Die Another Day Better Titled You Only Live Twice?

edited November 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 5,745
Bond 23 is picking up the spotlight as of late. Many websites are posting articles on the Bond franchise in anticipation for the 23rd outing of Bond.

As you all should know now, I'm a big follower of Empire Magazine, and it just so happens that today they posted "A Brief History of Bond Titles" on the very front page of their website.

Here's the link:
http://www.empireonline.com/features/brief-history-of-bond-film-titles/p1

I learned quite a bit from it. It is indeed brief, but I didn't know LICENSE TO KILL was varied from LICENSE REVOKED due to similarities with a book. However, some of the others are more obvious.

But take a look at page 6, they propose an interesting argument to Brosnan's reaction when he realizes Graves is actually the Korean Moon character.

The final unveiling that Graves is in fact Moon, Bond says "So you live to die another day." where a more fitting response would be "Well I guess you only live twice."

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I didn't know LICENSE TO KILL was varied from LICENSE REVOKED due to similarities with a book.
    It was actually due to Americans failing to understand what 'revoked' meant.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yes, it is mentioned in several media, including the 'inside' documentary on the LTK DVD, that License Revoked was turned into License To Kill. And then there's still the matter of the 's' or 'c', depending on the market (UK or USA), in the word 'licence'.

Interesting article I must say. I'm very curious to learn the real title of Bond 23...
    Did nobobdy check out page 6...

They claim that YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE would be a more fitting title than (live to) DIE ANOTHER DAY in the movie.

The final unveiling that Graves is in fact Moon, Bond says "So you live to die another day." where a more fitting response would be "Well I guess you only live twice."

I quite like that actually, but DAD (or YOLT2) would still be a load of crap.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I would have actually liked it more if Bond would have said the "You Only Live Twice" line instead of "So you live to die another day." It would have been an awesome nod to the old movie.
    I would have actually liked it more if Bond would have said the "You Only Live Twice" line instead of "So you live to die another day." It would have been an awesome nod to the old movie.
    Nuff said. Nuff said.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Nuff said. Nuff said.
    Something along the lines of "You know what they say about the man that runs away" from Bond would have been even better in my opinion.

I would link to the title without it even being said in the film.
    I think if Fleming had lived he would of wrote a book with the name Die Another Day, as it was a quote of his.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Nuff said. Nuff said.
    Something along the lines of "You know what they say about the man that runs away" from Bond would have been even better in my opinion.

I prefer the way they worked the title into DAD than in TWINE (which was really clunky--not to mention that "TWINE" seemed to refer to Elektra, not Bond, in the film, in both the title song and her skiing comment about "the world").
    An even more fitting title would have been, "Diamonds only live twice" ;-) .
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Or how about:

"Before setting off on revenge, you first dig two graves, uh, Graves."
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 12,837
    since DAD seemed to be jam packed with previous bond references, a more fitting response for that film would be "so you dr no, from russia with love, goldfinger, thunderball.......

but seriously i think that would've made a better title. but then what would YOLT be called???
  • I would have actually liked it more if Bond would have said the "You Only Live Twice" line instead of "So you live to die another day." It would have been an awesome nod to the old movie.
    Nuff said. Nuff said.

I prefer the way they worked the title into DAD than in TWINE (which was really clunky--not to mention that "TWINE" seemed to refer to Elektra, not Bond, in the film, in both the title song and her skiing comment about "the world").
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    lol that scene from Family Guy came into my head too!
  • I hated how the DAD title was crowbarred into the film, and Brosnan's delivery didn't make it any better. You Only Live Twice was done tactfully, tied in with the song better and was well delivered by Blofeld :)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2011 Posts: 5,979
    Worse than TWINE? :)

Brosnan really did get the worst scripts.

Frankly, I'm surprised (and relieved) we didn't get the following exchange:

"Tomorrow never dies, Mr. Bond."

"Yes, but you do."
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Call garbage by a different name and it is still garbage at the end of the day.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Call garbage by a different name and it is still garbage at the end of the day.
    CR and QOS yes. But DAD is far from garbage.