A great injustice - let the forum be my jury

edited August 2017 in MI6 Headlines & Feedback Posts: 7
Dear Mods, in case you delete this message I have sent it to various trusted members to repost. The truth must be heard.



I am the banned member @The_Donald

It is true that I have previously been a member on this site. However it is nearly a year since my last appearance, and I have since improved as a human being. I think you can see that in my posting history. I still like feisty debate, but surely that is the best kind. I always try to be respectful. I have not received one warning or any message from the mods as @The_Donald

Now you may be thinking that the rule is once banned, you are never allowed to return. Well ok but here's what bothers me. Early on in my membership as @The_Donald I informed one of the mods (@DarthDimi) that I was a previously banned member, and that I thought honesty was the best policy. The mods never replied to that message, so I assumed they were tacitly accepting of my stay here. It was completely out of the blue that I found I had been banned.

As I say I was never warned once by the moderators during my stay. There was one incident where I unfairly jumped on another member. I apologised to that member very quickly via PM and he graciously accepted. I was going to write in the thread about my apologising, but in the end I thought no one would be interested. I hope this was not the reason for an insta ban. Apart from that I think I was a positive contributor to the forum.

Randomly, without warning I was banned after about 170 posts. Now bearing in mind I had volunteered my identity to the mods early on, why did they let me continue posting for several weeks, if the reason for the ban was my identity? In particular I was the current host of the 'guess the character' thread. I am very annoyed that I wasted my time thinking of clues and updating the game, when all along I was apparently scheduled for extermination.

In summary, if the reason for my ban is because of my identity, why was my message to them not swiftly answered by saying 'you are going to be banned'? That way I would not have wasted my time particularly on the guess the character thread, which mods knew I was hosting.

If the reason was not because of my identity, and that would explain the long delay between my message and me actually being banned, then what incident provoked it?

It seems to me like it was just done on a whim; perhaps they didn't like the cut of my jib and thought my identity was a readymade excuse. I see a mod @MajorDSmythe has explained my expulsion as being the result of my identity, but strangely he does not reveal that several weeks prior I had informed them of that identity and nothing had been said or done about it.

Moderators do a fine job on the whole; in my previous lives they probably got it just about right. However, they are not above the law, and in this case it is clear that they have presided over a miscarriage of justice.
«1

Comments

  • I am requesting that the mods reinstate @The_Donald.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Posts: 13,384
    I think everyone deserves a second chance, but as I now nothing about this. I'm guessing
    The Mod's were keeping an eye on posting and "attitude " to see if any old habits were
    Returning ?
    Being a mod isn't easy, like a ref in football, you'll get plenty of people telling you where
    You're going wrong, but not many words of praise.
    As the mods have the facts, we have to respect their decisions.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,405
    "Above the law"? What are you talking about? There's no 'statute of limitations' on when a moderator has to act once they find out you're breaking the rules. You wasted your own time by creating multiple accounts on the forum after you'd been banned.
    The_Donald was your second life and you only live twice.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 7
    I think everyone deserves a second chance, but as I now nothing about this. I'm guessing
    The Mod's were keeping an eye on posting and "attitude " to see if any old habits were
    Returning ?
    Being a mod isn't easy, like a ref in football, you'll get plenty of people telling you where
    You're going wrong, but not many words of praise.
    As the mods have the facts, we have to respect their decisions.

    My posting history is there for all to view and judge. I did nothing to warrant a ban. Many of my posts were in the guess the character thread. Even in the thread about the longest serving bond where there was a feisty but nice debate, I was the one who said 'I think we're close to agreeing now' when things could have escalated.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It was this or the priesthood.
    Posts: 28,231
    @The_Donald, @Trump_on_trial

    Like the man who inspired your moniker, you are becoming your own worst enemy and soiling your own best intentions.

    I don't think we've had terribly prickly debates (that I remember), and we've had some good Bond related ones discussing certain things. I don't know what you post in other threads so I can't comment on your behavior in the grand scheme, and only say that to me you've not been an issue.

    That being said, you really weren't helping yourself by coming back after an old ban and a string of past misbehavior, and to top it off you chose to name yourself after you-know-who as you made your return, a username which was going to get you into trouble and invite conflict (surely you say that coming?). Of all the Bond related names out there to pick, or instead of crafting a new/original one, you had to go there. Even on top of that, after your second ban you have chosen to have you-know-who once again inspire your second (technically third) account as you try to gain sympathy with the community. See the disconnect there?

    If the mods show you some mercy and understanding, you should go a long way towards repaying them for how overly dramatic you've been about it all. As it stands you put a target on your back and invited some of this response on yourself from the very beginning. To you the mods appear to have "presided over a miscarriage of justice," but this ain't law and order and it's that theatrical response that is part of the issue here.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 7
    @The_Donald, @Trump_on_trial

    Like the man who inspired your moniker, you are becoming your own worst enemy and soiling your own best intentions.

    I don't think we've had terribly prickly debates (that I remember), and we've had some good Bond related ones discussing certain things. I don't know what you post in other threads so I can't comment on your behavior in the grand scheme, and only say that to me you've not been an issue.

    That being said, you really weren't helping yourself by coming back after an old ban and a string of past misbehavior, and to top it off you chose to name yourself after you-know-who as you made your return, a username which was going to get you into trouble and invite conflict (surely you say that coming?). Of all the Bond related names out there to pick, or instead of crafting a new/original one, you had to go there. Even on top of that, after your second ban you have chosen to have you-know-who once again inspire your second (technically third) account as you try to gain sympathy with the community. See the disconnect there?

    If the mods show you some mercy and understanding, you should go a long way towards repaying them for how overly dramatic you've been about it all. As it stands you put a target on your back and invited some of this response on yourself from the very beginning. To you the mods appear to have "presided over a miscarriage of justice," but this ain't law and order and it's that theatrical response that is part of the issue here.

    I understand and agree with much of what you say. I didn't know how else to go about getting my side of the story across though. You are right about the theatrical language.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Posts: 943
    Trump_on_trial/The_Donald - you've registered again but broken cover immediately?!

    Personally I had/have no issue with you as a poster. I must point out that it has been my experience of MI6 that the moderators are very fair and even handed. I could tell you a story about how I was banned without warning and for no wrongdoing from another 007 forum (though the mod who did misled the membership of that site by stating he had 'personally warned me'). It is in instances such as that when you can raise a question of integrity.

    Things get heated here at times but, much to their credit, the Mod team know when to stand aside or to intervene. Personally, although I cannot visit as often as I would like, I like this site and the atmosphere it generates among its membership.

    If the Mod team were aware of your 're-enlistment' I read it as they may have been giving you the chance to prove yourself after your last banning? I don't know what happened then, it is none of my business anyway.

    Given my experiences of the way MI6 is managed, I have absolutely no reason to believe that there would have been any impropriety on the part of the Mods.

    The only advice I can offer is to communicate with the Mods. They know the full story. If they then chose to lift the ban then all well and good for you. If they choose to abide by their ruling then you must accept it.

    Best wishes.



  • edited August 2017 Posts: 7
    stag wrote: »
    Trump_on_trial/The_Donald - you've registered again but broken cover immediately?!

    Personally I had/have no issue with you as a poster. I must point out that it has been my experience of MI6 that the moderators are very fair and even handed. I could tell you a story about how I was banned without warning and for no wrongdoing from another 007 forum (though the mod who did misled the membership of that site by stating he had 'personally warned me'). It is in instances such as that when you can raise a question of integrity.

    Things get heated here at times but, much to their credit, the Mod team know when to stand aside or to intervene. Personally, although I cannot visit as often as I would like, I like this site and the atmosphere it generates among its membership.

    If the Mod team were aware of your 're-enlistment' I read it as they may have been giving you the chance to prove yourself after your last banning? I don't know what happened then, it is none of my business anyway.

    Given my experiences of the way MI6 is managed, I have absolutely no reason to believe that there would have been any impropriety on the part of the Mods.

    The only advice I can offer is to communicate with the Mods. They know the full story. If they then chose to lift the ban then all well and good for you. If they choose to abide by their ruling then you must accept it.

    Best wishes.

    Thank you. I agree the mods do a good job here are on the whole. I too thought I was being given a chance to show I had changed, and as I say, I think I have done that. I was very surprised to see I was suddenly banned.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It was this or the priesthood.
    Posts: 28,231
    Well if I'm terribly honest you were better behaved than some long-standing members I've seen over the years, so from my perspective you've been relatively innocuous and nothing comes to mind when I search for an out of line comment from you.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    After all the chit-chat on here only the Mods can answer your question at the end of the day.
    They have obviously banned you for a reason which is logical to them ,so you are best to DM them to find out.

    Mud-flinging in public on here wont do you much good,no matter how aggrieved you feel,and the Mods wont comment too much if at all about the ban on the open forum.

    I also have had no problem with you,but that doesn't mean much in the big picture.

    DM the particular Mods who you want an explanation from,and im sure they will reciprocate.

    Good luck.
  • Posts: 7,063
    Patethetique! This is between you and the mods. No reason to drag in the rest of us!
  • Posts: 4,414
    Poor me Poor me, IMHO we dont need this type of self pity and bleating on the forum, PM the mods and have a grown up conversation. Considering all thats happening on the planet , phrases like "a great injustice" do you no favours. Its a Bond fan forum, not the European Court of Human Rights.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 7
    patb wrote: »
    Poor me Poor me, IMHO we dont need this type of self pity and bleating on the forum, PM the mods and have a grown up conversation. Considering all thats happening on the planet , phrases like "a great injustice" do you no favours. Its a Bond fan forum, not the European Court of Human Rights.

    I have already admitted the overly theatrical language. I'm not having it drafted by a solicitor so I can't be perfect haha. It's not self pity at all. If you were suddenly banned you would justifiably want to know why. The problem with going through private channels is if the authorities wish, no one need know of their existence.
  • BennyBenny ...OctobennyAdministrator, Moderator
    Posts: 11,943
    Oh no I banned him.
    Sorry for that folks. Generally we don't discuss such things. I will say he was a multiple account holder,who was found out.
    His pleas have once again been heard. 99% of our members seem to get it right. It's not hard. But somehow we're unfair when you get banned multiple times. I'm also not sorry for the time he wasted. Sue me.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Posts: 3,573
    Benny wrote: »
    Oh no I banned him.
    Sorry for that folks. Generally we don't discuss such things. I will say he was a multiple account holder,who was found out.
    His pleas have once again been heard. 99% of our members seem to get it right. It's not hard. But somehow we're unfair when you get banned multiple times. I'm also not sorry for the time he wasted. Sue me.

    Hooray! Thanks @Benny
  • Posts: 19,339
    Benny wrote: »
    Oh no I banned him.
    Sorry for that folks. Generally we don't discuss such things. I will say he was a multiple account holder,who was found out.
    His pleas have once again been heard. 99% of our members seem to get it right. It's not hard. But somehow we're unfair when you get banned multiple times. I'm also not sorry for the time he wasted. Sue me.

    There we go ,Benster has spoken,sorted.

    And tbh multiple account holding is something I agree should lead to a ban,i don't understand why people even do it.

    Strange world we live in.

  • DragonpolDragonpol The Crazy World of David Dragonpol
    edited August 2017 Posts: 14,731
    You need to contact the mods and be very nice to them and if you are they might just allow you back for one final chance. But ultimately it's up to them. None of us ordinary members can really do anything to help you at this stage. For the record, I had no problem with you either and you replied to a few of my threads just fine.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 7,447
    This dude was banned years ago (more than once), begged for a second chance about two years ago, which he was given. Stirred things up from day one of re-instatement, got banned. Came back as @The_Donald by which time he had had his nine lives.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Still waiting for the Jena Malone Batwoman movie that's never going to be made.Moderator
    Posts: 11,954
    His list of past accounts is...

    tenor.gif
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    I enjoyed his posts as @The_Donald. He was a charismatic and interesting member here who provided a counter viewpoint to the usual blathering. It's a pity about his past, which I am not privy to, but in his last iteration at least I found him quite engaging and informed.
  • Posts: 19,339
    bondjames wrote: »
    I enjoyed his posts as @The_Donald. He was a charismatic and interesting member here who provided a counter viewpoint to the usual blathering. It's a pity about his past, which I am not privy to, but in his last iteration at least I found him quite engaging and informed.

    But for how long,and if they let him back then they will have to consider that with all banned members,making a rod for their own backs.

  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    barryt007 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I enjoyed his posts as @The_Donald. He was a charismatic and interesting member here who provided a counter viewpoint to the usual blathering. It's a pity about his past, which I am not privy to, but in his last iteration at least I found him quite engaging and informed.

    But for how long,and if they let him back then they will have to consider that with all banned members,making a rod for their own backs.
    It's none of my business what they do. I'm just stating that I enjoyed his posts and his somewhat different take on things. It's refreshing to read counterpoints to the usual stuff around here. That's my view anyway.

    If he had pm'd the mods and informed them ahead of time that he was back as he said, didn't get a response, and then was banned without communication, it certainly seems strange though. It would have been more appropriate to take him out faster, before he engaged other members in conversation for a length of time. Better not to have known him at all than to have discussions with him and then see him gone for something we aren't privy to.

    Anyway, that's all I have to say about it.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Posts: 3,573
    His list of past accounts is...

    tenor.gif

    I'm sorry. That's just too funny!
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Posts: 943
    Firstly, apologies in advance for what many will see as dumb questions, but my lack of expertise in things internetery leads me to ask the following:

    Why should anyone wish to register more than one account with a chat based internet forum?

    The fact that The_Donald was so easily able to register a new account must point to a flaw in the system somewhere? If a member is banned, then surely there are protocols within the machinery of the site which prevents them from re-joining? If not The_Donald and anyone else, can just come and go as they please with impunity?

    Again, I'll just state that I had no personal issues with him as a member. That the moderation team chose to remove him is their decision and I'm sure they had good reason.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 34,963
    More than one account registered at one time? Who knows, I don't question the motives of people who do that. But creating a duplicate account after you're banned is a big no-no - hence the ban. Has nothing to do with thoughts/opinions of that user and everything to do with if you're banned, you're banned. Creating a new account isn't a workaround to that.
  • Posts: 19,339
    Makes sense to me....As Bond said to Paris : "you've made your bed......"
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,395
    I'm curious @Trump_on_trial, what was your old username? When you were banned the first time. I don't remember you doing anything wrong on your @The_Donald account but it's hard for us to judge the situation when we don't
    know who you were before or what you did to get yourself banned originally. You could be @Touchmybuttons/@Dressed2Kill/etc for all we know.
  • Posts: 4,414
    It undermines the role/authority of the mods with threads like this. Members are not the jury. We have no say in these things. It's the Mods decision and we should respect that. They run the forum. This is not a democracy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 34,963
    I'm curious @Trump_on_trial, what was your old username? When you were banned the first time. I don't remember you doing anything wrong on your @The_Donald account but it's hard for us to judge the situation when we don't
    know who you were before or what you did to get yourself banned originally.

    @The_Donald account WAS already a duplicate account. His first account went through the usual friendly warning + three warnings before he received his ban like everyone else, so we aren't playing favorites or being harsh here. He returned and let us know (for some reason) and we were kind enough to give him one last shot, and he immediately blew it.
  • patb wrote: »
    It undermines the role/authority of the mods with threads like this. Members are not the jury. We have no say in these things. It's the Mods decision and we should respect that. They run the forum. This is not a democracy.

    True but even forgetting that for a minute @Trump_on_trial isn't helping himself. He's slating the mods and asking us to back him up but hasn't even given us the full story (his old username). It's one thing to say I've changed since then but he could have posted child porn or something for all we know.

    I'm just curious to be honest because as Brady said, there have been longstanding members who've done worse than anything on his @The_Donald account (can think of a very recent case of racism that wasn't addressed at all and wasn't the first time I've had issues with that member either) and haven't had any action taken against them. So it all depends on why he was banned originally. If it was for something stupid like double posting too much or going off topic I don't see why he shouldn't be given another chance as he was posting as @The_Donald without causing any issues. But if he was banned for something more serious then fair enough I can see why they wouldn't want him back.
This discussion has been closed.