The Brosnan era was actually more fun for Bond fans

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Daniel316 wrote: »
    Inb4 it turns into a semi Bond reunion party movie and it has Craig return as well. Haven't seen Knives Out yet so idk if anything happens to Craig or not, no spoils pls I'd like to see it at some point

Well...

He's in the movie. :>
  • Daniel316Daniel316 United States
    I know that lmao, I've heard he's pretty funny in it too, plus Don Johnson is in it too which makes me wanna see it more
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    I've always felt that Brosnan should've played Bond more like Julian Noble, IMO.
    If you found TWINE fun and DAD didn't give you just a little bit of a headache then good for you.
    Ok? Idk how DAD would give you a headache though lol
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    TWINE doesn't give me a headache, but it does make me feel sleepy.
    TWINE is the worst Bond film by virtue of being the dullest
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Getafix wrote: »

The only Bond film I’ve ever fallen asleep to is Octopussy, but I’m about to watch it again so maybe I’ll gain a new appreciation for it. I could never disrespect Brosnan by falling asleep while he’s on the screen.
    OP is one of my personal top 10. Love that movie. It is also unusual in having a third act that is arguably the strongest part of the film.

And anyone who doesn't like the clown suit can get lost IMO. One of the best sequences in any Bond film.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada

The only Bond film I’ve ever fallen asleep to is Octopussy, but I’m about to watch it again so maybe I’ll gain a new appreciation for it. I could never disrespect Brosnan by falling asleep while he’s on the screen.

For me it would be A View To A Kill; I've fallen asleep on my last two viewings. Something I've never done with any other Bond film.

A shame really, I don't dislike any of the movies... but that one in particular just doesn't have enough energy after the PTS.
    Maybe it's just age?
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    Maybe it's just age?

I'm in my thirties. I have a wife and two children... I don't think it's a maturity issue.
    The 80s was pretty dull as well, aside from TLD.
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just age?

I'm in my thirties. I have a wife and two children... I don't think it's a maturity issue.

I mean age as in getting older, not maturity. A wife and 2 kids tires you out ergo you fall asleep watching OP.
    Tbh I liked the 80's Bond films, though TLD was by far the weakest of that era while FYEO was probably the best in a very close battle with Licence To Kill.
    You are literally insane. As in someone needs to lock you up and throw away the key into the ocean!

;)
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,497
    LTK is great, TLD is ok but I used to prefer it over it's successor.

Not anymore. ;)
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 11,425
    Tbh I liked the 80's Bond films, though TLD was by far the weakest of that era while FYEO was probably the best in a very close battle with Licence To Kill.

After the 60s I'd say the 80s was Bonds best decade. Glen did a brilliant job. I like all those films. AVTAK is a weaker entry but plenty to enjoy still. FYEO and OP top notch IMO.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

After the 60s I'd say the 80s was Bonds best decade. Glen did a brilliant job. I like all those films. AVTAK is a weaker entry but plenty to enjoy still. FYEO and OP top notch IMO.

TLD & LTK are the highlight of the 80's. Glen did a brilliant job.
    Dalton deserves a much better director than Glen, who I just feel is utterly pedestrian as a director.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    When it comes to Glen, his films gave us the best action of the series. Maybe not all of them (the Fire Engine chase from AVTAK was a dud), but most of them certainly. And while I have no qualms abotu putting Glen in my top 3 Bond directors, 5 films was enough.
    suavejmf wrote: »

I agree. They're all good. Brilliant action, nice level of humour mostly. Plenty of tension, dram and thrills along the way. Just lots of entertainment and rewatch value.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 3,279
    suavejmf wrote: »

I agree. TLD is a classic, whereas LTK resides in my top 5, and I doubt will ever be beaten as a modern take on a Fleming inspired movie, without relying on one particular novel.

To me, LTK is the perfect template example to what P&W should have been working from to create a Fleming inspired script, instead of most of the garbage they have dreamed up, and then falsely claiming to be `going back to Fleming'.
    I can't describe LTK as perfect but I certainly enjoy it a lot more than most of what P&W gave us. The 2 Dalton entries are flawed but highly entertaining entries in the series. If TLD maintained the quality of its first half all the way through it would be amongst the very best - it's still possibly top 5 for me.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 210
    My issue with TLD mainly is it's plot (Is complex at first and not explained well), The pacing is all over the bloody place with the movie never stopping to breathe so you get all these plot elements one after another and they never have time to be explained or be resolved. Koskov is an atrocious villain and while Whitaker is better he still falls flat due to lack of screentime and poor writing (The Final Duel with him and Bond is fantastic though), Necros is good although I feel Stamper is a much better Grant clone than Necros.

That Felix is god awful as well, feeling more like some 80's sitcom character thrown onto a Bond set and made to be Felix, it's a joke really. My last issue is probably that a lot of stuff could be cut down because some of it feels like it's added on for the sake of expanding screentime (same issue You Only Live Twice had imo) and really you could cut them down or out entirely and nothing of value is lost (mainly lots of the Afghan scenes, they tend to drag). Oh and the Score by John Barry is insanely repetitive and there's only like 6 genuinely great tracks while the rest are forgettable or bland remixes of the fantastic title theme.

Overall TLD is a decent movie but it's got serious flaws that hurt it and I feel the other 80's movies were just overall better handled and more enjoyable than TLD is. Thankfully Dalton got a fantastic movie that fixed pretty much every issue with TLD in the form of LTK. LTK is fantastic.

Edit: MakeShiftPython: Nice to see the old "You're insane if you don't have X opinion" schtick
    My issue with TLD mainly is it's plot (Is complex at first and not explained well), The pacing is all over the bloody place with the movie never stopping to breathe so you get all these plot elements one after another and they never have time to be explained or be resolved. Koskov is an atrocious villain and while Whitaker is better he still falls flat due to lack of screentime and poor writing (The Final Duel with him and Bond is fantastic though), Necros is good although I feel Stamper is a much better Grant clone than Necros.

That Felix is god awful as well, feeling more like some 80's sitcom character thrown onto a Bond set and made to be Felix, it's a joke really. My last issue is probably that a lot of stuff could be cut down because some of it feels like it's added on for the sake of expanding screentime (same issue You Only Live Twice had imo) and really you could cut them down or out entirely and nothing of value is lost (mainly lots of the Afghan scenes, they tend to drag). Oh and the Score by John Barry is insanely repetitive and there's only like 6 genuinely great tracks while the rest are forgettable or bland remixes of the fantastic title theme.

Overall TLD is a decent movie but it's got serious flaws that hurt it and I feel the other 80's movies were just overall better handled and more enjoyable than TLD is. Thankfully Dalton got a fantastic movie that fixed pretty much every issue with TLD in the form of LTK. LTK is fantastic.

Edit: MakeShiftPython: Nice to see the old "You're insane if you don't have X opinion" schtick

idEafgG.gif
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I haven’t seen NOVEMBER MAN. Looked cheesy with that one line where some guy described why they call him the “November man”.

It's pretty good. Brosnan is excellent in it.
    Agreed, November Man is a great time. Olga is done much better justice in that movie compared to Quantum Of Solace.
    Agreed, November Man is a great time. Olga is done much better justice in that movie compared to Quantum Of Solace.

Cuz she nekkid? :-?
    Well I mean that's ahem a good thing but also her character had more layers, she got more screentime, she contributed to the plot, she got to show off her skills more and the character was much better written than Camile. Honestly her November man character is similar to Camille in a few ways.