What Would Modern-Day Bond Read? The Economist, New York Times, Or Other?

BMWTREKPSEBMWTREKPSE Colorado
in Literary 007 Posts: 105
This might vary depending on region, but I'm curios what you think Bond would read to keep up with world news. He is very educated on international affairs and I'm curious what a real-life modern day bond would be reading.

I read a interesting post on James Bond Lifestyle yesterday about what Bond would do in his 10-20's, 20-30's, 30-40's and one of the big parts of the 10-30 time frame was education. Education of langue and international affairs and it got me thinking, 'what should I be reading' to live a Bond lifestyle?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Tea leaves. :)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The Times - Bond read it in the novels and his obituary even featured in it! I follow his lead. The best of the nation l newspapers in the UK in my view. The Economist would be a good source of world news too.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I read The Economist, so I'm partial to it. I think Bond would definitely read that for a global perspective, and then a local broadsheet.
  • BMWTREKPSEBMWTREKPSE Colorado
    Anyone have opinions on what Reddit user jamedudijench said:

'WSJ in the mornings, Tom Clancy novels by night? Or whatever the UK equivalents are, something like that. He was always well read in the books. Like, in Live and Let Die, he read (almost?) an entire book on voodoo before taking on Mr. Big. In Moonraker, I think he brushed up on Bridge in a playing card book before playing at The Blades.
    So I feel like today, Bond would be on the Web constantly brushing up on any considerably mundane interest. He's a gear head somewhat so for sure Car and Driver, Consumer Reports, Nat Geo, stuff on firearms, mixed drinks, GQ, pretty much a wide range of things he's both into and not yet into.'

REDDIT THREAD
  • Playboy
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bond has never struck me as a newspaper reader, not even Fleming's original. I expect he gets enough of a picture from his files and paperwork at MI6, and may only lightly look at the press but not with any conviction or tradition.

If Bond were around today, I certainly don't think he'd be reading. Too much slander, misdirection, triviality, etc. out there to trust. When reading the press leaves you with more questions than answers, it's never a good thing, and in this particular age of faux journalism I don't think Bond would want any part of it, and be indifferent to it altogether.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    He reads Tomorrow of course. ;)
    I feel this question is another way to just ask Bond's political leanings...."What would Bond think of Trump?" "Would Bond have voted for Brexit?", etc.

I feel that Bond is a massive Tory - so I presume he'd go for the Telegraph. However, modern Bond is made by a bunch of Guardian readers. So I suppose the Craig Bond sits somewhere in the middle - probably comfortably reading the Independent.
  • BMWTREKPSEBMWTREKPSE Colorado
    edited August 2017 Posts: 105
    I feel this question is another way to just ask Bond's political leanings...."What would Bond think of Trump?" "Would Bond have voted for Brexit?", etc.

It's not. Please don't start that in this thread hahahahaha. It's simply about what a modern day Bond would read.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

I feel that Bond is a massive Tory - so I presume he'd go for the Telegraph. However, modern Bond is made by a bunch of Guardian readers. So I suppose the Craig Bond sits somewhere in the middle - probably comfortably reading the Independent.

I was going to suggest the Daily Telegraph too. Bond in fact reads it in John Gardner's No Deals, Mr Bond (1987) and possibly elsewhere.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    M has the Guardian and The Times(which Bond reads in the novels) on his desk in SPECTRE.