BECOMING BOND - new documentary feature on the other other fellow, George Lazenby

Comments

Hope it gets a blu-ray release.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    'Becoming Bond' will screen at the Revelation Perth International Film Festival in July 2017, and will feature two Q&A sessions with George Lazenby.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    'Becoming Bond' will screen at the Revelation Perth International Film Festival in July 2017, and will feature two Q&A sessions with George Lazenby.

Nice to see they still marketing it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Finally got a chance to sit down and watch this one in full. On the whole, it was enjoyable. I was a bit disappointed in some of it, as I wanted to see more of the actual making of OHMSS, when we really just got snippets and the emphasis was front-loaded to George's early life and adulthood pre-Bond. I was also interested to see an absence of Cubby in the film. I know that Cubby and George never got on, with the former seeming to think the Aussie was a petulant child and the latter going out of his way to spite him on set. From all I've researched Harry was fond of George and really stuck his neck out for him to get cast and backed him up once he was filming OHMSS, so that may be why he got all the focus to avoid pissing off the Broccoli family by showing Cubby and George go at it.

As with the Everything or Nothing documentary, I never expected this piece to have such a heart to it. You really see George spill his guts, and I was surprised to see him get emotional about his past in a way that really touched me. The more I read about him the more I feel real sympathy for him, and I hate to see him ragged on. People don't seem to get his story and why, for him, it was such a shock to the system to be in his position. Every Bond actor from Roger onward faced certain hurdles and hiccups but nothing truly major. In George's day the world only knew James Bond as Sean Connery, so the target on his back for both not being Connery and being completely untrained and inexperienced with no prestige to his name was a massive one. It really pisses me off to see how mistreated and misunderstood he has been all this time, because nobody has a right to place a judgment on him. In 1969 there was never any indication that Sean would ever come back, and no Sean in the role could've easily met the death of James Bond. In retrospect it's easy to call George's decision a daft move, but in the context of the time I could see many people doing the same.

Ultimately George's maverick sense of individualism was really on display here and that is what sells the entire piece. He doesn't play by anyone's rules and nobody is his keeper. There's a certain respect in that, and it's fitting that it's the message he leaves viewers with. I think he really understands far more than any other Bond actor just what Sean got scared off by when he played the role. The poisonous fame, the hungry and overbearing press, the brand overtaking the self, the lack of privacy and personal freedoms, the binding contracts, the expectation to be James Bond in your private life and all the rest that comes with it.

George tasted all that fresh from Sean in a time where Bond wasn't this decades long institution, and he was the first replacement before it was expected that Bond actors would be swapped out over time. Tim, Pierce and Dan especially get to sit down and talk about what Bond meant to them as kids with stars in their eyes but George was in the thick of it when the series was at its biggest moment of confusion and the strange circumstances that led to a car salesman getting the biggest gig in cinema is staggering. The took the brunt of it but didn't complain and got on with it. That he's made peace with so much of it is a relief and I ultimately respect him for sticking up for himself and following his gut when he didn't like the feeling of the suit on his skin.

Other random thoughts on the actual production of the piece itself:

I really enjoyed the casting of Josh Lawson, who I found to be a very strong fit for the role of George. He was able to replicate the charm and certain boldness of the man well. If that part failed, the documentary would've soured.

I was also impressed by the overall style of the film, from the imaginative and Binder-esque transitions, designs and pop-ups to how it was shot and staged. Usually with reenactment pieces you run the risk of getting very over-dramatized and cringe-inducing theater pieces where actors lay it on too thick. What I found refreshing about how this film was directed was how George's words would set the scene depicted and how Lawson would break the fourth wall to let the audience in on the man's fun in every moment. It gave off a certain charm and comedy by inviting the audience to come on the journey and the addition of a lot of stage-bound effects and projection not only connected the look of it to the vintage feeling of the early Bonds, but also gave it a more accessible and fun identity. George, as narrator, was willing to poke a lot of fun at himself and the film was able to go along with him for that ride.

Obviously every Bond fan should watch it, that's a no-brainer. If you like Lazenby as I do, you will only find more reason to believe he'd make a fine drinking partner or company for a night out. Also be prepared to be surprised by how much he peels himself back to reveal some regret and introspection too. It's not all laughs and we get a full picture of our great second James Bond in his every facet throughout.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have only seen the trailers, but the thing about Lawson is that he is totally unfit for Bond, whereas Lazenby was a perfect fit. Would this colour a viewer s perception of the Lazenby casting if he/she hasn t actually seen OHMSS?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have bookmarked it. Is this legal or likely to disappear?
    'Becoming Bond' is now available on iTunes Canada.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Yay!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Thanks for the link! It's a very well told story. Lazenby is his Aussie self, so you'll have to take the storytelling with a pinch of salt, but he seems very genuine. The reviews above are quite accurate so I won't bother doing that. I only regret they didn't tell more about the life after, as that seems quite interesting too.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Was lucky enough to catch Becoming Bond with a Q&A after with George Lazenby last night.
    Then today OHMSS again followed by a Q&A and photo / autograph signing with Lazenby.
    Was very impressed with Becoming Bond, a lot of fun. A pleasant surprise to be sure. To see OHMSS on the big screen was another treat. Having the man himself there and some photo ops was just the icing on the cake.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Benny wrote: »

Was lucky enough to catch Becoming Bond with a Q&A after with George Lazenby last night.
    Then today OHMSS again followed by a Q&A and photo / autograph signing with Lazenby.
    Was very impressed with Becoming Bond, a lot of fun. A pleasant surprise to be sure. To see OHMSS on the big screen was another treat. Having the man himself there and some photo ops was just the icing on the cake.

Jealous, I'm sure it was a blast.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    He's coming to West Virginia next, I'm sure!

No doubt about that: the birthplace of film and technology!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That's putting it mildly 007!

Epic @Benny, hope you took picutres, film, etc.... ;-)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That's putting it mildly 007!

Epic @Benny, hope you took picutres, film, etc.... ;-)

I got a picture with George, while my wife sat on his knee. His a randy old bugger. But very genuine and warm. Nice guy.
    Not sure how to upload it, but it's on my Facebook page.
    OHMSS on the big screen was epic. Sooo good. Becoming Bond is a real treat if you like George, or even if you're just a Bond fan. It's a lot of fun. I enjoyed it.

Any news of a UK release for Becoming Bond?
    @Benny, I saw the pic yesterday, George looked like he was ready to toss your wife over his shoulder and leave the event after the pic was snapped!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I watched it last night. It was really good. It was very nice learning more about the Bond I knew the least about. I also liked the presentation of the visuals. It's a nice little throwback to that era. And that ending song that combined the Bond theme and OHMSS theme. Killer.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Just watched this and what a delightful, charming and surprising movie. The lead actor was perfect - great comic timing. The film is full of pathos and I love Lazenby's storytelling. The part when he talks about regrets with his first love is moving. Even if many of his mistakes are self-inflicted there is a youthful exuberance to proceedings. Very enjoyable and Lazenby should be honoured by the effort the filmmakers have put in to recreating his life story. Still insanity that he didn't sign that contract. That same kind of arrogance that got him the role is the same made him walk away.

But made me want to rewatch OHMSS again!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I wouldn't say that it was primarily arrogance that made George leave. I think he perceived that he was hitching his wagon to a dying horse and wanted to get out before he went over the hill with it. That, and the world Bond occupied wasn't really his world, and I don't think he liked the feeling of it. Those who appreciate the simple things rarely get addicted or feel dependent on the glitz and glam of life.
    I wouldn't say that it was primarily arrogance that made George leave. I think he perceived that he was hitching his wagon to a dying horse and wanted to get out before he went over the hill with it. That, and the world Bond occupied wasn't really his world, and I don't think he liked the feeling of it. Those who appreciate the simple things rarely get addicted or feel dependent on the glitz and glam of life.

To me indeed in the documentary, it doesn't come over as arrogance. It's as you say, it wasn't his world, and for a guy who from his early youth on made decisions on a whim and loved his freedom above everything else, the strict rules of Bond just didn't fit. He made the decision as he always did, and then had to come up with a story.

I think George was the man who shouldn't have been there, but because he was he landed the role. He looked the part, fitted the part half perfectly, but the other half made it impossible for him to stay there.

To me indeed in the documentary, it doesn't come over as arrogance. It's as you say, it wasn't his world, and for a guy who from his early youth on made decisions on a whim and loved his freedom above everything else, the strict rules of Bond just didn't fit. He made the decision as he always did, and then had to come up with a story.

I think George was the man who shouldn't have been there, but because he was he landed the role. He looked the part, fitted the part half perfectly, but the other half made it impossible for him to stay there.

Quite. George is very much a leaf in the wind type, with liberty on the mind. Better to die riding high by one's own choice then lie low in chains for another's profit and all that.
    George Lazenby will present screenings of 'Becoming Bond' and 'Au service secret de Sa Majesté' at the Quebec City Film Festival on 15 - 16 September, 2017.
    wrong continent if you ask me.....
    'Becoming Bond' will be released on DVD in New Zealand on Thursday, 12 October, 2017.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Do they have a US Blu-ray release date scheduled?
    Do they have a US Blu-ray release date scheduled?

I haven't seen anything for it. I'm hoping it gets a release here, unlike Everything or Nothing.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Its well worth a watch for Bond aficionados, as I am sure most of you are here.
    'Becoming Bond' will be released on DVD in the UK on Monday, 6 November, 2017.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    'Becoming Bond' will be released on DVD in the UK on Monday, 6 November, 2017.

Great news! I'll bag my copy!