CLOSED

Comments

stag wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    There are no easy solutions at times like this. People need to be prepared for a long slog. But also to put things in perspective and not overreact.

Its not overreacting ,its a case of these cowards are killing children and live and are building mosques like mad in all our countries and all we do is sit here and say the same things until the next time.

I wonder if all those people who were caught up in terrorist attacks are 'overreacting'? I wonder if it is 'overreacting' to state that anyone who wishes to play the terrorists at their own game must be ideologically linked in some way to Trump/Farage /LePenn etc?

It would appear that some here wish us to adopt the French government mantra, terrorism is here, you'd better get used to it. We cannot address the fundamentals of the issue because it raises the (whispers) race word. Also I see the usual tactic employed whenever anyone wishes to come up with a solution - ignoring most of what is being said, turning the subject away from targeting terrorists to accusations of targeting the Muslim population in general. Heaven forfend that we actually acknowledge that these people are at war with us (the terrorist - not the UK Muslim population at large), let's continue to hand wring and come up with theories which turn the spotlight away from the truth.

BTW I do agree about the Saudis. They have have long been playing a game all of their own.

And i'm one of them.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They buy a weapons in large quantities, and in return we let them spread Wahhabism and Salafist insanity around the Muslim world.

They spread those weapons, too.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Not denying the Muslim dimension at all. Just that if one screwed up f****** kills lots of teenage girls that doesn't represents an existential threat to the UK. Why elevate him to something that he isn't? You're doing his work for him.

I don't think I ever suggested he or, indeed ISIS, was an existential threat to the UK. They are a ragtag band of crackpots who are barely making any headway even in their medieval heartlands. But does it have get to the point where ISIS actually invade before we consider we have a problem in this country? Although I agree with what I think you're getting at - we give them far too much publicity. Ideally the attacks would go unreported but obviously that isn't going to happen so a practical step would be not name the attacker at all and deny the losers their 15 means of infamy.
    @TheWizardOfIce you have a brilliant mind but like so many on the alt right you are seduced by the simplistic idiocies of people like Trump and Farage.

A brilliant mind until it comes to considering that Islam might be some kind of factor in all this and then I'm just a frothing lunatic? I guess there's some kind of compliment in there. You seem to have a fine mind yourself Sir but seem similarly blinkered when it comes to lapping up the repetitive liberal multicultural simplistic idiocies we get fed after every single attack.
    When you choose to return to the world of reality please take the time to look up what the real experts have to say on these issues.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/former-mi5-chief-demolishes-blairs-defence-of-the-iraq-war-2031289.html

You wont get any argument from me that the Iraq and Afghanistan wars did nothing to help the situation. You knew where you stood with Saddam and he kept them in check. There's no point trying to foist liberal democracy on people who think stoning women is perfectly acceptable. Should've just left them to it. I can understand why a lot of people in these countries hate the west.

But none of the bombers come from these countries they are ostensibly 'UK citizens'. So what makes teenage boys from Bradford, Bolton, Rotherham wherever want to blow themselves up for a random country they've no connection with rather than spending their time drinking and shagging girls? If you can offer a credible hypothesis I'm all ears as my not so brilliant mind can only get as far as the obvious link that only thickos and racists make - Islam.
    I'm all for clamping down on the extremist preachers. And for finding ways to stop the Saudis spreading their evil brand of Islamist filth around the world. Problem is our leaders - especially in the UK and US it seems - absolutely love the Saudis. They buy a weapons in large quantities, and in return we let them spread Wahhabism and Salafist insanity around the Muslim world.

Well of course that's the elephant in the room. Boris slagged off the Saudis ever so slightly a few months ago and got a massive bollocking followed by a snivelling statement from May that they are our allies.

Until the West is willing to confront the Saudi question we won't get anywhere. I guess at some point there will be a tipping point where paying a bit more for your petrol will be less important than not having your kids blown up but I fear we're a long way from that at the moment. 99% of the public aren't even aware of Saudi exporting its pernicious Wahhabism as the driving force behind all this.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    It's interesting to note that the Afghanistan war has been ongoing for 16 years and counting.

Ridiculous when one thinks about it, given the world's most advanced military is essentially fighting a bunch of ragtag zealots over there, and not a major army.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's interesting to note that the Afghanistan war has been ongoing for 16 years and counting.

Ridiculous when one thinks about it, given the world's most advanced military is essentially fighting a bunch of ragtag zealots over there, and not a major army.

Well there as well it doesn't help if you keep on arming your opponents, even though not done directly. The only way to win such a war is to occupy the area until the next generation can take over, educated and protected under law (no, not sharia!). But no western power is willing to do this/ plan that far ahead.

Well there as well it doesn't help if you keep on arming your opponents, even though not done directly. The only way to win such a war is to occupy the area until the next generation can take over, educated and protected under law (no, not sharia!). But no western power is willing to do this/ plan that far ahead.
    I've always felt that they're there as a strategic block. It is a link between Russia, Asia and the Middle East after all. Geography is destiny and all that jazz. Turkey is another one that's very important geographically.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,602
    Good point made earlier about boys shagging and boozing. Whilst not defending these idiots, we should try to imagine what the World looks like from their perspective. The liberal west (since the 50s) has been briliant at inventing a whole culture for teenagers/youngsters including music, drink, sex (the pill etc), be yourself (gay, transgender etc), recreational drugs, fashion, media etc etc. Late teens can be a tough time and its when we establish friends for life and take is as many new and memorable expereinces as possible.
    So imagine watching all this happening but not being part of it. Being told that much/most of this in sinful (even a bacon sandwich!) so hating the West for its sinful ways but, at the same time, jeallous to see these "others" having a good/fantastic/headonistic time and relating well to each other and the culture they live in. This must create horrible pressures inside these boys and makes it much easier to turn them into what they become.

But, of course, none of what I have said has any meaning because it's nothing to do with Islam.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 1,031
    patb wrote: »
    Good point made earlier about boys shagging and boozing. Whilst not defending these idiots, we should try to imagine what the World looks like from their perspective. The liberal west (since the 50s) has been briliant at inventing a whole culture for teenagers/youngsters including music, drink, sex (the pill etc), be yourself (gay, transgender etc), recreational drugs, fashion, media etc etc. Late teens can be a tough time and its when we establish friends for life and take is as many new and memorable expereinces as possible.
    So imagine watching all this happening but not being part of it. Being told that much/most of this in sinful (even a bacon sandwich!) so hating the West for its sinful ways but, at the same time, jeallous to see these "others" having a good/fantastic/headonistic time and relating well to each other and the culture they live in. This must create horrible pressures inside these boys and makes it much easier to turn them into what they become.

But, of course, none of what I have said has any meaning because it's nothing to do with Islam.

I watched Question Time last week and one guy was incensed that he went to an open day at a mosque and found some literature that was critical of some of these aspects of western society. But, whatever you think about these aspects of our society, what is so wrong in being critical of them? Now being critical of them and then blowing people up because you are critical of them is obviously deplorable. But we supposedly live in a free society with free speech. If someone wants to be openly critical of these aspects of western society then they should be allowed to do so.

I mean just go to a major city in the UK on a Saturday night - there are some sights to be had!
    Dennison wrote: »

I watched Question Time last week and one guy was incensed that he went to an open day at a mosque and found some literature that was critical of some of these aspects of western society. But, whatever you think about these aspects of our society, what is so wrong in being critical of them? Now being critical of them and then blowing people up because you are critical of them is obviously deplorable. But we supposedly live in a free society with free speech. If someone wants to be openly critical of these aspects of western society then they should be allowed to do so.

So did I .

And that man was torn to shred's and made out to be a liar,even though he had the proof with him,and then ignored.

Typical BBC shit...they do love their Muslims on the Muslim Broadcasting Company (MBC not BBC).

So did I .

And that man was torn to shred's and made out to be a liar,even though he had the proof with him,and then ignored.

Typical BBC shit...they do love their Muslims on the Muslim Broadcasting Company (MBC not BBC).

That's the problem with our liberal PC society - any thing against Muslims is verboeten. So when this man has a go at what he was given at a mosque the immediate response is to defend Muslims - claiming that it wasn't true or that that literature isn't commonplace. But my point is that there was nothing wrong with that literature - why can't people criticise western society?

So did I .

That's the problem with our liberal PC society - any thing against Muslims is verboeten. So when this man has a go at what he was given at a mosque the immediate response is to defend Muslims - claiming that it wasn't true or that that literature isn't commonplace. But my point is that there was nothing wrong with that literature - why can't people criticise western society?

That was a pretty isolated incident...these people criticize the West all the time,and nobody even monitors it or tries to diffuse the fanatasism that is brainwashed into people daily In these mosques and other 'places'.

We just let them get on with it and act surprised (not any more though) when a bomb goes off or someone steals a vehicle and plays human skittles.

• edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425

The war in Afghanistan started in 1979 when the Soviets invaded. Then we funded the Islamists to fight the Commies. The was has been going on for 40 years.

No European or western army has ever won a war in Afghanistan. May be Alexander the Great. But people like Bush and Blair weren't into their history very much.

The war in Afghanistan started in 1979 when the Soviets invaded. Then we funded the Islamists to fight the Commies. The was has been going on for 40 years.

No European or western army has ever won a war in Afghanistan. May be Alexander the Great. But people like Bush and Blair weren't into their history very much.

Bush couldn't even read could he ?

No European or western army has ever won a war in Afghanistan.
    Yes, and these clowns were warned of that before they went in. I remember that clearly. Now here we are, with countless lives lost and more problems than solutions.

We fought with Islamists in Oman too.

The British defeated the Afghans in the First Anglo-Afghan War.
    Very short lived 'victory'
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    why can't people criticise western society?

Why can't people criticise Islam?

I don't think anyone has ever said you can't criticise western culture. Have to say it's a bit rich though that people are happy to reap all the benefits of western culture such as prosperity, affluence, dental care, infrastructure that's slightly in advance of a donkey and cart but then can't wait to slag it off.

If you really would prefer to live in a place where your daughter gets lynched for showing her ankles by all means f**k off there.

• edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425

I don't think anyone has ever said you can't criticise western culture. Have to say it's a bit rich though that people are happy to reap all the benefits of western culture such as prosperity, affluence, dental care, infrastructure that's slightly in advance of a donkey and cart but then can't wait to slag it off.

If you really would prefer to live in a place where your daughter gets lynched for showing her ankles by all means f**k off there.

It's founded in a deep sense of inferiority and grievance going back centuries and the Muslims have simply never come to terms with the fact that their civilisation, despite once having been preeminent, is now moribund and frankly defunct.

The problem is Islam and particularly Sunni Islam and its inability to come to terms with the modern world.

Oh well said @TheWizardOfIce ....totally totally right ..im behind you on this one 1000% Wiz !!

"why can't people criticise western society?"

Being critical is fine if that criticism is based on reason/rationality.

I'm open to a rational critique of why a 20 year old man can't have a boyfriend or a bacon sandwich or a pint of bitter etc,

Or a rational justification of how a 20 year old woman cant show her earlobes in public or have a girlfriend.

Western society is criticised every day...by Western society. Free speech and open critique are part of our core values. Its what we do. (this forum is proof of that)

Very hard to say the same thing about Islam. It's brilliant at coming up with irrational views of liberalism and hopeless and looking at itself.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Criticising islam is punishable by death in some islamic countries.
    Criticising islam is punishable by death in some islamic countries.
    Which is unacceptable of course. They can practice it if they want (it's their right) but others should be able to criticize it and debate it openly and intelligently (both the idea of religion and the fundamental tenets of Islam).

What about satire? That's a different question. I personally think that's not helpful given the climate we live in, but since free speech is a right it can't be stopped either.

If we're going to eventually eradicate religion the tone of the debate is important.
    On a different note, it seems that acts are lining up to perform at the fund raising concert in Manchester (too soon IMHO but thats another discussion). I wonder what concert will be performed for the victims of the recent massive car bomb in Afghanistan. I think there seems to be casm between the reaction to these events at home (an over reaction IMHO) to the way we treat arguably (and factualy) worse bombings abroad. The injuries will be no less horendous and the grief of the relatives no weaker.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I wonder if a concert will be performed in Afghanistan for the victims of the Manchester bombing? No, terrorist attacks abroad are no less horrendous, often more so, but they grieve for their own, and we for ours.
    Fair point but has Justin Beiber's manager been in the phone to Afghanistan?...sometimes the barriers seem more based around the West against the non-West
    I wouldn't say sometimes. Pretty much always. If western media showed more of the children who have lost limbs and futures during the Afghanistan, Iraq, Syrian & Palestinian conflicts, the public likely would have a different perspective.

Instead we are largely sheltered from such realities unless it suits the propaganda machine. The media and governments focus our attention on the 'dictator' (while they support the biggest dictators of all - namely the un-elected Sunni sheikhs who fund this stuff).

There is an element of emotional manipulation at play, and people fall for it every time. Emotions, once triggered, can cloud judgement and rationale.
    Another interesting direction and not one IMHO that is good. The effort to somehow imply that innocent third parties are legally responsible for compensation and, by implication, that its not the terrorist who is responsible. I am struggling to see how the car hire firm are liable in any way. Will the families in Manchester be making claims against the owners of the arena? or the owner of the flat which was rented out to build the bomb?

Or the petrol station that sold the terrorist the fuel that enabled him to drive to Westminster?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/02/francisco-lopes-man-injured-westminster-attack-seeks-compensation

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Where there is blame there is a claim or so the Ambulance Chasers would have you believe !.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    If it ever got there, it would be thrown out of court. I sell someone my old car, they then choose to get behind the wheel drunk, they kill someone. Who is responsible?

Sadly, in the UK, a whole rotten industry has sprung up around the compensation and blame culture.

Seeing as ISIS claimed responsibility for the Westminster attack, they have left themselves open to a lawsuit by this chap. I wish him luck in bringing them to court.
This discussion has been closed.