CLOSED

Comments

Capital punishment for someone who killed himself?

Only to make sure ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Good point...in this case.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is one year since the similar attack in Stockholm, where the driver said he did it on behalf of the IS. The Swedish administration however, has just said that his motives are still unclear.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    It is one year since the similar attack in Stockholm, where the driver said he did it on behalf of the IS. The Swedish administration however, has just said that his motives are still unclear.

That's quite a different story that may be cause for criticism of the prosecutors' handling of the particular matter, but no cause for "People's Court" style condemnation of suspects in other cases. Right now, there is still no indication that the guy at Münster had even remotely Islamist motives. He may even have been an atheist- not that it has been mentioned.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Latest news: The guy who "did" Münster was a German(-born) citizen known to have had mental problems. Let's wait for further clarification before bashing adherents of whatever religion, please. Or politicians who allowed refugees in.
    Well a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

Every time there's one of these incidents I'm more than happy to put a tenner on the table that it's a Muslim if you are happy to match it that it's not? Pretty confident I'd come out comfortably on top over the year.
    Capital punishment is a complete no-no and has been proven not to deter anyone anyhow.
    Couldn't really care less it it deters or not; I'm quite happy just to keep some scum off the streets permanently and the taxpayer not have to foot the bill for him to sit around playing PS4 for 30 years.
    What does "German-born" mean anyway? Why not just "German" ?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 8,696

"German-born" in this case means he's a "regular", or if you will even "Aryan" (not that I know) German citizen who has not acquired citizenship later on, for whatever reason, making him sort of non-suspect of being a Muslim mole or sleeper or whatever. And certainly "German-born" does mean he is not a recent refugee and especially none that was let in by the government ("Angela Merkel") in 2015.
    All right, but at least he was clearly inspired by the Mohammedan attrocities, just as they in turn were inspired by the hideous Japanese van attack that preceded them.
    And you're saying? Just because some shooters in Europe were inspired by Columbine or whatever, it's the Americans' fault?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 45,489
    I am just saying that Muhammad has brought nothing good to Europe, ever.

Except those decent folks who escaped his influence.
    Or maybe he was a fan of the RAF. The german version, not the british one. Yep, not all terrorists are muslim, after all.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Or maybe he was a fan of the RAF. The german version, not the british one. Yep, not all terrorists are muslim, after all.

No one has ever said they were, but the very fact that the suspicion falls that way speaks volumes.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117

"German-born" in this case means he's a "regular", or if you will even "Aryan" (not that I know) German citizen who has not acquired citizenship later on, for whatever reason, making him sort of non-suspect of being a Muslim mole or sleeper or whatever. And certainly "German-born" does mean he is not a recent refugee and especially none that was let in by the government ("Angela Merkel") in 2015.
    German born is meaningless as that could make him a pig farmer from the Black Forest, a strip bar owner from Hamburg or a BMW engineer from Munich. Or he could be a jihadi. Or just a bog standard schizo.

The 7-7 bombers were 'British born' but I couldn't give a toss what your passport says - believing in sharia law, recording a suicide video slating Britain then blowing by yourself up on a tube train shouting 'Allah akhbar' doesn't make you 'British' in the slightest in my book.

PS - Has anyone offered any thoughts and prayers yet?
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Thoughts and prayers do nothing @TheWizardOfIce ,and that comes from a believer...this is something countries need to step up and deal with themselves.

Capital punishment needs to return,and any do-gooder on here that can offer a better suggestion then go for it.
    Yes,we are stepping down to their level ,but this needs evil to beat evil.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Thoughts and prayers do nothing @TheWizardOfIce ,and that comes from a believer...this is something countries need to step up and deal with themselves.
    Hmm not sure you're right there mate. I mean after all Sadiq Khan says it every time there's an attack and he wouldn't do that if it was utterly pointless would he now?
    Capital punishment needs to return,and any do-gooder on here that can offer a better suggestion then go for it.
    You'll hear no objections from me Sir. Simple case of economics, the country is on its arse so why are paying millions over their sentence to keep the likes of Ian Huntley and Michael Adebolajo housed, fed and watered for the next 50 odd years?

I say take out the back and shoot them in the head and use that money on baby incubators, kidney machines, cancer research etc, etc.

If you want to call me a callous, inhuman monster who is no better than these killers fine but then you go and look the relatives of someone who died of cancer in the eye and explain that the NHS had no money for the latest chemo drugs because it had been spent paying for murdering vermin to sit around all day doing university courses for free and watching telly.
    Hmm not sure you're right there mate. I mean after all Sadiq Khan says it every time there's an attack and he wouldn't do that if it was utterly pointless would he now?
    You'll hear no objections from me Sir. Simple case of economics, the country is on its arse so why are paying millions over their sentence to keep the likes of Ian Huntley and Michael Adebolajo housed, fed and watered for the next 50 odd years?

I say take out the back and shoot them in the head and use that money on baby incubators, kidney machines, cancer research etc, etc.

If you want to call me a callous, inhuman monster who is no better than these killers fine but then you go and look the relatives of someone who died of cancer in the eye and explain that the NHS had no money for the latest chemo drugs because it had been spent paying for murdering vermin to sit around all day doing university courses for free and watching telly.

Exactly......sometimes we need to regress to progress..i had to nurse my mum to death from cancer when they let her go home to die and that money could be used on at least making decent people comfortable as well as research ..or to pay our services better...we see the same on this my friend.

Exactly......sometimes we need to regress to progress..i had to nurse my mum to death from cancer when they let her go home to die and that money could be used on at least making decent people comfortable as well as research ..or to pay our services better...we see the same on this my friend.
    Or just to knock off a couple of quid off my income tax bill.

I trust you were cheered by that good news story the other day of the pensioner who killed a burglar? Pretty pathetic he got nicked at all but surprising to see the police using some common sense for a change and letting him go.

I trust you were cheered by that good news story the other day of the pensioner who killed a burglar? Pretty pathetic he got nicked at all but surprising to see the police using some common sense for a change and letting him go.

Indeed...its has given me a sliver of hope that maybe we are toughening up...people saying he didnt deserve to be stabbed didnt surprise me.
    Well done to that gentleman who bloody well defended his property ...as i am sure you and i would,but we are in the minority my old pal.

Indeed...its has given me a sliver of hope that maybe we are toughening up...people saying he didnt deserve to be stabbed didnt surprise me.
    Well done to that gentleman who bloody well defended his property ...as i am sure you and i would,but we are in the minority my old pal.
    No I can see where they're coming from to be fair. He didn't deserve to be stabbed. He deserved to be lowered inch by agonising inch into a vat of boiling oil while being forced to watch a Michael McIntyre DVD.

I'd love to see anyone google Henry Vincent and then try to argue that the world is not a better place for him ceasing to exist.

No I can see where they're coming from to be fair. He didn't deserve to be stabbed. He deserved to be lowered inch by agonising inch into a vat of boiling oil while being forced to watch a Michael McIntyre DVD.

I'd love to see anyone google Henry Vincent and then try to argue that the world is not a better place for him ceasing to exist.

That made me chuckle in a non-chuckling thread...haha !
    Two words for th death penalty apologists : Tim Evans. Google it.

Not to mention that the death penalty, whatever the country, has never been applied equally. If yoyu have the right skin colour, the right fortune, the right lawyer, the right judge, the right jury, you can get away with the most awful things. Witness the Priest of Uruffe.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837

Derek Bentley's another. In theory I'd have no problem with the death penalty being there for the most extreme, cut and dry sort of cases, but my worry is once it's there where do you draw the line.

For example, I'm surprised at what people are saying the burglar case. I'm not saying the homeowner should have been punished. He was a scared old man and his reaction was completely understandable. But say things had turned out differently and he'd been arrested, are we actually arguing to put people to death for burglary now? I'd say most of us on here have probably been lucky enough to have had nice normal upbringings, same isn't true of everyone. Me and my siblings are from a fairly rough area, we lost our mum and our dad wasn't around at the time (his parents in Jamaica didn't even know we existed) so we went into care. Luckily we were fostered and adopted when we were young and I'm forever grateful for that. But not everyone is.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/may/23/children-in-care-crime-custody-review-prison-reform-trust

Like I said, every case should be judged on its own merits. But some people never really had a fair chance in life so I find it pretty shocking that people are arguing not only for the death penalty but for it to be dished out so harshly.
    Two words: Stefan Kiszko. Google it. Are you saying that just because he went to prison instead that was any less a miscarriage of justice?

The death penalty is just a punishment at the end of the process and is not to blame for failings in the judicial process that convicts people.
    Derek Bentley's another.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Derek Bentley correctly convicted by the letter of the law as it stood at the time?

Obviously it's ridiculous to us now that someone with the mental age of a child, manipulated by a younger but more intelligent boy, who was in police custody at the time of the murder should hang but the court decided he was legally as culpable as Craig (and lest we forget it was the murder of a policeman and at time when the government wanted to show they were being tough on juvenile crime) and as he was of adult age he hung.

Again blame the politicians and legal system not Albert Pierrepoint.

You conveniently ignore the flip side of the argument one notes:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16638227

How is this any better? So as prison 'apologists' perhaps you'd like to explain to the families of those victims why capital punishment is so inherently flawed?
    But say things had turned out differently and he'd been arrested, are we actually arguing to put people to death for burglary now?
    I don't think anyone has argued that. We merely observed that the death of Henry Vincent can hardly be categorised as a tragedy.

But now you mention it for career, workshy, cowardly scum like that making a living by preying on the elderly I'd be more than happy to pull the lever myself.

Anyone can have a shit upbringing and even make a mistake in life. But once you're beyond 3 convictions then I think you've had your chance. But happy to put people like that to work breaking rocks or on treadmills generating electricity for 14 hours a day rather than just kill them. If the state can squeeze some use from their feckless existence then it should.
    Two words: Stefan Kiszko. Google it. Are you saying that just because he went to prison instead that was any less a miscarriage of justice?

The death penalty is just a punishment at the end of the process and is not to blame for failings in the judicial process that convicts people.
    Derek Bentley's another.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Derek Bentley correctly convicted by the letter of the law as it stood at the time?

Obviously it's ridiculous to us now that someone with the mental age of a child, manipulated by a younger but more intelligent boy, who was in police custody at the time of the murder should hang but the court decided he was legally as culpable as Craig (and lest we forget it was the murder of a policeman and at time when the government wanted to show they were being tough on juvenile crime) and as he was of adult age he hung.

Again blame the politicians and legal system not Albert Pierrepoint.

You conveniently ignore the flip side of the argument one notes:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16638227

How is this any better? So as prison 'apologists' perhaps you'd like to explain to the families of those victims why capital punishment is so inherently flawed?
    But say things had turned out differently and he'd been arrested, are we actually arguing to put people to death for burglary now?
    I don't think anyone has argued that. We merely observed that the death of Henry Vincent can hardly be categorised as a tragedy.

But now you mention it for career, workshy, cowardly scum like that making a living by preying on the elderly I'd be more than happy to pull the lever myself.

Anyone can have a shit upbringing and even make a mistake in life. But once you're beyond 3 convictions then I think you've had your chance. But happy to put people like that to work breaking rocks or on treadmills generating electricity for 14 hours a day rather than just kill them. If the state can squeeze some use from their feckless existence then it should.

I couldnt agree more on ALL your points,Wiz...well said old pal.
    BBC News :

US President Trump has lashed out at the Syrian President and his allies Russia & Iran over a suspected chemical attack ,saying there will be a "big price to pay".

Scores of people are said to have been killed in an attack on the rebel-held town of Douma yesterday.

The UK called for an urgent inquiry,while Pope Francis said nothing could justify using chemical weapons.

Both Syria and Russia deny a chemical attack took place.

In a series of tweets ,Mr Trump described President Assad as an "animal".
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 40,473
    It shocks me anytime Trump speaks negatively of Putin. It's so out of character for him.
    The White Helmets and Jaish-al-Islam at it again.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117
    while Pope Francis said nothing could justify using chemical weapons.
    Can somebody explain to me why this guy feels he has some mandate to chip in his tuppence on world affairs?

God knows the UK, a nuclear power, just spouts empty threats and is powerless to stop Putin so what does the Vatican think it can do? Hit him with some strongly worded thoughts and prayers? Or more likely freeze his accounts in the Vatican bank so he can't access his ill gotten gains.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It shocks me anytime Trump speaks negatively of Putin. It's so out of character for him.

Putin gave him permission perhaps?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Hopefully Trump will hit the Syrian leadership with all that he's got. It's time that action was taken again.
This discussion has been closed.