"Balls Q?" - Rugby Discussion Thread

Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
in General Discussion Posts: 2,721
Wondering if there are any fellow Rugby fans in this wonderful melting pot?

The Lions tour is coming up in June and I don't think I'm the only one looking forward to it...

f11dfd1f8bed7bf660164762d6463035.jpg

Comments

Great picture, when was that taken? Not so fussed about club rugby, but I do enjoy the international matches!
    I watch Rugby Union international matches, Six nations and World Cup Mainly.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Great picture, when was that taken? Not so fussed about club rugby, but I do enjoy the international matches!

I believe this would have been taken four years ago at the Lions 2013 tour in Australia - Sydney I think. What a thrill for the team - win a series and share a beer with Bond as he congratulates you!

Good to hear there are some other rugby fans on here @RogueAgent and @fire_and_ice
    I'm a New Zealander so I guess it's in the DNA. I have tickets to the first Lions test. Really excited - I went to a Lions versus a local team here back in 2005 and the atmosphere was amazing. The lions supporters are great fun - just like the barmy army cricket fans. Always good craic.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Tomorrow (Wednesday June 7th - 8:30am British Time, 7:30pm NZ time) the British and Irish Lions play their second game of the tour of New Zealand against the 'Auckland Blues' - this will be their first strong test of the team. Some players to look out for on both sides...

LIONS:
    Maro Itoje (one of the absolute standouts of England's triumphant six nations)

CJ Stander (A powerhouse for Ireland this year and a try scoring machine - scoring a hatrick against Italy as well as a killer blow in Ireland's historic first win over the All Blacks last year)

Rhys Webb (A real tussle for the vital halfback position with Irishman Conor Murray. This is a real area of strength within the Lions. With impressive Englishman Ben Youngs unfortunately pulling out of the tour - Welshman Webb will be using this game to impress the selectors for the test matches.)

BLUES:
    Rieko Ioane (this kid is already a superstar locally - if he carves up I expect to see him in the All Blacks squad for the tests.)

Stephen Perofeta (mainly because he's a surprise pick in a vital, tactical position)

Sonny Bill Williams (One of the highest profile sports stars in New Zealand. The two-time rugby union world cup winner, professional boxer and rugby league premiership winning star is sweating on an injury so may be a late scratch. But with fair to middling performances this year peppered with injuries it will be interesting to see whether the magnetic midfielder can press for a spot in the All Blacks again.)

promo320850712
    Witness a magnificent rugby moment...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9CWdwr-AygU

Apologies if I'm just posting for myself! But this is the critical game winning play from last night's upset victory as the Auckland Blues defeated the British and Irish Lions in the second game of their much anticipated tour. Offloads, pace and stepping your opposition. What New Zealand rugby is all about.
    Tonight the British and Irish Lions scored a vital victory against the Canterbury Crusaders - a team that before today were unbeaten all season for 14 games and the Lions outmuscled them in defence to score a miserly 12-3 win. It was an important game as it has brought the tour to life. Impressive seeing as the Lions had a few injuries in the game as well as having to take on the fancied Crusaders at home in the cauldron of Christchurch. It builds up nicely to next weekend's game which I'm attending - when the Lions will take on the New Zealand Maori team. Can't wait!
    Alright chaps - in six hours time I'm off tonight to see the first test - All Blacks vs British and Irish Lions!

If you're reading this thread and have even a passing interest in rugby then I urge you to check out this game if you have the opportunity. The Lions have had a good tour so far. Winning their last two games against provincial teams with significant ease and in the last game with a fair amount of style. Outside of a World Cup this is as tense as a rugby series gets - so I'm excited to be there to see it in the flesh. Should be two great teams going toe-to-toe and anyone could win it. Can't wait!

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Anyone watch the NRL grand final on Sunday night? I'm pretty sure I heard them play Live and Let Die under the commentary.