R.I.P. Clifton James...

edited April 2017 in Bond Movies Posts: 646
Sheriff J.W. Pepper is no longer with us, although he will always remain in our memories. The great Clifton James has passed away at a ripe age of 96. He has always been and always will be my favorite "comic relief" character in the Bond films. He lifts the already sublime LALD even higher with his presence. When I first watched the film many years ago I almost fell out of my chair every time he opened his mouth! A truly hilarious character, made even more impressive by the fact that Clifton James isn't even a Southerner but a New Yorker of all things! So was Jackie Gleason, by the way, who also went on to play a similar character in the SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT films. But I personally prefer Clifton to Jackie when it comes to redneck sheriffs. LALD immediately became my favorite Bond film!

Not only was Clifton superb in LALD but I find him every bit as hilarious in TMWTGG. Folks complain that it's ridiculous that a backwards redneck sheriff would be vacationing in Thailand. They're clearly missing the point. That's precisely what makes the whole situation such a riot! Especially seeing him in that Hawaiian shirt and those shorts and those high socks, and of course running into Bond again of all things! :)

Brilliant performer! R.I.P. Clifton.

"Seeeecret aaaaageeent?????? Oooooon whoooo's siiiiiiiiiiiide??????????" =D> :)

Comments

Thanks! But this thread is dedicated to the incomparable Clifton James.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thanks! But this thread is dedicated to the incomparable Clifton James.

We don't do single threads for any deaths on this forum. It takes up too much space, and after a while of the same practice there's seas of RIP threads milling about. It's best (and less chaotic) to send all messages to the thread linked above.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It got me thinking; probably only one of the six, or possibly Judi Dench, would merit a separate thread.

In a case like that I would suggest creating a "Bond Actors We've Lost" RIP thread where we can pay specific respects to those of the Bond family that've died. I think the only exception, if there ever would be one, is for one of the 6. I never want one of those days to come, however.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    If there won't be single special threads for Sean, George, Roger, Timothy, Pierce and Daniel once the time comes, I will be unimaginably upset....

Principles are fine, but please....

...all others can go in the One thread we have for the lost loved ones.

I agree @Birdleson we are incredibly lucky to still have all of the great Six. I am more grateful for that than I can express in words.
  • If there won't be single special threads for Sean, George, Roger, Timothy, Pierce and Daniel once the time comes, I will be unimaginably upset....

I'm sure there will be. But let us hope we have some time yet before we need worry about it.
    Of course @Some_Kind_Of_Hero of course, just saying :)
  • I know. It will happen at some point. Such is life. As everyone says, we are very lucky to have such long-living actors amid the Bond ranks.
    And isn't it just fantastic that Sylvia Trench (Eunice Gayson) AND Honey Ryder (Ursula Andress) are still going strong!

I feel a viewing of Dr. No is coming up soon...
  • Yes, many Bond legends are still with us! And we add more and more by the film!
    The way I look at it is whether alive or passed on, characters we love in films or otherwise are immortalised with the roles they did.
  • The way I look at it is whether alive or passed on, characters we love in films or otherwise are immortalised with the roles they did.

I look at it the same way.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »

As @Birdleson posted a while back, one thread for those we have sadly lost is sufficient.
    When one of the six sadly passes, there will be a separate dedication thread. Hopefully we wont need it for a long time.
    Please continue in the thread as linked.
This discussion has been closed.