Article about Bond's plaid jacket in TMWTGG

edited October 2011 in News Posts: 1,370
Clothes on Film has some good articles on outfits (as opposed to costumes) in films and a few good ones on Bond films. Check out this one about TMWTGG:

http://clothesonfilm.com/roger-moore-plaid-jacket-in-the-man-with-the-golden-gun/14924/

While the pattern of the jacket itself is questionable, I think what is even more puzzling is why Bond would wear a (presumably) wool jacket to a tropical island...

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Ugh- seventies fashion... Let's be thankful it wasn't brown and orange.

I'm guessing Bond wanted to look 'good' for when he squares off with his 'rival'.
    Interesting read.

I now wonder if Bond maybe wore that jacket to confuse Scaramanga.

The opening of TDK comes to mind. "Like war paint, you know, to scare people."
  • My Dad used to love the way Moore dressed, but that outfit made him cringe. He wouldn't have been caught dead in that suit.

• I couldn't really find anything remotely demonic about it or standout, attire like this was common practice in the 1970s after all, Agent 007 has been seen in worse clothes during the 50 years of Bond or so, sometimes you would watch on screen and think that 'Bond needs a license to wear this shirt, not necessarily one to kill with'

I seem to remember Brosnan wearing some outrageous attire during the Cuba scenes in Die Another Day, or at least at some point during his tenure

Moore was simply dressed as what was seen regular for the time, it's only 35 years later that it becomes questionable or we can gain some humor from it
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2011 Posts: 4,399

I seem to remember Brosnan wearing some outrageous attire during the Cuba scenes in Die Another Day, or at least at some point during his tenure
    during the Cuba scenes in DAD - Bond really only wore a dark blue button down short sleeved shirt w/ black pants - and a light blue shirt, w/ white pants and a white jacket...

i don't remember him wearing anything crazy out of the ordinary in his films.... unless i am forgetting something..

- Connery however rocked that nice short pink tie in DAF ... ;-) ... not even he could fully pull that one off lol.
    Most the Bonds have been dressed to kill on occasion.
    Connery wore a plaid sports coat in one scene of DAF , if my memory serves me...
    What about that riduculous terry clothe powder blue outfit in GF?
    In the ski chase in TSWLM Roger is wearing a yellow suit while the KGB are all dressed in classic Black...??...
    Lazenby posing as Hilary Bray and that kilt...:)
    Looks like Dalton and Craig are the only ones who got it right... :)

• It must be the first time in cinematic history that an Australian was seen strolling about the screen wearing a kilt, was the Hilary Bray character supposed to be a Scot, as only true Scots actually wear nothing under their kilts (don't ask me how I know :"> ), and that was what Lazenby did in the picture if memory serves, or maybe George just found it easier to get undressed for the girls without additional attire, I don't know

And yes, Dalton was always correctly dressed for his two pictures from what I can remember, and yes, Moore had a awful yellow ski outfit for the Spy teaser, maybe it could of passed for 1977 but seems terribly outdated now