• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Friday

04) Auric Goldfinger: “No, Mr Bond! I expect you to die!” 80 +1
    17) Kamal Khan: “You have a nasty habit of surviving.” - 2 -2
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Friday

04) Auric Goldfinger: “No, Mr Bond! I expect you to die!” 81

WINNER

• You have a nasty habit of surviving, Goldfinger.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Not a surprise that GF is the winner, fully deserved.
    Without a doubt that GF was going to win this for me. I must say OP is a worthy runner up!
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Without a doubt that GF was going to win this for me. I must say OP is a worthy runner up!

Agreed @RogueAgent. Khan has so many delicious lines in OP, with Nasty Habit of Surviving being a stand out.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Can I ask, are there any quotes commonly attributed to a Bond baddie that actually were never said? I mean in the sense of "Beam me up, Scotty", which is a common meme, but was actually never said in any of the Star Trek films.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Can I ask, are there any quotes commonly attributed to a Bond baddie that actually were never said? I mean in the sense of "Beam me up, Scotty", which is a common meme, but was actually never said in any of the Star Trek films.

"I ve been expecting you, mr Bond." or "Welcome, Mr Bond, I ve been expecting you." There have been some quotes that are rather similar, but I can t remember those exact words ever being said.

[i]"I ve been expecting you, mr Bond."[/i] or "Welcome, Mr Bond, I ve been expecting you." There have been some quotes that are rather similar, but I can t remember those exact words ever being said.

Didn't Stromberg finally cover that one?
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Covered thoroughly here: https://mi6community.com/discussion/924/ive-been-expecting-you-has-it-actually-been-said-in-any-film

It's virtually ALWAYS reworded though and so falls under the category of movie quotes misremembered by the public, like Vader's "Luke, I am your father" or Casablanca's "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship."

I_caa124_900739.jpg

1de3d615dc191f59b65316f93486b10ebf7bf070bd51eb63231ffb9d9028460b.jpg

395804_139880189485211_1525811031_n.jpg

438a840a235a3fd143e0a5f0f10bb98028c6d4e23e4716a3ef7dd12d5115caf3.jpg
  • GBFGBF
    Sorry for not having been online the last days. Here is the final result. I hope you all enjoyed the game, even thought the winner was abit too obvious

1. Auric Goldfinger: “No, Mr Bond! I expect you to die!”
    2. Kamal Khan: “You have a nasty habit of surviving.”
    3. Alec Trevelyan: “I might as well ask if all those vodka martinis silenced the screams of all the men you've killed... or if you've found forgiveness in the arms of all those willing women for the dead ones you failed to protect.”
    4. Dr. No: “East, West, just points of the compass, each as stupid as the other.”
    5. Elliot Carver: “The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.”
    6. Mr.Kidd: “If God had wanted man to fly..." Mr. Wint "He would have given him wings,Mr Kidd.”
    7. Max Zorin: ”Intuitive improvisation is the secret of genius.”
    8. Mr. White: "Oh, really? Well, then, the first thing you should know about us is that we have people everywhere. Am I right?"
    9. Hugo Drax: “James Bond. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season.”
    10. General Orlov: "Yes, but tomorrow I shall be a hero of the Soviet Union."
    11. Ernst Stavro Blofeld: “Merry Christmas, 007.”
    12. Fiona Volpe: “Do you like wild things, Mr. Bond-James-Bond?”
    13. Red Grant: “The first one won't kill you. Not the second. Not even the third. Not until you crawl over here and you kiss my foot!”
    14. Karl Stromberg: “For me, this is all the world. There is beauty... there is ugliness... and there is death.”
    15. Aristoteles Kristatos: “Bind that wound. We don't want any blood in the water, not yet.”
    16. Dominique Green: “So if you decide not to sign, you'll wake up with your balls in your mouth and your willing replacement standing over you...”
    17. Dr. Kananga / Mr. Big: “Names is for tombstones, baby! Y'all take this honky out and waste him!”
    18. Ernst Stavro Blofeld: “Kill Bond now!”
    19. Xenia Onatopp: “This time, Mr Bond, the pleasure will be all mine!”
    20. Rosa Klebb: “Training is useful, but there is no substitute for experience.”
    21. Emilio Largo: “Of course Vargas does not drink...does not smoke...does not make love. What do you do, Vargas?”
    22. Francisco Scaramanga: “I like a girl in a bikini: no concealed weapons.”
    23. Raoul Silva: “She sent you after me knowing you're not ready, knowing you would likely die... Mummy was very bad.”
    24. General Georgi Koskov: “I'm sorry, James. For you I have great affection, but we have an old saying: duty has no sweethearts.”
    25. Le Chiffre: "Wow. You've taken good care of your body. Such a waste."
    26. Brad Whitaker: “You had your eight now I'll have my eighty."
    27. Franz Sanchez: “Today is the first day of the rest of your life!”
    28. Elektra King: “You wouldn’t kill me, … you would miss me.”
    29. Franz Oberhauser / Ernst Stavro Blofeld: “Welcome, James. You've come across me so many times, yet you never saw me. What took you so long?"
    30. Renard: “You can't kill me, I'm already dead.”
    31. Ernst Stavro Blofeld: “Such nice cheeks, too. If only they were brains.”
    32. Boris Grishenko: “I am invincible!”
    33. Gustav Graves: “You see, Mr. Bond, you can't kill my dreams. But my dreams can kill you. Time to face destiny.”
    34. Mr. Hinx: "Shit"
    35. Bald villain in a wheelchair: “I'll buy you a delicatessen... of stainless steel

• GBFGBF
    What of the results do you all find the most surprising?

I personally expected Sanchez and Red Grant to be much higher....
    @GBF I really like Red Grant's line too. I also really liked "You may know all the right wines, but you're the one on your knees" and "My orders are to kill you and deliver the Lektor. How I do it is my business--it'll be slow and painful."
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Surprised that Brad Whitaker's “You had your eight now I'll have my eighty." only came in 26th. That's a tremendous line and I guess it did poorly because it came from a lesser villain. If Trevelyan or Zorin said that, it would have made top 10 for sure.

The one's that I thought did better than they would were:
    - Orlov's "Yes, but tomorrow I shall be a hero of the Soviet Union."
    - Blofeld's "Merry Xmas 007"
    - Trevelyan's line

The first two just seem like throwaway lines to me, and Trevelyan's while good is long-winded, surprised it got #3.
  • Kristatos's and Greene's lines showed stronger than I thought they would have. Scaramanga's hung around surprisingly long. I'm also a little surprised that Khan's—while still a good line—took 2nd of the lot.

I would have liked Kananga's to have done a bit better, but people wanted it gone. I also thought Le Chiffre's could have and should have placed much higher.

Goldfinger's was the clear winner of the lot and never had a chance of not placing first.
  • GBFGBF
    Thanks for the feedback...

I also was surprised by the good results for Trevelyan and Dr. No. Even though I like the two quotes I have never thought of them so very often and did not find them as memorable as others.
    GBF wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback...

I also was surprised by the good results for Trevelyan and Dr. No. Even though I like the two quotes I have never thought of them so very often and did not find them as memorable as others.

The Dr No line is pure class. It is a brilliant line.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,884
    vzok wrote: »

[i]"I ve been expecting you, mr Bond."[/i] or "Welcome, Mr Bond, I ve been expecting you." There have been some quotes that are rather similar, but I can t remember those exact words ever being said.

Didn't Stromberg finally cover that one?

Also M in TSWLM: "Welcome, James. We've been expecting you."

EDIT: It actually starts with "Hello" and not "Welcome"...