SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

• edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Murdock wrote:
    Blofeld was Connery's villain.

Lazenby too ;) And besides, the DB5 was Connerys car, hasn't stopped them from bringing it back 4 times after.

I'd like to see a reimagined Blofeld and I can see them bringing him back.
  • GSSGSS
    edited November 2012 Posts: 14
    Murdock wrote:
    Why does it have to be Blofeld? Why can't it be a new and more original villain? Blofeld had his chance. Reboot or not, EoN's not going to remake or reuse old villains. It's a step down really. Blofeld was Connery's villain. Bald guys stroking cats is a thing of the past and besides Blofeld inspired Dr. Evil. Younger people won't get it and only think Bond was ripping off Austin Powers now. We don't need to rehash old villains. But that's not to say EoN can't create a Blofeldesque villain. and no offence but today's generation of movie goers would laugh at a name like Blofeld. He was a 60's villain and seeing as he was used in 007 Legends, It's most likely he won't be appearing in Bond movies again fortunately.

Totally agree with this, especially the point about newer audiences associating Blofeld with the Austin Powers films which would really undermine a serious 007 movie (even if they try to update the character the name will still make the link). No, I think that Ernst Stavro Blofeld should remain in the past.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 176
    GSS wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Why does it have to be Blofeld? Why can't it be a new and more original villain? Blofeld had his chance. Reboot or not, EoN's not going to remake or reuse old villains. It's a step down really. Blofeld was Connery's villain. Bald guys stroking cats is a thing of the past and besides Blofeld inspired Dr. Evil. Younger people won't get it and only think Bond was ripping off Austin Powers now. We don't need to rehash old villains. But that's not to say EoN can't create a Blofeldesque villain. and no offence but today's generation of movie goers would laugh at a name like Blofeld. He was a 60's villain and seeing as he was used in 007 Legends, It's most likely he won't be appearing in Bond movies again fortunately.

Totally agree with this, especially the point about newer audiences associating Blofeld with the Austin Powers films which would really undermine a serious 007 movie. No, I think that Ernst Stavro Blofeld should remain in the past I think.

But is a young audience going to know that Dr. Evil was inspired by Blofeld? Also, Blofeld doesn't have to be bald, short, or have a pet of any kind. In fact, it's better that he's Blofeld in name only. But the numerous Sherlock Holmes have each had their own Morariaty's so I don't see why a modern audience can't have Blofeld.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I could settle for Doc Shatterhand. that was a cool Fleming name.
    marymoss wrote:
    But is a young audience going to know that Dr. Evil was inspired by Blofeld? Also, Blofeld doesn't have to be bald, short, or have a pet of any kind. In fact, it's better that he's Blofeld in name only. But the numerous Sherlock Holmes have each had their own Morariaty's so I don't see why a modern audience can't have Blofeld.
    I agree. Isn't Austin Powers and Dr Evil also a little passé for the younger crowd of today who won't get the connection as @marymoss points out? Besides, Max von Sydow showed that it can be played without the bald head and prosthetics so why do people keep banging on about 2 of the earliest portrayals when there's more to choose from?
    edited November 2012 Posts: 16,331
    Max Von Sydow's Blofeld was hardly threatening. He just spouted exposition of Largo's plan. Blofeld wasn't even threatening at all except for Telly Savalas's version. Why do you want Blofeld back anyway? What is wrong with bringing in a fresh new villain instead of the same old outdated Megalomaniac?
  • I love the Bond villain Blofeld but he was at his most powerful and intriguing when he was unseen in FRWL, TB and a portion of YOLT. I think an unseen Blofeld or similar could work for Bond 24 if they don't revisit Quantum?
  • I love the Bond villain Blofeld but he was at his most powerful and intriguing when he was unseen in FRWL, TB and a portion of YOLT. I think an unseen Blofeld or similar could work for Bond 24 if they don't revisit Quantum?

That could work for QUANTUM short of the cliche. Other than Savalas' version, both Pleasance and Gray were very disappointing. The whole bald head, white cat, Nehru jacket has been forever skewered and Blofeld would have to be re-imagined.

Anyone else think Tim Curry would be brilliant as the top man?

Tim Curry would be an excellent villain. Maybe like a corrupt politician with dangerous connections and a nice group of memorable henchmen working as Head of Quantum.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    As some other people remarked, Blofekd and his white pussy (cat) have been parodied by Mike Myers and also in the PTS of FYEO...
    I doubt we'll be seeing Blofeld again...

"The thing is Blofeld was fantastic for the time but I think it’s about creating characters that are, villains that are more appropriate for the contemporary world. It’s more exciting for us to create somebody new."

- Barbara Broccoli

http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/199687-the-spoiler-interview-barbara-broccoli-and-michael-g-wilson-on-skyfall
  • Agent005 wrote:
    I doubt we'll be seeing Blofeld again...

"The thing is Blofeld was fantastic for the time but I think it’s about creating characters that are, villains that are more appropriate for the contemporary world. It’s more exciting for us to create somebody new."

- Barbara Broccoli

http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/199687-the-spoiler-interview-barbara-broccoli-and-michael-g-wilson-on-skyfall

There's our answer then.
  • I could see a young Blofeld killing everyone in a room then picking up a lovely white kitten
  • DB5DB5
    Absolutely not! Six films was more than enough (if you include FRWL, TB and the PTS of FYEO). Besides, lest you forget Blofeld was killed, at least twice (DAF and FYEO)!
  • I agree that Blofeld as he was portrayed in the 60’s is unusable. He has become a caricature of himself in modern culture and it would be stupid to insert that character into a film today. However, they can still make him work if they portray the character as he appeared in the books, without a scar, without a white cat, and with cru-cut hair. You wouldn’t even know it was the same character except for the name, and their place at the center of Quantum/Specter. Just imagine…

Bond 24 begins with M announcing to Bond that MI6 is attempting to shed greater light on Quantum and its dealings as there have been several unexplained events over the past few years for which they seem increasingly responsible for. While shadowing a suspected Quantum asset Bond discovers that they are planning to carry out an act of international terrorism. After thwarting the deadly plan, Bond discovers a faint connection between the asset and a suicide clinic just outside Zurich, the head of which is none other than a one: Dr. Gunter Shatterhand.

M dispatches Bond to the Swiss Alps to pay a visit to Dr. Shatterhand's clinic under the guise of an EU health examiner to see if the connection has any grounds. During their meeting the two will tour the clinic, designed to look like an indoor garden, where they will have an interesting discussion about mortality and the will to live. In this conversation Bond will let-slip to Shatterhand several hints that he suspects a connection between the clinic and the attempted terrorist plot. Shortly after the meeting, Shatterhand, who already recognized Bond from a photo of his previous run-ins with Quantum, will order his guards to kill Bond. The resultant conflict will culminate in a car chase through the Alps, from which Bond will make a narrow escape.

From there Bond will be forced to track Shatterhand to Quantum’s base of operations and thwart an even bigger plan which they have already put into place. Bond will be captured and brought to Shatterhand where he will formally re-introduce himself to Bond as Ernst Stavro Blofeld. He will inform Bond how it was in fact he who was behind the deaths of Vesper and Mathis, and how he wished he could have taken credit for M’s death as well. Bond will end up spoiling whatever diabolical plan Blofeld has in store, and will set about taking personal revenge on Blofeld by cornering him in the aftermath. The two will engage in a vicious hand-to-hand fight to the death involving two katana’s from a samurai display in Blofeld’s personal office. During the battle, Bond will nearly kill Blofeld when he slashes his sword diagonally across Blofeld's right eye, hence the iconic scar. Shortly after this however, Blofeld will manage to escape, setting up a continued hunt for him in Bond 25.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 2,189
    Thoughts anyone on my idea for Bond 24?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Blofeld returned to the series (now that Eon own the rights to the character) and faster than many would think.

Then again, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he didn't... ;)
  • As my username strongly implies I am 100% in favour of having Blofeld and SPECTRE return to the series. As the OP stated Blofeld would fit in even more these days than he did back in the late 60's/ early 70's in which he was portrayed. In this day and age when you have groups of people commiting all sorts of terrorist acts whether they be physical, cyber, etc. it only makes sense to bring him back. Furthermore I think it would be great to make Blofeld return considering he is Bond's archnemesis. After all Batman has The Joker, Superman has Lex Luthor, so on so forth so I think it would be great for a reoccuring archnemesis to return to the series.
    Bring back Quantum, with much better villains and use unused names from the Fleming books. Also an unused title for the movie too!
    While I don't disagree with the idea of Blofeld being viable, I don't think it will happen either. I wouldn't hate it if it did happen but he's had his chance and they are moving forward with new things now, new villains, new adventures, new Bond, new everything. They are doing fine with their own thing now while keeping Bond being the Bond we know. They have to be careful and not slip back into the Brosnan Syndrome of formulaic cliché/parody. Blofeld smacks of this, sorry.
  • I'm not necessarily against the idea of re-introducing Blofeld into the Bond films, but I personally think Colonel Sun would be a great villain for the times. Given the rise of the Chinese around the globe, and the very current issue of torture and its use in pursuit of national objectives, I think he could really play well in movie today.
    I'm not necessarily against the idea of re-introducing Blofeld into the Bond films, but I personally think Colonel Sun would be a great villain for the times. Given the rise of the Chinese around the globe, and the very current issue of torture and its use in pursuit of national objectives, I think he could really play well in movie today.

Great suggestion there! A member of Quantum would work well there too. Though i am guessing trying to sell the movie in China would be a potential issue?
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    Great suggestion there! A member of Quantum would work well there too. Though i am guessing trying to sell the movie in China would be a potential issue?
    It could be an issue, but of course Sun could be represented as simply being a member of an organization like Quantum, not affiliated with the Chinese government or working against their interests.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 3,333
    Murdock wrote:
    Max Von Sydow's Blofeld was hardly threatening. He just spouted exposition of Largo's plan. Blofeld wasn't even threatening at all except for Telly Savalas' version. Why do you want Blofeld back anyway? What is wrong with bringing in a fresh new villain instead of the same old outdated Megalomaniac?
    I was giving you a different take on the character rather than the Dr Evil one you align the character with. Whether you found Max Von Sydow's Blofeld threatening is irrelevant. Personally, I don't find any of the villains threatening or menacing, certainly not out of the modern era. Does that mean we should dispense with villains all together then because I don't find any of them threatening?

You ask what is wrong in bringing in fresh new villains? Well, this is precisely what's been occurring for the past 16 movies with widely varied results, so you have the answer to your very own question right there. Some might disagree with the notion of how "fresh" some of those villains actually were though as quite a few seemed to be just recycled with a different name and face!

Plus, see @sirseanisbond's first post for a full explanation as to why Blofeld should return.
  • bondsum wrote:
    I was giving you a different take on the character rather than the Dr Evil one you align the character with. Whether you found Max Von Sydow's Blofeld threatening is irrelevant. Personally, I don't find any of the villains threatening or menacing, certainly not out of the modern era. Does that mean we should dispense with villains all together then because I don't find any of them threatening?
    Your point is, I think, well taken. Blofeld became as much a caricature as James Bond did there for a while. But, like Bond has been re-invigorated with a return to something closer to what he was in Fleming's books, I think the same could be done for Blofeld. Certainly the Blofeld of the books makes for a worthy opponent for Bond.

• It would have to be a very different representation....maybe no retro grey suits or volcano layers ...I think Dr Evil put an end to that idea...maybe look to the books more.
  • I would love to see him unseen again...just a voice stroking a cat.
  • bgh1968 wrote:
    I would love to see him unseen again...just a voice stroking a cat.

Whereas I think getting rid of things like the cat would be nothing but a good thing.

bgh1968 wrote:
    I would love to see him unseen again...just a voice stroking a cat.

No, that would seem hokey. Besides, how can there be closure on the character if he's not seen. That means he can never get caught. He'd just be an unseen villain who Bond can never defeat.

• The reason I like the cat is that ...blofeld is doing something sweet,whilst doing vile and horrible things...if shot well I think that would be creepy