I honestly have no idea on this, little help.

edited November 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 645
I had a friend who isn't into Bond films ask me if they talk about the other Bonds in the films.... Such as Moore mention Connery or Dalton mention Moore, etc... And I thought that was dumb, seeing Moore and Dalton having issues with his late wife Teressa Bond. BUT then I think back to a few films where, you hear 00's have a short life expectancy. Wondering if it's implied that once your in MI6, your name is erased and your new name is James Bond, 007. And when your time is up, they choose another Bond. Possible? Please DE-bunk me here, or give me some backup. I'm interested in knowing for sure.

Comments

• I don't know if it was the late night last night but I'm not sure I understand the question

Friend not into 007 movies, ok

things get a bit ambiguous thereafter, I've read it again and it still doesn't make any coherent understanding, probably as clear as day really, but maybe someone else could offer assistance

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    All I can say is try this link out. We go into depth about this topic.

">So exactly how does the Double O career scale works?
    Sorry I mumbled on a bit here.....

Is the name James Bond 007 a name your given at MI6?
    And that would make Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan, Craig NOT all the same person? As if one dies and another is assigned with the name James Bond.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    No, that's not the case. I guess they just happen to like Matinis too?...

It's one man played by many actors.
  • This theory has been floating around for years now and it would explain some things, like how bond went from a 48 year old suave irish guy to a 38 year old badass englishman. and how bond went from wise cracking, one linering and making pigeons do double takes to being a dark cold secret agent who kills anybody who gets in his way. But then again they still have the same intrests, same relationship with moneypenny and bonds wife has been bought up a couple of times.

So no, its the same guy. Although they never did explain why bonds personality and appearence changed. When lasenby was taking over they considered having bond have plastic surgery but in the end i think they just thought "screw this we'll just pretend its the same guy".
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited November 2011 Posts: 1,699
    At the time of its production, the director of DAD, Lee Tamahori, claimed this notion may be how the Bond character works, to cries of near blasphemy from much of the Bond fanbase, I seem to recall.

Aside from speculating journo types and the odd fan, I've never heard of any other Bond filmmaker or anyone connected with the world of Bond seriously speculating on this idea. In which case, methinks you can take it as pretty much written that the Bond character is supposed to be the same character in each of his different actors' interpretations - even though, frankly, almost every one of the films has arguably only existed within its own universe...
    @thelivingroyale Yeah it makes sense about Monnepenny's relationship with him, and bonds wife, etc. I just wish there was an ultimate explanation of sorts, I like the plastic surgery idea, haha. @St_George I can certainly see the fanbase getting upset with such a sub-story that would make you rethink all the bond films. Blah. Oh well.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    it's hard to explain...

because each is essentially it's own stand along mission - only briefly in the franchise do we get a sense of continuity between all the films, and thats usually a mention of Bond's wife (as in TSWLM, FYEO, LTK, and TWINE) - the only other time i can think of blatant attempt at continuity was between DN and FRWL - where Kronsteen mentions SPECTRE having a chance to get revenge on Bond for killing Dr NO... in OHMSS, when Bond pulls out little souvenirs from the previous films... the relic room in DAD... and the direct continuity between the storylines of CR and QOS - but that is pretty much it....

the easiest explanation to give, is it's the same character, played by different actors...... and you just got to let the age continuity thing go, because you'll drive yourself mad trying to find an explanation.
  • My understanding, from years of being a fan, was that at the time of the Roger Moore films you were still supposed to believe that Connery, Lazenby, and Moore were all playing the same man. So technically Moore in AVTAK was supposed to be the same guy who went up against Dr. No in 1962.

When LTK came out it was the first "official" recognition that a bit of retconning was in order. Apparently the press materials mentioned that Bond had been married in 1979, instead of 1969 (the year it "really" happened according to OHMSS and FYEO). A minor tweak to be sure but one that was necessitated by Dalton's age.

Then when Brosnan took over there was a bit more retconning. Although they mentioned that he was a "relic of the cold war" his age meant that he wasn't around for most of it. Then, when TWINE came out there was a very interesting interview I read with the film-makers. I've searched online for it for a long time but can't find a version on the web; I can't recall which magazine I read it in. They said that when they were discussing what Bond's reaction should be to Elektra's question "Have you ever lost anyone?" they couldn't decide if "Brosnan's Bond had been married". This to me was the first real indication that they were messing with the chronology of the character in more ways than just dates.
    @haserot well said. haha
    @thelordflasheart right, there was some of the issues I was referring to, the ("relic of the cold war") comment.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    I recall reading that an early idea for OHMSS would explain the change of actor by bond being given plastic surgery, supposedly as he was becoming too well known to the villains.