Testing a plot concept - Bond in prison?

in Fan Creations Posts: 4,599
Just running through some interesting ideas for my next screenplay and, as usual, its the balance between something fresh and something that breaks out of the Bond frame of reference etc.

What if Bond was desperate to infiltrate SP so, he leaks some medium level briefing documents to a Julian Assange (it would have to contain something that would explain Bond's act of treachery, selling cluster bombs for example?) type character. He is caught red handed and, in a secret court, sentenced to 2 years in prison, reduced to 4 months on the basis of his previous service ( and obvioulsy sacked from the service). After the initial fights etc, after 2 months or so, he is approached by a SP rep with a offer to come over and work for them. He eventually accepts the offer and gains access to SP , ( proving his allegience via an assasination assignment which is later revealed to be fake).

The end/climax involves the reveal that the whole leak was a plan between Bond and M to convince SP that he had "turned" and to earn some level of trust.

Any thoughts? Could the audience ever believe that Bond would do such a thing or is it just so unbelievalble that the reveal would be useless as the audience simply could not "buy in" to the idea

Comments

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    It would be a believable story for a standard thriller film, but very difficult to make it credible for audiences that the fundamental nature of Bond had changed. They'd only be waiting for the not too surprising reveal.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    would be good if they reveal at beginning is a set up
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Interesting idea. Bond being out of service on SF and outside the service on QS and SO kind of takes the wind out of your concept but I still find the idea catching.

Thanks for sharing.
    I do like a good twist at the end so the reveal at the beginning is a little wastful , I am fully aware that it pushes its luck as an idea
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I wouldn't want a Julian Assange or any real life political figure to fulfill one side's hunger for wrath in a Bond film. Catching idea but I would do it more unusual than just a simple prison. Has anyone seen The Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan?
    I said type figure, no real life characters
    That's been done - 24 Season 3.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Kind of a Licence to Kill vibe to that in a way, but it's certainly an interesting enough concept.