The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Szonana wrote: »
    Call me crazy but i have a conspiracy theory that Barbara Broccoli is paying lots of money to everyone to make Cavil's projects fail so she can get him as the next Bond.

So she can be sure no one will know about Cavil before he plays Bond hehe.
    But its just a crazy idea don't listen to me much

Not that crazy
    ;)

BB is known to get it her way, no matter what. So who knows... :O)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Szonana, I'm sure that's correct, seeing as 'Man of Steel' made $668 million, 'Batman v Superman' and the two 'Justice League' movies will make even more, and 'Immortals' earned $226 million off of a $75 million budget. You have to realize, Cavill hasn't done that many projects in these last few years, so not counting direct-to-DVD releases, 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E.' is the only one that could possibly be a bomb, but even still, it only has to make around $100 million+ to make money and possibly warrant a sequel.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Call me crazy but i have a conspiracy theory that Barbara Broccoli is paying lots of money to everyone to make Cavil's projects fail so she can get him as the next Bond.

Not that crazy
    ;)

BB is known to get it her way, no matter what. So who knows... :O)

Well but its too obvious no, Paying to studios so the film could fail at the box office and then make ready to play Bond ?

But yes we are talking about BB not any regular woman. So yes whatbshe wants she gets it

Since my point was ignored, what studio failures of Cavill's do you speak of?
  • What an absolute stinker this is:
    Zero plot, terrible script, badly acted by a couple of wooden tops, embarrassing direction, awful male wardrobe, lousy music.
    Apart from the aforementioned it was OK.
    What a huge disappointment for all U.N.C.L.E fans !
    But wasn't Superman regarded as failure? They hoped for the billion.

As for immortals, sure it probably was financially successful but didn't do anything for Cavill's career.

UNCLE is his most important movie so far, if it fails at the BO then his career will rely solely on the success of Batsy vs Supes.
    @BondJasonBond006, if you consider tripling your budget amount at the box office a failure, then yes, it was a failure. "They hoped for the billion" doesn't mean a thing, because what studio doesn't hope for their film(s) to reach $1 billion?

As for 'Immortals,' @Szonana was talking about his films bombing, not what it did or didn't do for his career, so that's irrelevant.

This movie may be his most important because it's his first standalone, non-Superman movie since he became really big. So far, though, it's not shaping up to be a hit.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,130
    on imdb i read that Ben Affleck is getting the bigger part so I'm having the feeling that someone is trying Cavill to not explode yet so can play Bond
    edited August 2015 Posts: 40,615
    You are aware that IMDB has nothing to do with box office success, right? Ben Affleck is getting a bigger part for what, exactly? He's playing Batman, and Cavill is playing Superman in a film where they'll face off. Sounds pretty 50/50 to me. Affleck only has more lined up because they want to do a new Batman trilogy. Besides, 'Batman v Superman' is technically a 'Man of Steel' sequel, so if anything, Affleck is co-starring in Cavill's film.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I saw the film yesterday here in Barcelona at 5:40 PM no less, straight after work. I was quite surprised how many people were seeing this film at this time. We came in quite late....and we really had to look for a good place.

So I think.....we should not write this movie off so easily box office wise. Especially when reading this article:
    http://deadline.com/2015/08/man-from-uncle-overseas-box-office-warner-bros-1201499808/

It seems in Russia "U.N.C.L.E." is a bigger hit that "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" on opening day.....thus far. Also in the UK and Australia the film performs well.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    on imdb i read that Ben Affleck is getting the bigger part so I'm having the feeling that someone is trying Cavill to not explode yet so can play Bond

How old are you?
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    doubleoego wrote: »

How old are you?

No kidding. Looks like you've still got a lot of growing up to do.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 709

You do realize that Cavill is playing one of the most recognized and iconic pop culture heroes of all time? (And it isn't James Bond ;) )

If Barbara Broccoli wanted to hire Henry Cavill as Bond, she could and would have done so in 2005. Why would she be investing millions in a 'failed' actor, especially one who is currently being pretty much rejected/ignored by audiences when he's playing a spy?

How old are you?

LOL. Some of the conspiracy theories/levels of denial in here are hilarious. Henry Cavill will not be playing Bond (barring a side project like audiobook etc). He already plays Superman which he'll be busy with for several movies over the next decade, and EON is not taking sloppy seconds from any other competing franchise. Enjoy The Man from UNCLE, because that's the only time you're going to see Henry play an Ian Fleming created spy.

Anyway, I saw it yesterday, and it was...alright. The two leads were fine, some of the humor was a bit flat, but the blonde ice queen character was just...not good. Eh, seen better, seen worse.

Is she paying for the bad reviews which say what a dull lead he is? After all this she'd be mad to put the Bond franchise in his hands.

You are mean.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    @BondJasonBond006, if you consider tripling your budget amount at the box office a failure, then yes, it was a failure. "They hoped for the billion" doesn't mean a thing, because what studio doesn't hope for their film(s) to reach $1 billion?

As for 'Immortals,' @Szonana was talking about his films bombing, not what it did or didn't do for his career, so that's irrelevant.

This movie may be his most important because it's his first standalone, non-Superman movie since he became really big. So far, though, it's not shaping up to be a hit.

Failure is the wrong term. I should have said disappointment.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    dinovelvet wrote: »

You do realize that Cavill is playing one of the most recognized and iconic pop culture heroes of all time? (And it isn't James Bond ;) )

If Barbara Broccoli wanted to hire Henry Cavill as Bond, she could and would have done so in 2005. Why would she be investing millions in a 'failed' actor, especially one who is currently being pretty much rejected/ignored by audiences when he's playing a spy?

How old are you?

LOL. Some of the conspiracy theories/levels of denial in here are hilarious. Henry Cavill will not be playing Bond (barring a side project like audiobook etc). He already plays Superman which he'll be busy with for several movies over the next decade, and EON is not taking sloppy seconds from any other competing franchise. Enjoy The Man from UNCLE, because that's the only time you're going to see Henry play an Ian Fleming created spy.

Anyway, I saw it yesterday, and it was...alright. The two leads were fine, some of the humor was a bit flat, but the blonde ice queen character was just...not good. Eh, seen better, seen worse.

Henry was very close to get the part in 2005 but he didn't because he was too young ta that time and Bond always goes to previous second choices or the ones theybwere close to get in the past.

Timothy Dalton was a strong posibility in the 70s to replace Sean Connery and latter got the part in the 80s.
    Pierce was going to play Bond in the 80s but got his second chance in the 90s
    Daniel Craig was a strong posibility for the 90s and now he is our new James Bond.

So that keeps me thinking that Cavill still has a chance, maybe my conspiracy theory is flawed but here is another posibility.
    Maybe Eon will abandon their almost unknown actor to go for Henry Cavill or hey if its not Cavill i can imagine they will choose one of their possible picks they had in 2004.

Maybe someone we didn't know they had in mind but for some strange reason they always go back to who they considered once. All Our Bonds except Sean Connery were considered and rejected once to latter become Bond.

So if its not Cavill i dont think will be anyone from our wishlits, they will mostly go for someone who tasted when Daniel Craig got the part.

I loose hope once in a while and belive that Hnery Cavill lost his chances but box office disappointments i read and the Rumor that Superman is not doing as good as expected makes always me think there is another chance

edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139

You are mean.

Nope. I'm not.

If @Szonana has some sort of mental disibility then I apologise but I don't believe that to be the case.

Anyway, I just came back from UNCLE. It wasn't a great movie but neither was it terrible. I quite enjoyed it and hope it does get a sequel.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

You are mean.

Nope. I'm not.

If @Szonana has some sort of mental disibility then I apologise but I don't believe that to be the case.

Anyway, I just came back from UNCLE. It wasn't a great movie but neither was it terrible. I quite enjoyed it and hope it does get a sequel.

Well im not mentally disabled but english is not my first language so maybe for that reason some of my posts get miss interpreted.
    dont take it the wrong way but you could be a little less rude don't you think.? Or take things not that seriously.

My conspiracy theory was sort of a joke, yes i think Cavill might still have a small chance but i know its a very small one.

Yes i do think Barbara is a very persistent woman who gets what she wants and i admire her for that i guess she is the only woman in the movie industry who is as powerful as Steven Spielberg but i dont truly belive she will pay for getting Cavill in such a sneaky way.

Humour is not for everybody. Sarcasm even less.

@Szonana

I got that you didn't mean it dead serious :)

By the way, your English is good enough. And I'm glad that a woman is participating on such a forum, that's something not seen everyday.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Humour is not for everybody. Sarcasm even less.

@Szonana

I got that you didn't mean it dead serious :)

By the way, your English is good enough. And I'm glad that a woman is participating on such a forum, that's something not seen everyday.

Ohh you are so nice, one of the nicest people ive met on internet forums.
    And im glad you understand my english, if europeans understand what i say then i most be doing something right.

Im glad i had such a great english teacher in high school, now its when its trulypaying off

Firstly, Cavill won't ever be Bond. It's amazing how people, particularly Bond fans can't seem to grasp that. Cavill had his shot and lucked out back in '05. Secondly, Cavill is Superman; a character more iconic than Bond and EoN aren't going to cast an actor who's going to be Superman for multiple movies as James Bond. Thirdly, Barbara perpetuating negative press pertaining to Cavill is beyond absurd and citing imdb as a source for such nonsense is even more ridiculous. Lastly, jokes and sarcasm are very much appreciated; if they're good which you are yet to display.
    @BondJasonBond006, well my original statement still stands, if you see tripling your budget at the box office as a disappointment, then yes, it was a disappointment.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @BondJasonBond006, well my original statement still stands, if you see tripling your budget at the box office as a disappointment, then yes, it was a disappointment.

I'm not going to be nitpicking ;) of course MOS did well enough for everybody to be happy about.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    @Creasy47

on second thought, I am :)) I knew I did read about the disappointment or failure

Here is something to read from boxofficemojo:

The following is a brief analysis of Man of Steel's box-office performance on Box-Office Mojo:

"Man of Steel: Zack Snyder-directed Superman reboot Man of Steel set a June opening weekend record with an incredible $116.6 million ($128.7 million including Thursday night grosses). Unfortunately, lukewarm word-of-mouth caused the movie to collapse after opening weekend, and it will wind up earning less than $300 million at the domestic box office. Add in good overseas figures ($360 million and counting) and Man of Steel is absolutely going to turn a profit. Still, the much-publicized decision to add Batman to the Man of Steel sequel suggests that this wasn't the kind of runaway success that Warner Bros. was hoping for."

boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3724&p=.htm

moviepostercritic.blogspot.ch/2013/09/man-of-steel-660-million-box-office.html
    And for the third time now, where does that state that it was a failure? Sure, of course they'd be right to be disappointed if they were hoping for a $1 billion return, because as I stated earlier, what studio DOESN'T hope for that to happen? The article clearly states that the movie "is (did) absolutely going to turn a profit."
    Firstly, Cavill won't ever be Bond. It's amazing how people, particularly Bond fans can't seem to grasp that. Cavill had his shot and lucked out back in '05. Secondly, Cavill is Superman; a character more iconic than Bond and EoN aren't going to cast an actor who's going to be Superman for multiple movies as James Bond. Thirdly, Barbara perpetuating negative press pertaining to Cavill is beyond absurd and citing imdb as a source for such nonsense is even more ridiculous. Lastly, jokes and sarcasm are very much appreciated; if they're good which you are yet to display.

You know, just so this can be the absolute last word on Henry Cavill ever being Bond, let's just get all the reasons against it all out there in one post so it can be copied and pasted every time it comes up (which seems to be monthly).

The Official Guide To Why Henry Cavill Won't Be Playing James Bond.

1. Thanks to Man of Steel and its assorted sequels and spinoffs, Henry Cavill is an established big screen leading man. Eon has NEVER hired a Bond actor who already has a movie career like this. Look at the resumes of all six previous actors. Some film work, but none of them had headlined blockbuster movies and certainly none of them were leading other franchises.

2. EON wants to establish their own action hero, not borrow someone else's. If they were to hire Cavill, the headlines would be "Superman cast as Bond". Bond would be his second priority, after Superman. And that's a no-no. EON want their guy to be 100% recognized as James Bond wherever he goes, and offer something that can't be seen elsewhere, and that's now impossible with Cavill. People would be asking him questions about the next Superman as he's promoting Bond. It would overshadow the Bond role completely, and that cheapens the brand.

3. Studio headaches. Bond and Superman movies are huge shoots that come with massive worldwide promotional tours. Sony (or whoever) would have to negotiate with WB about when he would be available, and WB could simply say, nope, you can't have him for the next 8 months. Bond movie gets delayed. And then when they do start filming, WB could interject and say hey we need to do 2 weeks of reshoots, send him over right now.

4. He's already played James Bond, in everything but name. The Man from UNCLE is a blatant Bond-like role. So far it has received mediocre reviews and not very good box office. Why would they hire someone who failed to excite or interest audiences as an Ian Fleming created spy? We'd get an instant been there, done that vibe if EON were to hire him.

5. Money. Since he is already commanding leading roles in studio films, Henry has a certain price tag for his services. I don't know what it is, but certainly its several million. EON will not want to pay a movie star salary right off the bat when they can get an unknown talented actor for far less.

6. Overall 'blandness'. This is just personal opinion here, but I feel now after Man of Steel and UNCLE, I've seen what Henry Cavill has to offer. And he'd be a competent, acceptable, OK Bond. Wouldn't ruffle any feathers. But who wants that anymore? It would essentially be treading water. I want an exciting, intriguing, interesting Bond. Daniel Craig has blown the doors wide open for outside-the-box choices, so let's have someone who can take things in a new, dynamic direction. Giving fans what they want is just creatively stagnant. Frankly, if the casting of the next Bond pisses people off, then EON have done the right thing :)
    Henry Cavill

Dan Stevens
    Henry Cavill

Dan Stevens

:-bd