Folio Society - Ian Fleming Special Editions

1141516171820»

Comments

  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Posts: 2,716
    Exciting! Could be the second from the top?
  • PassengerPassenger Paris
    Posts: 3
    No Bond for the summer collection…
    Hopefully, we’ll have something in September. Folio confirmed again today that they’re working on new Bond releases.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Posts: 5,180


    Yeah, it will come later in the year.
    I'm pretty sure it will come out in mid October like always.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Posts: 2,716
    Disappointing - but I guess it gives me more time to save up for it!
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Posts: 1,300
    Man, I wish these were sold IN the USA too- shipping costs are killer.
  • Posts: 699
    It's good to know they're going to complete the collection. Does anyone know if they're going to include Property of a Lady in The Octopussy book?
    I ask because the original UK first edition didn't have that story, and they've been keeping to the text of the UK first editions so far.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Posts: 751
    No FYEO in Autumn Collection... but they reiterated on Twitter it's coming soon. They have a Winter release I assume
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,248
    Christmas set of Folios to be announced next Tuesday... Hoping for FYEO! Maybe that and OP&TLD all in one edition?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Posts: 2,376


    Fourth down looks like it could be Fleming.
  • Posts: 699
    Yep, it's For Your Eyes Only. Phew! I was honestly getting worried they weren't going to do the short stories.
    Now, I just need to know that Property of a Lady will definitely be in the next book, (Octopussy and The Living Daylights), and I can rest easy.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond SS Colombie
    Posts: 331
    https://www.foliosociety.com/uk/for-your-eyes-only.html

    Yep here it is.

    jbe_bookshot.png?quality=80&fit=bounds&height=&width=&canvas=:

    for_your_eyes_only_gallery_1.jpg?quality=80&fit=bounds&height=&width=&canvas=:

    I am once again in awe of Fay Dalton's talent. 😍
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Posts: 2,919
    I am once again in awe of Fay Dalton's talent. 😍

    I'm torn between "I prefer it when Bond's face isn't shown" and "Bond is super hot".

    (I do like the images where you can't really tell what he looks like. Hard to keep that up for the whole series though.)
  • MI6HQMI6HQ SIS Building, London, United Kingdom
    edited October 11 Posts: 1,633

    I wonder if Bond was telling Judy in this scene: “The Chinese have a saying; “Before setting off on revenge, you first dig two graves!”

    And the way Judy's face looked like kinda telling that: "Why you're telling me that?! And do I care at all? Mr. Bond?!"
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Posts: 28,642
    As someone that has drawn Bond a lot, I find it interesting to hear a professional artist's process behind illustrating a set of Bond books. I find it interesting that Dalton goes out of her way to try and keep Bond sort of "hidden" at times, to sort of keep up that air of mystery about him and to give him a sort of almost mythic status to the reader. I think Fleming's point was to make Bond more relatable than mythic, but for how much of a legend the character has amassed since CR was first published, I can understand the artistic choice.

    I wonder if Dalton does that not just because hiding Bond creates a sort of disconnect from the audience as they read, but also because of how intimidating it can be to illustrate Bond. By hiding him in far shots or with illustrations that have him facing away from the reader, she is able to avoid the usual trap of Bond not looking like people would expect. Particularly because the book Bond has very defined features that readers would expect to see captured by an illustrator, from his similarity to Hoagy Carmichael's mug and his distinct scar, to his cold blue eyes and the comma of hair that is always falling over his forehead. And how in the hell do you draw a "cruel mouth" anyway? Drawing Bond right and in a way that readers can recognize and accept is definitely an intimidating challenge.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond SS Colombie
    Posts: 331
    As someone that has drawn Bond a lot, I find it interesting to hear a professional artist's process behind illustrating a set of Bond books. I find it interesting that Dalton goes out of her way to try and keep Bond sort of "hidden" at times, to sort of keep up that air of mystery about him and to give him a sort of almost mythic status to the reader. I think Fleming's point was to make Bond more relatable than mythic, but for how much of a legend the character has amassed since CR was first published, I can understand the artistic choice.

    I wonder if Dalton does that not just because hiding Bond creates a sort of disconnect from the audience as they read, but also because of how intimidating it can be to illustrate Bond. By hiding him in far shots or with illustrations that have him facing away from the reader, she is able to avoid the usual trap of Bond not looking like people would expect. Particularly because the book Bond has very defined features that readers would expect to see captured by an illustrator, from his similarity to Hoagy Carmichael's mug and his distinct scar, to his cold blue eyes and the comma of hair that is always falling over his forehead. And how in the hell do you draw a "cruel mouth" anyway? Drawing Bond right and in a way that readers can recognize and accept is definitely an intimidating challenge.

    I can also attest to how difficult it is to capture Bond's essence in a drawing, which is why I find Dalton's work so incredible. Having Bond's face be obscured might be more of an edict from IFP than her artistic choice because iirc the 2002 Penguin covers changed to having Bond in silhouette. Then again even earlier there's the Pan cover for Moonraker that I love, which feels like direct inspiration for her works. I definitely think it's a case of keeping Bond a cipher and audience surrogate.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Posts: 28,642
    @CharmianBond, interesting thoughts. Even my favorite of all the book covers, the 2008 Penguin additions for Fleming's 100th birthday, completely cut out Bond from all the illustrations. Definitely seems to be a purposeful mandate.
  • Posts: 699
    I have all the Folio editions to date, and I think that a 'full face Bond' was only something seen in later illustrations. The earlier Folio artwork always had him shrouded in smoke or obscured in some way. I might be wrong.
    But her artwork is very true to the text, and It'd be a fun thing, once the Folio Flemings have run their course, to have a forum poll on our favourite Dalton illustration from the entire series.
    Off the top of my head, the slipcase cover for Live and Let Die takes some beating.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond SS Colombie
    Posts: 331
    That sounds like a fun idea. I like this one from Moonraker because it taken to it's logical conclusion, and as you say it's still true to the text.

    GOLDEN+DAY++low+res.jpg?format=1500w

    I also think the cover of Casino Royale is great, I like that Bond looks a little like a young Ian Fleming.

    SLIP+CASE+FINAL+CR+low+res.jpg?format=1500w

    But I think some of all-time favourites are the villains, she puts so much detail into them. You can feel Viv's shock in seeing Sluggsy and Horror. And with Blofeld in OHMSS, I love the hard shadow shapes on his face and edge control in the vest is marvellous.

    swl_illus1.jpg?quality=80&fit=bounds&height=&width=&canvas=:

    ohmss_2.jpg?quality=80&fit=bounds&height=&width=&canvas=:
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Posts: 5,201
    I've always enjoyed this illustration of Pussy Galore.

    GoldfingerInner.jpg
  • Bondfan68Bondfan68 Columbus, GA USA
    Posts: 14
    I am REALLY looking forward to getting my copy! I got an e-mail from Folio Society that it had been dispatched so I should see it in a week or so.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Posts: 2,919
    This one from YOLT made me cry when I saw it:

    002_jb2_rose-garden.jpg?w=700

    But my favourite is probably this from TSWLM. The book that inspired me to get a scooter - motorcycling has ended up such a huge part of my life.

    003_swl_go-west-young-woman-final-2.jpg
  • MI6HQMI6HQ SIS Building, London, United Kingdom
    edited October 14 Posts: 1,633
    Vivienne Michel is beautiful in that one.

    But this one caught my eyes, an iconic shot from Tiffany Case.

    181010-Folio-Society-Diamonds-Are-Forever-illustration1.jpg

  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,248
    Tiffany Case from the novel rules. Really nice comments @Agent_99, awesome that the book got you into motorcycling. I'm a huge fan of that art from YOLT as well (I think it's still my favourite Bond novel).
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Posts: 751
    Fleming estate will continue to keep collecting my money... can't wait to see what their prestige hardbacks look like:

    https://ianfleming.com/welcome-home-007/
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,248
    No Talk of the Devil, oh well.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 16,097
    I have heard via a source online that was speaking to Fergus Fleming recently that Talk of the Devil is to be republished, possibly next year for the 70th anniversary. I'm not sure what the price will be though I hope it will be a lot more affordable for Bond fans.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 2,915
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I have heard via a source online that was speaking to Fergus Fleming recently that Talk of the Devil is to be republished, possibly next year for the 70th anniversary. I'm not sure what the price will be though I hope it will be a lot more affordable for Bond fans.

    What is Talk of the Devil about?
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 16,097
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I have heard via a source online that was speaking to Fergus Fleming recently that Talk of the Devil is to be republished, possibly next year for the 70th anniversary. I'm not sure what the price will be though I hope it will be a lot more affordable for Bond fans.

    What is Talk of the Devil about?

    It's a collection of Fleming's non-fiction and early non-Bond short stories as far as I remember. Stuff that hadn't been published before anywhere for the most part. It was published by Queen Anne's Press (which Fleming himself set up) back in 2008 as part of Fleming’s Centenary Year. The only thing was it cost about £1000 at that time (maybe even more) and so was out of the reach of most Bond fans.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 2,915
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I have heard via a source online that was speaking to Fergus Fleming recently that Talk of the Devil is to be republished, possibly next year for the 70th anniversary. I'm not sure what the price will be though I hope it will be a lot more affordable for Bond fans.

    What is Talk of the Devil about?

    It's a collection of Fleming's non-fiction and early non-Bond short stories as far as I remember. Stuff that hadn't been published before anywhere for the most part. It was published by Queen Anne's Press (which Fleming himself set up) back in 2008 as part of Fleming’s Centenary Year. The only thing was it cost about £1000 at that time (maybe even more) and so was out of the reach of most Bond fans.

    Thank you for the information! I hope that the Folio Society can do other Bond novels other than just Fleming’s!
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 16,097
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I have heard via a source online that was speaking to Fergus Fleming recently that Talk of the Devil is to be republished, possibly next year for the 70th anniversary. I'm not sure what the price will be though I hope it will be a lot more affordable for Bond fans.

    What is Talk of the Devil about?

    It's a collection of Fleming's non-fiction and early non-Bond short stories as far as I remember. Stuff that hadn't been published before anywhere for the most part. It was published by Queen Anne's Press (which Fleming himself set up) back in 2008 as part of Fleming’s Centenary Year. The only thing was it cost about £1000 at that time (maybe even more) and so was out of the reach of most Bond fans.

    Thank you for the information! I hope that the Folio Society can do other Bond novels other than just Fleming’s!

    No bother. It's from memory so I just hope I've explained what it's about properly. Of course I'm all for new releases of the Bond continuation novels.
Sign In or Register to comment.