The Great James Bond Double Feature Excercise

2»

Comments

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Well his comeuppance is certainly more satisfying than any of the Blofeld defeats we've seen to date (DAF and FYEO in particular).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You would need to overlook a few scenes, though.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I do like doing these things. I say that the obvious connection is GOLDFINGER. Third for the actor, unrelated villain (at the time, thankfully). The first of it's run to really explode at the box office.

That's a good choice. Goldfinger captured the public spirit, in the same vein as Skyfall. I was thinking following SF with TMTWGG - the literary Scaramanga dressed flamboyantly and had maybe a crush on 007, same with Silva.
    @royale65, some interesting pairings for Bond films (in my mind):

From Russia with Love & The Living Daylights

I put these two together because I think TLD is very much a film constructed in tribute to FRWL. They both have a naive and innocent Bond girl caught between the good and bad side who is used by those we trusts, part of the plot involves crossing into Cold War territory with a heavy Soviet presence, Necros is essentially Grant-Lite, and the villains of each are playing the Brits and Russia against one another under false pretenses,

Goldfinger & Diamonds Are Forever

For much the same reasons I chose to pair FRWL and TLD for what they shared, GF and DAF have a similar range of similarities as films.

It was clear that with DAF EON were scrambling to recapture the feeling and essence of GF following OHMSS. The proof is all there to see, from the choice to get Connery back as Bond (with a historically hefty price tag) to Guy Hamilton filling out the directing gig and Shirley Bassey returning as the songstress of the movie’s opening tune after her debut in GF. In addition, the team went about creating a script that is a bit more light-hearted and loose than expected in a plot that swaps out the smuggling of gold with that of diamonds, takes Bond back to America for the first time since 1964, and throws a leading Bond girl into the mix whose morals are cloudy until she joins up with the spy in the 11th hour just as Pussy Galore did in GF. If that's not enough, we're also familiar with the original plot of DAF, where Goldfinger's twin brother (also played by Gert Fröbe) would've appeared on the scene to kill Bond in revenge for what he did to Auric many films ago.

That is a good suggestion Brady old boy. I too see the similarities between FRWL and TLD, cut in the same cloth as it were, and between GF and DAF and their overt nature.

Maybe I'll do something like this -

@Birdleson 's suggestion of Goldfinger followed by Diamonds Are Forever

then

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 's suggestion of From Russia With Love followed by The Living Daylights.

Now then, can anyone think of a connection between DAF and FRWL?

I also think TSWLM and OP go really well together. No particular similarities, just that they're the best Roger Moore films imo, and would make a fun double bill if you wanted more than a couple of hours of him at his best.

That will be the end of the Bondathon then. What could be better than seeing Sir Rog at the height of his powers? ;)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FRWL-lesbian villainess
    DAF-gay hemchmen
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,984
    I would suggest From Russia With Love and Octopussy.

Both of them are Cold War thrillers with the travelogue feel, extensive train sequences and complex but not particularly unrealistic villain plots, as well as some great action sequences. And the Soviet Union isn't the enemy in either film but there's Russian villains all the same. They're quite similar; OP just gets a bit left-field with the comedy at times. And I believe some critics mentioned that OP recalled the tone of FRWL at times but spoiled it.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Ha! That'll do @Thunderfinger!