Spy novel "Assassin of Secrets" pulled for plagiarism

edited November 2011 in Literary 007 Posts: 1,894
<b>Mulholland Books pulls 'Assassin of Secrets' over copied passages</b>

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2011/11/mulholland-books-pulls-assassin-of-secrets-over-copied-passages.html

<blockquote>Mulholland Books, an imprint of Little, Brown, has pulled its novel "Assassin of Secrets" after passages were found to be copied from other spy novels. The book was a first novel from Q.R. Markham. The paperback original was published Nov. 3.

In a statement, Michael Pietsch, executive vice president and publisher of Little, Brown and Co., said: "Upon investigation, it was clear the passages in question were lifted, and Little, Brown determined that the only course of action was to immediately recall books from retailers across the country."

<b>The passages in question, which were not shared with the press, were lifted from James Bond books by Ian Fleming</b> and thrillers by Robert Ludlum and Christopher McCrary, the Associated Press reports.

In October, Markham wrote an essay for the Huffington Post titled, "9 Ways That Spy Novels Made Me a Better Bookseller." Markham wrote that he writes under a pen name and that he is co-owner of Spoonbill & Sugartown Booksellers in Brooklyn. In his essay, he wrote, "Once I'd gotten into the mindset of a Cold War-era superspy, it was hard to leave. I began to notice certain similarities between my day job and my night-time work. I found myself not only making decisions the way Chase would, but recognizing where the methodology came from, whether it be Ian Fleming's M., Le Carre's George Smiley, or Nicholas Hel's Go teacher." Markham's tumblr has also been taken down.

In the statement from Little, Brown, Pietch said, "We take great pride in the writers and books we publish and tremendous care in every aspect of our publishing process, so it is with deep regret that we have published a book that we can no longer stand behind. Our goal is to never have this happen, but when it does, it is important to us to communicate with and compensate readers and retailers as quickly as possible."

The company will give full credit to wholesalers who return the book, and it has asked consumers to seek refunds for the book from the retailer where they bought it.</blockquote>
Apparently, Markham also plagiarised from Raymond Benson and John Gardner. And it's not like he borrowed ideas here and there - he repeatedly lifted entire passages from multiple authors. This link (http://www.edrants.com/q-r-markham-plagiarist/) shows no less than ten examples of plagiarism from five different novels in the first seventeen pages.

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Who was he trying to fool?
    Himself, I assume.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 17
    "Once I'd gotten into the mindset of a Cold War-era superspy, it was hard to leave. I began to notice certain similarities between my day job and my night-time work."
    This is hilarious, he really wrote that in an essay?

Good thing he got caught nonetheless.
    This is hilarious, he really wrote that in an essay?
    Apparently. I guess he was so in love with the idea of being the next Ian Fleming or John le Carre that he felt plagiarism was the only way to fulfil that fantasy.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,928
    Lol what a clown. He should have called his book 'Assassin of Careers', cause he just killed his.
    Damn, he actually copied lines word for word! How on earth did he think he could get away with that?! Remarkable.
    "Assassin of Secrets" Fail.
    The title even sounds like something a thirteen year-old would think is cool.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The title even sounds like something a thirteen year-old would think is cool.
    And it is quite redundant, uncreative and obvious. It could have been called:

Mailman of Mail
    Librarian of Books
    Lifeguard of Water
    Gunsmith of Guns, etc;

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Uh, epic fail!!

However, I'm exceedingly curious to know exactly which passages were lifted from Fleming.

I hope it's not as obvious as "Nest Vastro Feldblo went under the name of Dr. Handschatter and lived in a castle in Japan...".
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 1,894
    Well, from discussions on other forums, I've since discovered that Ian Fleming was not one of the authors who was plagiarised - but Gardner and Benson were. In fact, the Bond continuation novels were some of the most extensively-plagiarised works of all.

And yes, Dimi, unfortauntely the plagiarism really was that obvious. Quentin Rowan (the "Q. R." in "Q. R. Markham") essentially copy-posted large sections of text from over a dozen novels into his own and made minor changes.

I've also found this, a blog post from an author who recommended the novel (said recommendation was due to appear on the cover), how he discovered it was plagiarised, and how he missed it. It's very intelligent and very mature; I like most people would just try and forget about it:

http://jeremyduns.blogspot.com/2011/11/assassin-of-secrets.html

It's difficult to understand how this happened, but I think Quentin Rowan really wanted to be taken seriously as a spy fiction novellist. And it really feels like he is trying way too hard to get that credibility. After all, his penname is "Q. R. Markham" - and as has been well-documented, "Robert Markham" was the pseudonym Gildrose used for Amis' Colonel Sun. Given that he plagiarised from many of the Bond continuity novels, I do not think that this is coincidence.

I think that this desire for acceptance might be what motivated Rowan to plagiarise; he wanted to be like his heroes, and he wanted to be like them straight away, rather than working to earn that reputation. No doubt he had some fantasy where the name "Q. R. Markham" would be used in the same sentence as Ian Fleming and John le Carre and Robert Ludlum as a master of the spy fiction genre, probably as their natrual successor; the Fleming/le Carre/Ludlum of the 2010s. Rowan wouldn't have seen what he did as plagiarism; in fact, he probably wouldn't have seen it as being wrong at all. Rather, I think he would have felt it was some kind of tribute to those writers, as they had all influenced him in some way, and he was immortalising those influences at the same time as reserving a place for himself in the pantheon of literary greats. That's probably how he was able to carry out the deception for so long that Assassin of Secrets was on the verge of hitting shelves before the ruse was discovered - because he never actually thought of what he was doing as wrong. It wasn't deviousness that led him to plagiarise, and nor was it laziness. It was just the misguided impression that he could bend reality to fit his desires.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Isn't he going to have to pay Little Brown something back?
    If they gave him an advance, he may be required to pay it back. However, as a first-time writer, the advance would not be much, so they may write it off as a sunk cost (ie it will actually set the publisher back more money to get the payment back). No doubt there is some kind of provision in their finances for this. Rowan was apparently signed up on a two-book deal, with Assassin of Secrets to be the first book (the second likely intended to be one using the same characters), but the contract was cancelled almost as soon as the publishing house learned of the plagiarism. Rowan has no doubt been blacklisted; no publishing house will go hear him.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Silly move on his part. Why he went this far I just don't get. He must of known he'd never win.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Maybe someday the full text will appear on the internet, like The Killing Zone. Even if it is just a giant piece of plagiarism, I'd like to read it.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    The Duns blog was very interesting. Given how many different books Rowan lifted from I'm wondering how any kind of coherent narrative could be produced. I'm trying to imagine how much work must have gone into the cut and pasting! Incredible.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That's a part of the reason I'd actually like to read the novel. You can't just pick and choose pieces of other novels, slap them together and make a novel out of it, you have to do some work in making it right. THAT'S what I want to see.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    His pseudonym was Q. R. Markham. R. Markham? Sound familiar? He even stile his pen name.
    I believe the word you were looking for was "stole", and yes, he did. This was mentioned above.
    His pseudonym was Q. R. Markham. R. Markham? Sound familiar? He even stile his pen name.
    The "QR" stood for "Quentin Rowan", which is his real name. But I posted out the Markham connection earlier.
    The "QR" stood for "Quentin Rowan", which is his real name. But I posted out the Markham connection earlier.
    Yes, I read both your comment and the article. I was merely reiterating that it seemed to be curiously similar to Amis' pseudonym. And whilst the QR stands for Quentin Rowan, the R. Markham part of it seems to me to be another direct piece of referencing/plagiarism.

Y'know, sometimes, Shadow, you sound quite supercilious in your comments.
    Referencing or foreshadowing the plagiarism suggests that Rowan was malaicious in what he did. And I don't think he was malicious. I think he saw the literary world, and developed the idea that he belonged in that world for no other reason than he wanted to be there. I don't think he was motivated by greed; I think he was motivated by the desire to be accepted.
    That's possible, absolutely. I mean, the way I see it, he's either a very muddled guy, looking for acceptance or he's playing an extremely well-executed practical joke on the literary publishing industry.
    If it were a practical joke, surely he would have let someone in on it beforehand?

Just look at his biography - "Q.R. Markham has been a parks department employee, laundry-truck driver, door-to-door knife salesman, telemarketer, rock 'n' roll bassist, literary scout, book-reviewer, small business owner, and consultant. His writing has appeared in the Paris Review, Bomb Magazine, Witness, The New York Post, The Huffington Post, and more. Assassin of Secrets is his first novel."

Apparently his bio is a list of all the jobs he's held since college, and even that is misleading; he doesn't own a business - he's a minor investor in the Brooklyn bookstore he works in. I mean, a laundry-truck driver? Door-to-door knife salesman? Telemarketer? They're not exactly impressive job, are they? Rowan is thirty-five years old, and his employment history suggests he's (and there's no other word for this) a loser. I'm halfway surprised that his bio doesn't include "gas-station attendant", "airport baggage handler" and "spray-tan booth operator" as jobs.

So I'm convinced that he did it because he wanted to be somebody, because he thought he deserved more than he had, and that he wanted to be remembered the same way as his heroes. He probably had some fantasy where "Quentin Rowan" would be the latest in a long line of names including Fleming, le Carre, Ludlum and so on.
    Man, the poor guy. Total delusion.
    Man, the poor guy. Total delusion.
    If it weren't for some daft James Bond fan that had actually read the books he would have gotten away with it.
    He has done very well up to the point he messed with the 007-fan who outed him.

I guess he'll write a book about his actions one day and find that there is no publisher who wants it. >:-)
    Oh, I bet somebody'll buy his work eventually. I don't know if he'll ever write anything original, though.
    I don't know if he'll ever write anything original, though.
    He won't write again. No publisher will go near him.
    He could always self-publish.
    He could, but his reputation will still precede him. Anything that he self-published would draw the eyes of the public and the professional writing community. All it would take is one whiff of plagiarism, and book stores would pull it from their shelves immediately.