President Donald Trump and James Bond Villainy?

Comments

I think Donald Trump is too dumb to be a real Bond villain. Certainly not a Blofeld-esque character that pulls the strings from a secret hideout :-). I'd say Trump is more of an ineffective mutation of:

latest?cb=20150720192549
    a president who was merely a puppet in a larger scheme. Because let's face it, the real policy driven agenda is being executed by his close allies/family members (Mike Pence, Kelly, Stephen Bannon).

and:

latest?cb=20160102004212
    A lunatic media mogul, who is seriously considering to escalate a conflict with an Asian country :-P.
    The Sánchez behind Trump's López.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    5490_trump_vs_minion.png
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    5490_trump_vs_minion.png

Despicable.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Me ?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Me ?

I was hoping someone would come through with it. Top honors.
  • I think Donald Trump is too dumb to be a real Bond villain. Certainly not a Blofeld-esque character that pulls the strings from a secret hideout :-). I'd say Trump is more of an ineffective mutation of:

latest?cb=20150720192549
    a president who was merely a puppet in a larger scheme. Because let's face it, the real policy driven agenda is being executed by his close allies/family members (Mike Pence, Kelly, Stephen Bannon).

and:

latest?cb=20160102004212
    A lunatic media mogul, who is seriously considering to escalate a conflict with an Asian country :-P.

Considering Putin's presence behind the scenes here, I'm really starting to miss General Gogol...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    wumo58171b35692696.52093436.png
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 832
    V
    I'd rather EON not limit themselves to drawing villainy from the headlines. I might be up for someone like Carver, who is looking prescient these days, but they've gone there already. I'm sick of the hacking/Snowden/surveillance stuff. Just do something fresh.

If they were to tackle Trump, their biggest task would be in keeping it covert within the story. That is, if they address it in an overt way, I think cinemas around the world are likely to be audibly groaning for the film's entire run, simply because mostly everyone everywhere is sick of the political climate.

Perhaps in two years that satiated feeling will pass, but I doubt it. Especially as another election will be gearing up.

• Donald Trump is president? Of a country?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,564
    Donald Trump is president? Of a country?

A true Simpsons afficianado should remember that the next person in line to succeed The Donald as President of the U.S. is.....Lisa Simpson. Some things are too weird to be made up.

Strog wrote: »
    I'd rather EON not limit themselves to drawing villainy from the headlines. I might be up for someone like Carver, who is looking prescient these days, but they've gone there already. I'm sick of the hacking/Snowden/surveillance stuff. Just do something fresh.

If they were to tackle Trump, their biggest task would be in keeping it covert within the story. That is, if they address it in an overt way, I think cinemas around the world are likely to be audibly groaning for the film's entire run, simply because mostly everyone everywhere is sick of the political climate.

Perhaps in two years that satiated feeling will pass, but I doubt it. Especially as another election will be gearing up.

Eon doesn't really need to devote an entire film to this topic. Just one moment like this should be enough:

http://es.memegenerator.net/instance/73184881/the-queen-and-007-make-it-look-like-an-accident-007
    I'm making America great again, & now I'm going to make James Bond great again.
    Just on the off-chance that the snark here was so subtle I missed it entirely.....

Listen, you Cheeto-colored clown, America was great before you were born, was great just prior to your entrance onto the political stage, and will be great again once you've received a kick to your enormous rump that pushes you back offstage. And for that matter, James Bond has ALWAYS been great. Nothing you can do will ever change that. Go kiss up to your Russian masters, or better yet, just check out of this world entirely. You'll leave the whole world a better place for your passing.

I hope my own snark wasn't too subtle for anybody else around here...
    Is he impeached yet? Noooo...but a grand jury HAS been impaneled.

Of course, a great Bond villain wouldn't give a damn about any grand juries. Goldfinger would send out Oddjob to do some dirty work. Dr. No would send the Three Blind Mice. I expect Trump to resume his tweeting sometime early tomorrow AM.

https://www.topps.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Donald-Trump.png
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Just on the off-chance that the snark here was so subtle I missed it entirely.....

Listen, you Cheeto-colored clown, America was great before you were born, was great just prior to your entrance onto the political stage, and will be great again once you've received a kick to your enormous rump that pushes you back offstage. And for that matter, James Bond has ALWAYS been great. Nothing you can do will ever change that. Go kiss up to your Russian masters, or better yet, just check out of this world entirely. You'll leave the whole world a better place for your passing.

Easy tiger, let's not drift too far into personal feelings on this thread.
  • NicNac wrote: »

Easy tiger, let's not drift too far into personal feelings on this thread.

GRRRowwl....
  • Not Fake News but the actual cover of the coming issue of Newsweek: http://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Trump-is-LAzy.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Bizarre. Newsweek is bizarre.
  • Bizarre. Newsweek is bizarre.

The world these days is bizarre. How can reporting the news these days NOT be bizarre?
    Less bizarre reporting would help.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Fake news etc.
  • Less bizarre reporting would help.

Does the media shape the news -- or merely reflect it?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 17,813
    Less bizarre reporting would help.

Does the media shape the news -- or merely reflect it?

That is the question. It can do both of course, such is its power, especially in the US. This is unfortunately going off-topic however...
    Is the complaint about President Trump that he's lazy? Thanks, Newsweek.
  • Is the complaint about President Trump that he's lazy? Thanks, Newsweek.

Gotta start somewhere, I suppose.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 17,813
    Laziness may not yet prove to be the worst of his alleged crimes!
    Is the complaint about President Trump that he's lazy? Thanks, Newsweek.

Lazy journalism?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The impact of Trump on villainy? Well we're likely not going to see a female villain next time out.

In the era of Trump, Hollywood will probably overcompensate with more female and minority heroes and heroines because he's supposed to be anti women and anti-minority according to them.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Shitty president.

@Birdleson knows

@bondjames you are probably right. The agendas are only going to get pushed harder now as well.
This discussion has been closed.