Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    On Her Majesties Secret Service > Octopussy - as much as I love OP, Majesties is top notch.

You Only Live Twice > Moonraker - I'd rather take the rather ludicrous premise to YOLT than the equally ludicrous premise and inane humour of MR. Both the cinematography, production design and the soundtrack are of the highest standard in both, however.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    YOLT and OHMSS. Easy peasy.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    MR over YOLT: Both are great OTT Bond flicks, but MR is relentless in the entertaining globetrotting, mixing and matching fun action scenes, with romance scenes, and some stealthy sleuthing. YOLT is a fun romp but as we were just discussing in the comments when you watch thread, the second half starts to drag before the volcano lair.

OHMSS over OP: Just watched OHMSS and it's still firmly in my top ten. It's trending slightly downward in 2017 for me. I could see OP surpassing in the future. OP was once dead last for me, but it has increases steadily in the past two years and probably sits at 10-13. Just another fun romp from start to end as Moore and Jourdan are two legends that keep the film so engaging.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    First close match. Another win for the 60s.

YOLT beats MR 14-10

OHMSS beats OP 20-4

Round 6:

FRWL vs DAF

and

FRWL vs TMWTGG

Second Young vs second Hamilton, also second Connery vs second Moore
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agree with that. FRWL smashes it out of the thread again.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Yeah, FRWL beats both DAF and TMWTGG, no contest.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,005
    DAF
    and
    TMWTGG

Both belong to my favorites, FRWL I find somewhat lackluster in comparison, it lacks the exciting sets, the fantastic element that DN provided so well.
    TMWTGG is a unique, fantasy-filled and fun, very atmospheric film that features the best of all Bond villains.
    FRWL doesn't have a villain of note, there is Grant and Klebb, but both are henchmen with no real vision than blind obedience. Perfectly acted though, no doubt.
    DAF sets the tone perfectly for what's to come in the 70s. I love Tiffany to bits and Charles Gray is irresistible as Blofeld, my favorite Blofeld clearly.
    FRWL found me slightly bored when I watched it the first time, it also lacks the grand finale against the main villain that doesn't exist. Not counting Blofeld in FRWL naturally.
    The story though is brilliant, so is Kerim Bey, I wish he and Bond would have faced some villain in a finale. The film also feels way too much like something from Hitchcock in many parts, that works well for the film but works against a Bond film as far as I'm concerned.
  • GBFGBF
    FRWL wins both...
    No contest.

FRWL wins both.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,984
    FRWL butchers them both. Probably better in every conceivable aspect.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    From Russia With Love absolutely trounces this match up.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FRWL vs DAF: FRWL

and

FRWL vs TMWTGG: FRWL

One of the easier rounds.
  • BennyBenny keeping tabs on youAdministrator, Moderator
    An easy win for FRWL in both rounds.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This is a more difficult decision for me than for most.

FRWL is my #1 ranked film (a position it has held for more than a decade). However, both the Hamilton entries are just so much fun. Unlike many members here, I have a real soft spot for all three of his consecutive early 70's efforts. They are charismatic and idiosyncratic films with a nice combination of insouciance and tension. Sure, they are a bit cheap and gaudy in places, but that's part of the charm as far as I'm concerned.

So FRWL wins both rounds here, but my heart bleeds.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,739
    I love TMWTGG but FRWL is an espionage masterpiece. In the end FRWL takes it home without a doubt.

DAF is ok and FRWL beats that one with even more ease.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    FRWL and FRWL
    FRWL destroys both.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    @bondjames
    Glad to read your comment.
    I'm almost a bit gutted that DAF and TMWTGG seem not to be general favorites here.
    I chose both over FRWL. See my comments on the last page.
    But then what do I know ;) I've only seen the films once and am currently on my second Bondathon.
    @Andi1996Ruegg I just read it. Great points and I agree wholeheartedly with your defense of TMWTGG/DAF (two films that often get a drubbing here). One has to be in a certain frame of mind to excuse some of the quirks and take in all the great stuff that Hamilton brings to these two films. So much character and zaniness.

I don't disagree with your comments on FRWL either. It's not for everyone. The pacing is a bit slow and it's more of a suspense thriller. A film which predates the film formula that began in earnest with GF. You're right about the Hitchcock aspects too. When I first saw this film as a kid I thought it was quite boring too. It was only within the last 15 years or so that I began to appreciate it for the classic that it is. All I can ask is that you give it time and revisit from time to time. It's a grower, precisely because it is so unique. It's also very atmospheric and has an underlying romantic (not just guy/gal but also overall flavour) flair to it.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,739
    @bondjames and @Andi1996Ruegg You're not alone guys, I have been a staunch TMWTGG defender ever since the beginning of my Bond years. Hence my username ;)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    This one is tough.

FRWL over DAF

TMWTGG over FRWL
    @GoldenGun, yes I know and I've always appreciated your positive comments on the film. One of my personal faves.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    FRWL beats DAF and TMWTGG hands down.
    Love TMWTGG, very fun film with a great villian.
    DAF not so much, it lacks good action and a good villian and much more.
    FRWL however is top tier Bond, and therefor wins both easy.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    FRWL is my favourite Bond film - so easily wins over the two weakest entries of Connery and Moore respectively.

Even though I have a greater affinity with MWTGG now after visiting Scaramanaga's island this year.
  • FRWL, FRWL
    I will say I prefer TMWTGG to DAF, but both are bottom-tier Bond films in my ranking.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I will say I prefer TMWTGG to DAF, but both are bottom-tier Bond films in my ranking.

yeah, DAF is rock bottom and I dont think TMWTGG is much higher for me
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 684
    I think I rate FRWL lower than most of the crowd here, and DAF somewhat higher, but both these matches still go to FRWL for me.

@Andi1996Ruegg I envy your having only seen them once. It instantly makes your judgement valuable in such a different way to any of us who have seen them so many times we know them all too well (or think we do).
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I'll take FRWL over both this round. DAF has risen slightly in more recent years and TMWTGG stays consistently in the latter half of my rankings.