Nightfire 007 - Your Depiction of A Remake

ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
edited May 2017 in 007 Gaming Posts: 15,423
After playing Nightfire in its variant forms of the Console via GameCube and Windows PC versions, I was eager to make a comparison with both of them after a discussion with a friend (as well as here) broke for how would a proper remake fare if done in the way that wouldn't leave any content from both versions behind. If it is you were responsible for the project, how would you do it and how each mission would equalize with their counterparts to form one level? I'll start.

p9r2YPQ.jpg

Mission 01: We'll Always Have Our Paris (Originally Paris Prelude)

So, here we are, having a traditional pre-title sequence type of a level, with Bond storming off in a helicopter to rescue a French Intelligence agent, Dominique Paradis, from a group of assailants, who herself has taken responsibility of stopping a terrorist attack at the center of Paris in attempt to prevent a nuclear bomb from going off right underneath the Eiffel Tower. The exact same setting as in the Console version, but I'd only change its aspect of a tutorial, and spare that as a separate option in a virtual reality type of a level seen in Everything or Nothing. Obviously, the PC version lacks this level from its narrative, for a multi-platform release title, this is to be included in an honest form derived from the Console version.

Objectives:
-Protect the French agent, Dominique Paradis at all costs
-Eliminate all of the assailants
-Avoid civilian casualties
-Prevent the terrorist van from driving into the Eiffel Tower

Mission 02: Where Eagles Dare (The Exchange and Rendezvous)

And here we are, with the best level, in my opinion, in the entirety of the James Bond video game series. There is not much of a difference between the narrative blueprints of both the Console and the PC versions, other than the latter being inferior to the former, going as far to try and mimic its Console counterpart in many other ways, so he majority of the level structure will be given the homage to the Console version. But, there's one thing I would add from the PC version, which is to take picture of every guest with the micro-camera hidden in the lighter (and I'd change from a Zippo to proper Dunhill lighter) in order to validate the guests' identities whether they're threats or civilians, not to mention identify the undercover agent (Dominique) in Drake's circle. The rest is as you would have guessed would go. One other thing I would add at the beginning of the infiltration is that Bond has to be devoid of detection as much as possible and prevent any alarms from getting triggered in order not to draw suspicion into the people inside the castle.

Also, for those wondering, this level was inspired by and is a capitalization on the popularity of the Where Eagles Dare theme used in both the first No One Lives Forever and Return to Castle Wolfenstein (the PC version of Nightfire even uses some of the very same map layouts from RTCW), hence I named the level respectfully after the film, which I think is very suitable, considering it's set in an Austrian castle at the Alps. The location could very well have been a Nazi Waffen SS headquarters.

Objectives:
-Infiltrate the Castle walls
-Disable the security system
-Avoid raising alarms
-Sneak into the party and maintain low profile as a guest
-Photograph every female guest, identify and rendezvous with the deep cover agent
-Spy on Drake's meeting as discreetly as possible
-Reclaim the missile guidance module
-Vacate the castle premises via the cable car
-Eliminate Rook

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Mission 03: Alpine Whiteout (amalgamation of Alpine Escape and Ambush Airfield)
The level begins with Bond and Zoe Nightshade finding their way to an abandoned military compounded recently purchased and occupied by Drake's Phoenix Corporations, crawling in heavily armed guards. So, instead of just getting to a snowmobile or unrealistically stealing Drake's private WWII airplane, Zoe and Bond disable sneak into the compound in the hopes of finding their way out of the mountain. Like in the PC version of the "Ambush Airfield" level, they disable the security system, terminate radio contact with the outskirts of the place, so should the guards wouldn't be able to alert outer assault teams, they find a snowmobile and plan to escape. They are chased by other guards similarly on snowmobiles and have to eliminate them. The rest is as you know with the "Alpine Escape" level. A 360 turn-around rail shooter.

Objectives:
-Acquire a key card to the radar tower
-Avoid detection
-Disable radio contact and communication devices
-Protect Zoe Nightshade from gunfire
-Steal a snowmobile and destroy all the remainders in the garage
-Eliminate all threat and escape to the rendezvous point

Mission 04: Enemies Vanquished (didn't feel like changing this one, it's perfect)
It's exactly as in the Console version of the game. This one is purely a driving level in Bond's Aston. Only change I'd make is the inclusion of a proper airfield for Bond and Zoe to drive through and make it to the plane rather than having it appear out of nowhere like in the game. It'd be similar to the motorcycle ride to the plan from Everything or Nothing or the similarly done drive through in the 'Die Another Day' portion of 007 Legends.

Objectives:
-Eliminate all existing threats
-Avoid civilian casualties
-Evade the policemen
-Rendezvous with Q at an abandoned NATO airfield

The rest will follow later on. What are your thoughts, so far?

Also, if this thread is unwarranted to be there, please don't close it but move it to The Nightfire Appreciation Thread.

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Quite an interesting concept. The third mission on the console is completely different from the PC version. Are there any other glaring differences? I never got around the PC version. Which one is the best?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Indeed, @GoldenGun. They are vastly different and some levels actually do play out different. I'm actually thinking about expanding on the level descriptions and develop them further with words.

A couple of examples I'd cite:
    The Chain Reaction level from the Console version for example is set at a decommissioned nuclear power plant. The PC equivalent of that is called Hidden Agenda (and begins with the cutscene that plays after you finish the Console version of that level) and instead, involves a secret space shuttle training facility underneath the power plant. Secondly, Rook dies earlier in the game, and in the same level in the PC version, whereas his death comes later in the Console version at the penultimate level on Drake's Island. And unlike in the aftermath of the boss fight in the Console version, here we have a full cutscene of Rook's death and a cracking one liner dropped by Bond.