10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1....OUT......The Boxing Discussion thread.

2»

Comments

I see David Haye is retiring after his embarrassing 'bitch-slapping' by Bellew.

Good riddance,always over-rated.
    Amir Khan build up to his big fight starts at 10pm on SKY..thoughts anyone ? will he win or is it career over ??
    Amit Khan was shit last night x a real boxer would knock him out in 3 rounds max.
    Anyone watching AJ this weekend ?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    barryt007 wrote: »

Had to remind myself what day it is then, I may do as have Saturday night off though admittedly not been following the build up.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 19,339

Had to remind myself what day it is then, I may do as have Saturday night off though admittedly not been following the build up.

I would,but its the cost..not cheap.
    But might pop to the pub though,it will be on in there,if im feeling sociable.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I would,but its the cost..not cheap.
    But might pop to the pub though,it will be on in there,if im feeling sociable.

True regarding cost, if its likely to be a stroll in the park for AJ I won't bother.
    Not boxing but UFC the Conor Mcgregor v Khabib press conference was crazy, I better not post YouTube link there's way too much swearing and controversy.
    Not boxing but UFC the Conor Mcgregor v Khabib press conference was crazy, I better not post YouTube link there's way too much swearing and controversy.

Nah, it was one of the tamer Connor press conferences :D

btw what boxing match is there this Saturday night?

I think I heard there was a big fight going on this weekend but I don't follow boxing that closely.
    dragonsky wrote: »

Nah, it was one of the tamer Connor press conferences :D

btw what boxing match is there this Saturday night?

I think I heard there was a big fight going on this weekend but I don't follow boxing that closely.

Too much swearing for this site though, weekend fight is Anthony Joshua v Alexander Povetkin

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/boxing/45594536
    Joshua seems a bit 'depressed' at the moment,like he has a cloud over him.

Not great when you have a major fight tomorrow !!
    I have a bad feeling about this.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,337
    Joshua seems a bit 'depressed' at the moment,like he has a cloud over him.

Not great when you have a major fight tomorrow !!
    I have a bad feeling about this.

Not paid much attention to the build up, should this be a easy win for AJ against a 39 year old?
    Has to be damned careful with this one,I won’t be watching it but I will be monitoring it closely.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,337
    Conor McGregor ATTACKED by Khabib Nurmagomedov’s team-mates in disgusting Octagon assault at UFC 229
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/khabib-nurmagomedovs-team-mate-attacks-13376942.amp

Madness

KHABIB'S TRAINERS PUNCH CONNOR MCGREGOR IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Looking at it again, it looks like McGreggor is punched in the face first, then in the back of the head. That could be the end of Khabib's unblemished 26-0 record.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    what a shame it ended in this spectacle. MacGregor was handily beaten. There was nothing within the fight that would have suggested he could beat Khabib... The so-called punching power of the Irishman was useless-- after that, he really didn't have enough in his tool box...

Khabib was stronger in all facets.

I suppose when you push a man too far, spewing racist, prejudice and hateful taunts at him, at his father, at his country, and launch a cowardly attack (last spring), something's gotta give. Especially since Khabib didn't see any of this as "showmanship"-- that was obvious.

He went into the ring to punish MacGregor, and I think he was serious when he said, pre-fight, that the only way the Irishman could stop him is if he killed him.

And he showed that he prepared for this fight. He set out to dominate MacGregor. And he did.

A real shame he lost composure (but I sympathize/empathize). He will be severely punished for his actions.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm just glad Connor got his ass handed to him. The domination was real and he got man handled. I remember watching some video analysis of some idiot breaking down the press showdown and how Kabib was scared just because he was still and motionless for the most part and wasn't reacting much if at all to Connor's usual antics. After all the abuse, personal insults and even that idiotic stunt with the doll thrown at the bus, Connor was blessed that Kabib showed the restraint that he did prior to the fight. Then the fight happened and Connor got murdered. Clown.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That’s right, he was exposed as a clown. That’s all he is now. I doubt very much if he’d accept a rematch, if and when Khabib can fight again.

During the press conference, what I saw was a seriously focused fighter (with contained hatred), who knew he was going to win and win handily. I’m glad he did.
    Precisely. I just hope Khabib isn't punished too harshly for what happened afterwards; however, as wrongvas it was I must admit that madness was entertaining.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Precisely. I just hope Khabib isn't punished too harshly for what happened afterwards; however, as wrongvas it was I must admit that madness was entertaining.

Agreed-- and it shows he's the fearless one, not Connor the Clown
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Did anyone watch the post fight conference? Dana White did not look comfortable.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Did anyone watch the post fight conference? Dana White did not look comfortable.

He was none too pleased. I suppose it's a fine line with White; he has to let Connor "do his thing", but he should also temper some of the more outrageous bile that spills from his gob. Plus, a very real incident took place between these two in April.

One could clearly see at the press conference that Khabib was not enjoying any of the banter. And once you cross over and insult someone's family...

As one of the post-fight people were saying: Khabib is respectful and took the insults personally.

I'm glad Connor was dominated and had absolutely no answer, whether standing up (his "striking power" (specialty) was useless), or on the mat.

I too hope the Vegas Commission goes soft on Khabib as a first time offender (not sure if that will have any relevancy at all)
    He should be uncomfortable. They paid Connor and are with holding Khabib's! Yet, the UFC are the same ones who used the bus incident as part of the fight's promo. Bullshit. That's an insult and a mockery. That bus incident was personal and endangered people's lives. Connor tapping out was a professional win, everything else that happened after was understandable vengeance.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    doubleoego wrote: »
    He should be uncomfortable. They paid Connor and are with holding Khabib's! Yet, the UFC are the same ones who used the bus incident as part of the fight's promo. Bullshit. That's an insult and a mockery. That bus incident was personal and endangered people's lives. Connor tapping out was a professional win, everything else that happened after was understandable vengeance.

Yes, I can't and don't understand the witholding of Khabib's purse? I don't know, or don't understand the logic behind that?

He won the fight (clearly and absolutely), he deserves his winnings. Fine him for what happened after, but witholding what's rightfully his (including the belts???)... I don't get it.
    Dana White also said that not reprimanding Khabib would send out the wrong message. Yet after the bus incident, Connor got a measly 5 days community service. It's a good message to send out, the bigger you are, the less you need to pay for your actions. And even if the belt is withheld from Khabib, we will all know who the true winner is.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Dana White also said that not reprimanding Khabib would send out the wrong message. Yet after the bus incident, Connor got a measly 5 days community service. It's a good message to send out, the bigger you are, the less you need to pay for your actions. And even if the belt is withheld from Khabib, we will all know who the true winner is.

Without a doubt.
    Connor McGregor's broken ankle from last nights fight vs Poirer was brutal, I won't post images on here though it was bad.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2021 Posts: 17,804
    Sad news for the world of boxing. Chris Eubank's boxer son Sebastian drowned in Dubai recently:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57786230
    I’ve seen the clip of the McGreggor v Poirer fight. Oh lawd, legs aren’t meant to bend that way. That has to be a career ending injury surely. I can’t imagine that the bone will be as strong as it was before.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Sad news for the world of boxing. Chris Eubank's boxer son Sebastian drowned in Dubai recently:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57786230

Very sad news.
    I’ve seen the clip of the McGreggor v Poirer fight. Oh lawd, legs aren’t meant to bend that way. That has to be a career ending injury surely. I can’t imagine that the bone will be as strong as it was before.

Conner's response after the match was a bit much.