You can't say that... (Bond and social values of the time)

gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
in Bond Movies Posts: 153
For a series running since 1962 and based on a character conceived in the 1950s, the Bond films have existed through various different social and political eras. We all may cringe at the Jamaican dialogue in Fleming's novel Live And Let Die. The British censors recently squirmed at the portrayal of gay hitmen Wint & Kidd and raised more than an eyebrow when Bond invited a lady to get something off her chest - they raised the rating of DAF from PG to 12.
What lines, scenes, plots or other content from the Bond movies do not stand up to modern standards?
For me, the "man talk" line and bum slap in GF is particularly dated.
Seeing him smoke is also a problem - forgivable in the 60s but by the time of DAD's cigar chomping they should have known better.
In the European cut of OHMSS we see Bond enjoying Playboy magazine from all angles - they would never show that today!
And would Bond refer to "keeping you in curry for a while" if he returned to India today?
If Electra was going bonkers after a mini-avalanche with Connery's Bond, would he have reassured her by saying "look into my eyes"? Or would he have given her a good hard slap to bring her to her senses?
Lets have a heated debate!

Comments

• edited February 2017 Posts: 6,844
    gumbolt wrote:
    Seeing him smoke is also a problem - forgivable in the 60s but by the time of DAD's cigar chomping they should have known better.

I know tobacco is being more and more frowned upon in general, but I believe cigars may still exist in a separate category as a kind of celebratory, every-so-often thing. Enjoying a cigar on special occasions does not necessarily make one a smoker. At the time of DAD, I don't believe Bond's smoking a cigar was viewed as controversial. Plus Bond states something to the effect of the cigar's slow-burning tobacco being "particularly hazardous to one's health." So it came with an in-film warning label.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I have absolutly no probelm with bond and his opinons becuase they dont upset me at all. Theirs nothing wrong with moores curry line. Indians do eat curry. Man talk is bad and outdated but again it just doesnt bother me and if they ever returned to the 60's or even 50's with the films I would like to see these things again
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    My views, in a nutshell are as follows:
    gumbolt wrote:
    For me, the "man talk" line and bum slap in GF is particularly dated.
    It doesn't bother me, and to a degree it has been brought back into public consciousness with certain 'locker room talk' on a hot mic on a bus 12 years ago, which made headlines last year.
    gumbolt wrote:
    I wouldn't want him to have a cigarette in his mouth constantly, but if he smokes in a particular scene in a film, I wouldn't care. People smoke.
    gumbolt wrote:
    In the European cut of OHMSS we see Bond enjoying Playboy magazine from all angles - they would never show that today!
    I wish they did. Guys look at these mags from time to time.
    gumbolt wrote:
    And would Bond refer to "keeping you in curry for a while" if he returned to India today?
    Yes, they probably wouldn't do that now. Shame. People over there eat curry. It's rather good.
    gumbolt wrote:
    If Electra was going bonkers after a mini-avalanche with Connery's Bond, would he have reassured her by saying "look into my eyes"? Or would he have given her a good hard slap to bring her to her senses?
    I wish he had slapped her to be honest, just to shut her up and make her focus.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    To Quarrel: 'Fetch my shoes.'

Not 'Oh, Quarrel, will you please pick up my shoes?'
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,187
    bondjames wrote: »

gumbolt wrote:
    Yes, they probably wouldn't do that now. Shame. People over there eat curry. It's rather good.
    A bit ridiculous, what do you think they eat? Taco bowls?
    bondjames wrote: »

gumbolt wrote:
    I wouldn't want him to have a cigarette in his mouth constantly, but if he smokes in a particular scene in a film, I wouldn't care. People smoke.
    I think he gets a bit of a pass, what with being in Havana and being tortured with scorpions for over a year in North Korea.

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Maybe bond needs to go back to the 50'd just to be in politically correct