Goldeneye Laserdisc

edited March 2017 in Bond Movies Posts: 229
Here's the rare Laserdisc version of Goldeneye. So far I haven't been able to spot any differences but it was never uploaded to youtube before:

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    That is a series of classic moments one after the other.

-legendary THX intro (loved it since I was a kid)
    -United Artists intro (I so miss this in the new Bond films)
    -one of the best gunbarrel intros and compositions (imho)
    -an awesome opening sequence and jump (I can never tire of this PTS)
    -the introduction of a new Bond actor (always an iconic moment, even if he's unfortunately upside down in a toilet in this case)
    -The superb Goldeneye Overture in the background
    -the late Gottfried John's excellent exaggerated acting and delivery as Colonel Ouromov
    -Finally, we have the privilege of seeing Sean Bean overdoing an accent

I have no idea about the differences between the Laserdisc and others, but thanks for posting this sequence. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I skipped through, wasn't finding any differences at all. Always enjoy an excuse to rewatch any section from GE, though.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 229
    bondjames wrote: »
    That is a series of classic moments one after the other.
    -legendary THX intro (loved it since I was a kid)
    -United Artists intro (I so miss this in the new Bond films)
    -one of the best gunbarrel intros and compositions (imho)
    -an awesome opening sequence and jump (I can never tire of this PTS)
    -the introduction of a new Bond actor (always an iconic moment, even if he's unfortunately upside down in a toilet in this case)
    -The superb Goldeneye Overture in the background
    -the late Gottfried John's superb exaggerated acting and delivery as Colonel Ouromov
    -Finally, we have the privilege of seeing Sean Bean overdoing an accent

I have no idea about the differences between the Laserdisc and others, but thanks for posting this sequence. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
    Glad you did :)
    I own Goldeneye in several formats but it suprised me this wasn't on youtube before.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I skipped through, wasn't finding any differences at all. Always enjoy an excuse to rewatch any section from GE, though.
    Yes GE is propably my favourite Bond film.
    Anyone who is interested here is the first half of the movie from side 1 but beware as this is a large avi file:
    Part 1: https://we.tl/rrEu4gRPRv
    Part 2: https://we.tl/JJxXjTNVqR
    Part 3: https://we.tl/f7DHq0SOQ6
    Part 4: https://we.tl/9nrgvHtDVZ
    Part 5: https://we.tl/t0B54kA1qW
    Part 6: https://we.tl/t3Oje2vdWu
    Part 7: https://we.tl/Ffq7eJFr3y
    Part 8: https://we.tl/gaNSueXqca
    Thanks fo the sharing bro, like this :)
    Thanks fo the sharing bro, like this :)
    Your welcome :)
    I will post the final part of the movie soon.
    Thank you very much! I always love that non HD Quality :D its like the good old VHS Times :)
    @Gunbarrels007 ,
    Very cool to see the laser transfer. The color timing in the earlier laser was pretty much the same as the VHS. I had the VHS in widescreen and pan and scan and watched them both dozens of times. I also saw GE in the cinema around 12 times as well
    I personally prefer the colors on the laser as opposed to the Lowery remaster of 2006. Slightly brighter than the cinema prints (especially the gun barrel blood). But far truer in tint and hue to the way the film looked on screen.
    I have yet to get the Blu ray. I wonder, of all formats, which might be the definitive transfer of GoldenEye?
    Im not noticing much of a difference but found myself drawn into the film...actually i think the sound is very crisp ,as i listen to it without the distraction of watching it..its using my speakers well in all different directions.
    This thread is making me nostalgic for GE. Damn I wish I had time to watch the whole thing today.
    same here !!!!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Im not noticing much of a difference but found myself drawn into the film...actually i think the sound is very crisp ,as i listen to it without the distraction of watching it..its using my speakers well in all different directions.

I noticed that, too, the clearer sound had me tuning out and watching a good bit of the movie before I even realized how much time had passed.
    Yes ,weird....when you watch it you dont get the same vibe...but if you are here on MI6 with the sound in the background ,it is crisp ...so the issue may be the picture.
  • The opening and final fight in GE are among the best moments in the series, in my opinion, and by far Broz' best Bond film.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    @Gunbarrels007 ,
    Very cool to see the laser transfer. The color timing in the earlier laser was pretty much the same as the VHS. I had the VHS in widescreen and pan and scan and watched them both dozens of times. I also saw GE in the cinema around 12 times as well
    I personally prefer the colors on the laser as opposed to the Lowery remaster of 2006. Slightly brighter than the cinema prints (especially the gun barrel blood). But far truer in tint and hue to the way the film looked on screen.
    I have yet to get the Blu ray. I wonder, of all formats, which might be the definitive transfer of GoldenEye?
    I also agree with the Laserdisc version.
    By the way I'm pretty curious how that widescreen VHS version looks.
    Is it framed the same as the dvd or cropped?
    Do you still have it and could you rip it?
    Lostion wrote: »
    Thank you very much! I always love that non HD Quality :D its like the good old VHS Times :)

High Definition in the home was first found on VHS, it was called D-VHS.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 4,325
    @Gunbarrels007 ,

I truly don't think there's yet been a perfect home video transfer of GE. The Ultimate Edition was cropped on all sides, and even the Blu Ray is slightly cropped on the sides at an approx. aspect ratio of 2.35:1 rather than 2.39:1. Play CR straight after (or any of the Craig films) and you'll see what I mean, they're presented slightly wider. The Blu Ray has lots of digital enhancement issues which has wiped away a lot of the film grain, losing detail in the process.
    I am pretty sure the Laserdiscs have higher quality audio tracks than the DVDs. TLD and OHMSS certainly do.
    @Gunbarrels007 ,
    I also agree with the Laserdisc version.
    By the way I'm pretty curious how that widescreen VHS version looks.
    Is it framed the same as the dvd or cropped?
    Do you still have it and could you rip it?

I don't have it anymore unfortunately. It was pretty much the same as the early DVD. Similar farming to the SE.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    @Gunbarrels007 ,

I truly don't think there's yet been a perfect home video transfer of GE. The Ultimate Edition was cropped on all sides, and even the Blu Ray is slightly cropped on the sides at an approx. aspect ratio of 2.35:1 rather than 2.39:1. Play CR straight after (or any of the Craig films) and you'll see what I mean, they're presented slightly wider. The Blu Ray has lots of digital enhancement issues which has wiped away a lot of the film grain, losing detail in the process.
    What I remember from the original dvd release and always bothered me is that it was cropped too. In the scene where Bond is taking pictures of Xenia and the Admiral you can see the text ''Ansmitting'' on the left side instead of ''Transmitting'' which the Blu Ray fixed. Bizarrely right after the scene where Xenia/Admiral scene on the yacht the whole left side is copped again on the Blu Ray for the entire movie which is weird.

Orignal SE DVD:

f3owrDb.png

Blu Ray:

7s6baZN.png
    Milovy wrote: »
    I am pretty sure the Laserdiscs have higher quality audio tracks than the DVDs. TLD and OHMSS certainly do.

Generally speaking laserdiscs have better audio quality than their DVD counterparts.
    @Gunbarrels007 ,

What I remember from the original dvd release and always bothered me is that it was cropped too. In the scene where Bond is taking pictures of Xenia and the Admiral you can see the text ''Ansmitting'' on the left side instead of ''Transmitting'' which the Blu Ray fixed. Bizarrely right after the scene where Xenia/Admiral scene on the yacht the whole left side is copped again on the Blu Ray for the entire movie which is weird.

Orignal SE DVD:

f3owrDb.png

Blu Ray:

7s6baZN.png

Yes you are right, the Blu Ray has more width than the SE DVD. You can notice it on the title sequence too. Although the Blu Ray is still missing a sliver of information on both sides of the frame.
    @Gunbarrels007 ,

Orignal SE DVD:

f3owrDb.png

Blu Ray:

7s6baZN.png

Yes you are right, the Blu Ray has more width than the SE DVD. You can notice it on the title sequence too. Although the Blu Ray is still missing a sliver of information on both sides of the frame.

I'm very curious about that 4k version of Goldeneye that is now in theatres. I hope that it gets released soon. I've done numerous comparisons between the Blu Ray and the teaser/theatrical trailers on youtube and noticed there's much more picture information there than shown on any other release of the film.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    @Gunbarrels007 ,

Orignal SE DVD:

f3owrDb.png

Blu Ray:

7s6baZN.png

I'm very curious about that 4k version of Goldeneye that is now in theatres. I hope that it gets released soon. I've done numerous comparisons between the Blu Ray and the teaser/theatrical trailers on youtube and noticed there's much more picture information there than shown on any other release of the film.
    Where is Goldeneye back in theatres?

@Gunbarrels007 ,

Orignal SE DVD:

f3owrDb.png

Blu Ray:

7s6baZN.png

I'm very curious about that 4k version of Goldeneye that screened in theatres. I hope that it gets released soon. I've done numerous comparisons between the Blu Ray and the teaser/theatrical trailers on youtube and noticed there's much more picture information there than shown on any other release of the film.
    Where is Goldeneye back in theatres?
    Read more here: http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/11652/vue-cinemas-bond-double-bills
    It's from 2015 they were screening Bond movies in 4k at vue cinemas.
    I've been very disappointed with the colour timing the Lowry remaster did and keep hoping it will be redone. It is one of the worst looking movies in the set!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    @Gunbarrels007 ,

Orignal SE DVD:

f3owrDb.png

Blu Ray:

7s6baZN.png

Really? They cropped the Blu-ray? I never knew that.
    @Gunbarrels007 ,

Orignal SE DVD:

f3owrDb.png

Blu Ray:

7s6baZN.png

Really? They cropped the Blu-ray? I never knew that.

Yes. I have a projector with an 118" image. CR is presented in its full 2.40:1 aspect ratio, when viewed on a 2.35:1 screen this still has tiny letterboxing borders. The GE Blu ray is presented in 2.35:1 rather than its cinematic 2.40:1 equivalent - thereby completely filling a 2.35:1 screen - the missing info is slight in that framing, although as has been mentioned there is still some cropping going on on the left of the frame.

Also, make sure your TV isn't overscanning to get all the info that is presented on the disc.