Oscars Predictions 2018

Well, the nominations are in, and it's time to place our bets as to who is going to win the Oscars this year. And like each year, I'm going to start with the Best Song award.

Mighty River from Mudbound

Love the gospel sound on this one. And Mary J. Blige is a great singer. I think it has a very good chance to win.

Mystery of Love from Call Me by my Name

Doesn't do a thing for me, I'm afraid.

Remember Me from Coco

I kinda like this one. Given that it's from an animated movie, it stands a good chance, I think.

Stand Up For Something from Marshall

I love that one. I feel like we have a winner.

This is Me from The Greatest Showman

I got tears in my eyes listening to this one. I sense another winner.

So, we get three songs with a very good chance to win, one that has the potential to be an outsider, and one that, IMHO, has no hcnace. Seems like 2017 was a good year for movie songs.

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wow, those are all utterly dreadful.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I hope Dunkirk does well, although it's quite unlikely. As usual with the Academy Awards, politics will come into play. I'd imagine a sort of #MeToo sweep this year, so look for films with a large female contribution.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I hope Dunkirk does well, although it's quite unlikely. As usual with the Academy Awards, politics will come into play. I'd imagine a sort of #MeToo sweep this year, so look for films with a large female contribution.

Good thing then that those films are of high quality (Lady Bird, The Shape of Water, and so I’ve heard Three Billboards). Moonlight, which I’m quite sure won because of political reasons, was really an average film I thought.
    I used to make Oscar predictions just for fun, but in recent years I just haven't cared much.

Most of these Best Picture nominees anymore just don't have any staying power anymore that you would want to revisit years down the road. All I heard a year ago was La La Land and nobody talks about that anymore except with the Best Picture controversy. Maybe it's just from my lack of enthusiasm for film in general, save for Bond, MI and a few other things.

I did see Get Out and really liked it. It left me entertained and with a lot to think about afterwards, which is what a film of lasting quality should do. Dunkirk and The Post I'd also check out. But things like Lady Bird and Phantom Thread I just don't think I'd want to devote 2 hours to. I often have a sense that's pretty reliable as to whether or not I will like something or not.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,675
    I'm going to go with Greatest Showman.

EDIT: Are we going to do more than just original song like last year? The next category never came and the thread went silent until the actual night.
    Somebody will win and somebody will disagree about winning and then there will be talking about movies being snubbed, and they probably are really not.

It will be nice show and there will be another one next year.

And I still will watch the movies I want to see regardless of anybody winning.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I predict no black people will win. How could they?
    I find that rather cold who can forget about the South Americans?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    bondjames wrote: »

Dunkirk was my film of 2017 from the films I have seen so far, it's technically brilliant.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 17,727
    SaintMark wrote: »

It was said with irony, but you get my point I'm sure. I know that irony does not translate well outside of the UK.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

It was said with irony, but you get my point I'm sure. I know that irony does not translate well outside of the UK.

Poor old UK nothing of them translates well outside of the UK I guess.

If you want to go ethnic do not forget any, otherwise PC wise you will be accused by somebody of isms. ;)
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

If you want to go ethnic do not forget any, otherwise PC wise you will be accused by somebody of isms. ;)

Ism ism ism - John Lennon, Give Peace a Chance.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Somebody will win and somebody will disagree about winning and then there will be talking about movies being snubbed, and they probably are really not.

It will be nice show and there will be another one next year.

And I still will watch the movies I want to see regardless of anybody winning.

I'll recommend films to my friend for months, then as soon as they get an Oscar nomination, he kicks it into overdrive with the need to see it. I don't understand why these shows are taken so seriously.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

If you want to slag someone off stick to white, heterosexual males. Then no one on Twitter will even think about castigating you as they are the only group in society everyone universally despises.

Ism ism ism - John Lennon, Give Peace a Chance.

Give PC a chance?

Presume we've all stuck a monkey on Greta Gerwig for best director? There's no one else even in the hunt is there?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Dunkirk at least deserves a couple Oscars. Clearly the best film of the year by some way.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,727

Yes, it's a veritable minefield, old chap!