Talking about being Politically Correct !

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I mentioned this in another thread. Cultural Appropriation. Jeez. I'm not Jamaican, so does that mean I should stop listening to reggae?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    James Bond is obviously not an American product, so I suppose it's time I burn anything Bond-related in my collection and flee from the forums! The whole "cultural appropriation" thing is nonsense.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Good point @Creasy47. Don't burn it. Send it back to it's homeland, courtesy of, well, me.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    James Bond is obviously not an American product, so I suppose it's time I burn anything Bond-related in my collection and flee from the forums! The whole "cultural appropriation" thing is nonsense.
    Yep good point. Stop watching Bond yanks!!!

Just Jason Bourne and Ethan Hunt for you I'm afraid guys.

Frogs you can have the OSS guy.

Belgians? Sorry Darth it's basically Tintin.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/apr/30/woman-with-aspergers-ejected-from-cinema-for-laughing-at-western

This is a tricky one. Disability rights has become connected with the PC movement. The Guardian obviously report it from one perspective (being PC) but I can understand the frustration of other movie fans at the screening.

Does this ladies' right to see the movie overide the right of th rest of the audience to watch in peace?
    "The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few. Or the one"
    patb wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/apr/30/woman-with-aspergers-ejected-from-cinema-for-laughing-at-western

This is a tricky one. Disability rights has become connected with the PC movement. The Guardian obviously report it from one perspective (being PC) but I can understand the frustration of other movie fans at the screening.

Does this ladies' right to see the movie overide the right of th rest of the audience to watch in peace?

I vote no. While she obviously can't help having Asperger's, the other movie fans shouldn't have to pay for it, either. Some cinemas will accommodate people with mental disabilities and impairments via special screenings, so perhaps that'd be the best avenue for someone like her.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,600
    Yes, our local does special screenings but, due to their nature, you cant expect the BFI to do a special screening for every movie. Would never work. I think the interesting thing is that there is a sense of entitlement coming from this lady and, there is no attempt to manage the situation from her end.

The ramifications for every screen manager and every punter is that, at any screening, someone could attend, spoil the movie and there is nothing that can be done. There has to be some form of give and take.

Yes, our local does special screenings but, due to their nature, you cant expect the BFI to do a special screening for every movie. Would never work. I think the interesting thing is that there is a sense of entitlement coming from this lady and, there is no attempt to manage the situation from her end.

I missed that bit. I do find the "plans to sue" laughable, though; that's the first shot of someone being offended - "Well I'll sue you!"

Sure, the situation could've been handled a little better, but simultaneously the woman with her must've known an outburst like that could occur. I worked with a kid a few years back in college - real kind, smart, also had Asperger's, and you'd have to tone him down at times, too. He could get a bit raucous and blunt with the customers.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I was at the movies once, when a disabled man sitting at the very front was moaning loudly every two or three minutes. It was very disturbing, but of course no one asked him to shut up. It was just a bad idea, not on his part, but the one who brought him.
    I was at the movies once, when a disabled man sitting at the very front was moaning loudly every two or three minutes. It was very disturbing, but of course no one asked him to shut up. It was just a bad idea, not on his part, but the one who brought him.

Exactly: you can't fault the man himself for it, he can't help it, but the person whose job it is to watch and care for them should know better in that sort of situation.
    There weren t special screenings back then as there is now. Now you can bring babies, knit or whatever.

Seems that in China, they don't view that as a negative. Rather the opposite, in fact :

https://nytimes.com/2018/05/02/world/asia/chinese-prom-dress.html
    Gerard wrote: »

Seems that in China, they don't view that as a negative. Rather the opposite, in fact :

https://nytimes.com/2018/05/02/world/asia/chinese-prom-dress.html

As for dreadlocks, two words : Bo Dereck.
    But this nonsense only goes one way, doesn t it?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,544
    Yesterday, on my way home from work, I noticed a fourteen-ish young girl trying to keep her bike from falling whilst also picking up some books she'd lost. Given the snapped strap on her school bag, I surmise the books had suddenly fallen out of her bag while she was riding that bike.

Naturally inclined to be a gentleman, my immediate reflex was to help the girl. I could have picked up her books or held her bike for her or even tried to fix the broken strap. However, I didn't. I witnessed the event and I kept walking. I regret that now, but at the time I saw several possible outcomes of my "gentlemanly" behaviour and liked none of those. Helping an underaged girl: obviously, I want to get under those skirts. Holding the bike, on the chance that physical contact is accidentally made, then what? "He touched me." Read that sentence a few times. Notice how ugly it sounds these days? "Would you have offered your help if this had been a boy instead?" "Girls can handle themselves but you, men, just don't want to see that, do you?" And so on.

You can argue all you want that I'm being paranoid, but I have experienced such things before. At school namely. You see, we apply vestimentary rules in our school which forbid skirts that are too short and shirts that are too "open". The reasons are self-evident, I suppose. Once, when I called a girl to order and demanded that she would cover up her bosom in compliance with our rules, she responded very caustically: "OH MY GOD were you looking at my BREASTS! I can't BELIEVE you're looking at my breasts!". Just like that, the entire debate shifted from me following a few simple rules to me as the vulgar voyeur. Luckily, that little conflict went nowhere as my defence was, of course, waterproof. How would Dr Kaufman have put it? "I'm just a professional doing a job."

It was, however, a little less easy to "pull out" from a different situation. There was this girl in our school who, after class, wanted to talk about her parents and their extremely violent break-up fights. To be frank, I rather not know about those things, but part of the job is that we offer a proverbial shoulder to cry on--"proverbial" being, of course, the important word here. When her mom had found out that the girl was leaking domestic details at school, even if I wasn't sharing any of that information with anyone, she decided to give her embarrassment an entirely different spin. She contacted my "superiors" and complained about "unhealthy intimacies" between me, a grown-up man, and a young, underaged and impressionable girl. On top of that, the mom was a private acquaintance of several of my colleagues and so an ugly story quickly developed behind my back. Luckily, I managed to set things straight with my bosses but I also received a strong message: leave the therapeutic talks to female teachers. Wait, I hadn't picked her, she had picked me. She could have gone to counsellors or other teachers, but she had picked me! What am I to say to someone like that? "Sorry, sweetheart, I know you're feeling like I'm the only one you want to talk to and such, but that's not my problem. Now, good day to you and please return home to that s-hole you hate so much."

On top of that, the argument that female teachers are "ok" seems to be a trifle outdated too. What, with the 'LBGT' thing and all that? Also, whenever I read stuff about teachers going horizontal with students, the teacher is mostly a woman. But nevermind that. Either way, I'm appaled by the fact of this gender bias, the fact that being a man means I can't commit to the full mission statement of my job. Not that I mind, by the way. Gives me more time to read comics. But I'm no robot. I care about my students. If listening to them for a few minutes is enough to give them some consolation, I'll happily do just that. I don't touch or caress them, nor hug or kiss them. But I'm a man, and clearly, that means I can't be in a classroom with a girl alone. Good job, PC-world! Half the world's population discriminated right there.

And so I didn't help the girl in the clumsy position with the bike, the books and the unstrapped school bag. I trust she got home safely, but I had nothing to do with it. The PC-world has made me a coward, a scaredy-cat, an "un-gentleman". Well, that final part isn't true. I'm a gentleman to my girlfriend. And she's not afraid I want to get under her skirts; she knows I want to. ;-)

A case of changing perception, I do not mind that they removed this particular song.

"Immigrants and faggots

They make no sense to me

They come to our country

And think they’ll do as they please

Like start some mini-Iran

Or spread some fucking disease

And they talk so many goddamn ways

It’s all Greek to me"

Not so much PC as outdated thinking. The lads must have grown up.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    You can see that PC has spread by watching the Bond films. In the eighties we still had lines like "keep you in curry", which, now viewed as insensitive, is clearly intended as harmless as any other Moore gag. Then in the nineties there was the first mention of sexual harassment with MP in the elevator. And nowadays it seems like Bond is no longer the dominant one in any interaction he has with a woman, but they have to be like sparring partners, trading jabs. Bond himself has been emasculated, I feel, and it's hard to see the franchise slowly come to represent the exact opposite that it once did. Bond should be a misogonist pig, that's the character. I can understand toning down certain elements to make it more palatable, but it has reached the point where I think Bond can no longer behave anything like how he would, to the point where the character barely works anymore. What I don't understand is how Kingsman can get away with going even further than Bond in this category, and still gets away with it somehow. I watched the second Kingsman movie the other day, and with the first half an hour he has a woman literally offering herself to him. Where is the outroar for that, when Bond cannot have a conversation with the female without her slapping him, or shouting at him.
    @Mendes4Lyfe, there was a ton of backlash over that sex scene in Kingsman: The Golden Circle, so it's not like it went unnoticed. People found it unnecessary to the rest of the film, which I guess it was. I wasn't offended in the slightest, but it definitely wasn't a needed scene, either. Seemed like a 14 year old wrote that bit of the script.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45990543

Do everyday normal people really get offended by a halloween/fancy dress costume?

If i dressed up as one of my heroes, Jimi Hendrix, including brown make up does that mean i'm unconciously a racist?!!

I mean, can an asian dress up as Elvis Presley? Can a black man dress up as Bruce Lee?

I need a list of the 'dressing up politically correctly rules'
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I almost got expelled from school “for doing an accent”. Didn’t know accents were racist. I guess Daniel Day Lewis is a racist for putting on an American accent in There will be blood.
    This is a costume checklist sent out by the undergraduate student government at Princeton university...
    20181103-123247-1.jpg
    Welcome to the wonderful world of joyless snowflakes....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The world's going to pot. Literally

These guys were ahead of their time.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @LeonardPine
    This makes me wonder what costume one can still wear...

A) Skeleton?

Oops, sorry but that hints at insensitivities towards those who have recently lost a loved one. And also towards the anorexic.

B) Something black, like the Grim Reaper's outfit?

Oops, could infer that black people are directly associable with something scary.

C) Something white then?

Do you want white supremacy accusations to find you?

D) A Trump costume?

No no no, some people were actually foolish enough to vote for Adolf Donald Trump. Wouldn't want to upset those either. Plus, too politically sensitive.

E) Nigel Farage?

Same thing, bro. Same Thing. Yes, I know, he's a clown and all but since IT and those hyperviolent, real-life scary clown attacks we really can't have that either.

E) Uh, a sexy outfit?

Certainly nothing hinting at sex! #MeToo!!

F) Nothing? Can I simply wear nothing?

And walk around with your junk exposed? Dude, #MeToo -- again!

G) Priest outfit?

No, religion. Sensitive topic.

H) James Bond?

No, hints at violence.

I) A Jedi Knight?

Again, violence. Plus, phallic object. #MeToo. #MeToo!!

J) Dracula?

Violence plus masculine superiority; you're really not getting the #MeToo thing, are you!

K) Bart Simpson

Making fun of certain skin colours? Ain't gonna happen. Also, the recent fuss about Apu as a stereotype of Indians. No, no, no, we're not touching that.

L) Can I just stay home?

Home? ... Stay home? ... Well, aren't you the one sucking all the fun out of everything.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 3,985
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @LeonardPine
    This makes me wonder what costume one can still wear...

A) Skeleton?

Oops, sorry but that hints at insensitivities towards those who have recently lost a loved one. And also towards the anorexic.

B) Something black, like the Grim Reaper's outfit?

Oops, could infer that black people are directly associable with something scary.

C) Something white then?

Do you want white supremacy accusations to find you?

D) A Trump costume?

No no no, some people were actually foolish enough to vote for Adolf Donald Trump. Wouldn't want to upset those either. Plus, too politically sensitive.

E) Nigel Farage?

Same thing, bro. Same Thing. Yes, I know, he's a clown and all but since IT and those hyperviolent, real-life scary clown attacks we really can't have that either.

E) Uh, a sexy outfit?

Certainly nothing hinting at sex! #MeToo!!

F) Nothing? Can I simply wear nothing?

And walk around with your junk exposed? Dude, #MeToo -- again!

G) Priest outfit?

No, religion. Sensitive topic.

H) James Bond?

No, hints at violence.

I) A Jedi Knight?

Again, violence. Plus, phallic object. #MeToo. #MeToo!!

J) Dracula?

Violence plus masculine superiority; you're really not getting the #MeToo thing, are you!

K) Bart Simpson

Making fun of certain skin colours? Ain't gonna happen. Also, the recent fuss about Apu as a stereotype of Indians. No, no, no, we're not touching that.

L) Can I just stay home?

Home? ... Stay home? ... Well, aren't you the one sucking all the fun out of everything.

:))

I'd want to go dressed as something offensive just to get a reaction from these imbeciles.

Oh and I'd take Trump any day over Tony Blair...
    edited November 2018 Posts: 3,985
    bondjames wrote: »

Exactly. And the society in that film ended up collapsing....!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2018 Posts: 13,894

"He was right, you know."
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

"He was right, you know."
    Great film and iconic scene, the concept of which was borrowed for this J.G. Wentworth ad in the US.