind the camera.
    NTTD has officially topped SF in China. Looking for a final $65+ final cume.

That's incredible!
    jobo wrote: »

That's incredible!

Yes, especially because NTTD was able to do it without a promotional tour (very important in China) and with a 15/20% of its business lost because of theaters being shut down in a lot of regions (part of Beijing as well).
    Wow, that is remarkable. I can’t see NTTD as anything but a success given all the adversity.
    Another incredible achievement is that by the end of its run NTTD will likely top F9’s overall international gross ($548M) even without China. It needs another $48M. Just for the record F9 grossed $200M in China.
    3 808 410 seats sold in France as of yesterday. NTTD is still the number one movie of the year.
    Another incredible achievement is that by the end of its run NTTD will likely top F9’s overall international gross ($548M) even without China. It needs another $48M. Just for the record F9 grossed $200M in China.

Hasn't it already done that? Box Office Mojo puts NTTD at $558m International

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl4077159937/?ref_=bo_hm_rd

Hasn't it already done that? Box Office Mojo puts NTTD at $558m International

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl4077159937/?ref_=bo_hm_rd

I said *without China.
    Looking across Europe I’m interested as to what the situation with the box office will be in the next few weeks. Cases are spiralling again and partial lock downs on the cards. I have no idea why the uk which has been largely open as usual since July seems to have reached an equilibrium with cases last few months whereas Germany has not.

I’m sure that will change next few weeks here too. They rode the waves pretty well eon in releasing when they did.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Yeah Bond really had almost the perfect timing coming out late September/early October.
  • NTTD hasn't done too badly for a so called "flop". Daniel Craig, sir, you will never be forgotten.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 214
    NTTD hasn't done too badly for a so called "flop". Daniel Craig, sir, you will never be forgotten.

I'll miss him...

The only 'disappointing' box-office was in the US....but 160m final still puts it in the Top 10 of the year.
    Yes…. basically the US performance is the reason why the film won’t hit $800M.
    It’s the lowest grossing Bond since LTK (adjusting for nowadays inflation).
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It's the 125th highest grossing movie of all time. 😉
    Latest news is that NTTD will play in China for another month. Both Bond and Dune got this green light from the Chinese, a first time during the pandemic.
  • 75-80m possible now?
  • manovermanover uk
    Fantastic news from china
    Latest news is that NTTD will play in China for another month. Both Bond and Dune got this green light from the Chinese, a first time during the pandemic.

Its true!
    https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dune-no-time-to-die-china-extensions-1235114687/
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 309
    $800M may be on the table now.
  • Burgess wrote: »
    $800M may be on the table now.

Still a stretch, as the Variety article states that neither Dune nor NTTD would add that much new business.
    Another month in China maybe it will guarantee $5/10M more. Maybe NTTD will be able to hit $70M! It depends a lot on how much screens Bond will be able to keep.

NTTD finishes its first week in Australia with a A$14.1M cume. Slightly worst than SP even to the opening weekend was slightly better. I’m still hoping it’s gonna make $40M there.

https://numero.co/reports/2021/11/18/no-time-to-die-goes-straight-to-the-top
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I am really interested, what may have clicked with US audiences with Skyfall which did not with NTTD. If it really was the demographic unwilling/unsafe to go to the cinemas or if it were other factors.

It's really interesting to see - so much happened in the entertainment sector: Streaming, Superhero movies, a pandemic and an "old" brand like James Bond 007 which still clicks with a huge audience as we can see in Europe and even Asia - but not the US.

Really, really inetersting to me if it's the somewhat "arthouse" style the 007 movies went to during Craig's past movies since Skyfall which people over here in Europe for example (I am from Germany myself) relate to which to quite some degree fell through in the US. Was it marketing (like some suspected) from MGM that differed much from Universal's over here (I can only report that NTTD was everywhere here - every facade, everywhere online, everywhere in linear television as well).

I know Bond never was as big in the US than here - got it. But why it kinda fell through this time was not really expected by me since Craig alone seemed to be popular with US audiences, too (different than Dalton for example).

I think NTTD did very, very well in total in very uncertain times and moved around several times. Also the fact they could keep the ending under wraps all that time is awesome. I will go and see it one more time in a smaller cinema near me (it's not playing in IMAX anymore here though) before the 4K Disc will arrive under my christmas tree ;-)