Your Vote Counts - Nominate 'most influential characters' in Bond series

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited October 2011 in MI6 Headlines & Feedback Posts: 1,380
We're looking to create a shortlist of the most influential characters in the James Bond film series so far.

You can think of it in a few ways - most influential on JB himself, the series, pop culture, later films, etc.

The leading lady and villain from each film are automatically in the Long List, so we're looking for nominations on the not-so-obvious... The girls, henchmen and allies that had an impact, but who weren't headliners.

Your help is appreciated! :)

Comments

• Aston Martin.
    Strawberry Fields.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Q, blofeld, jaws n oddjob

girls wise, jill from goldfinger.

Yep these seem most influential.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Obviously M, Q, Moneypenny and Felix.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Rene Matis. I am surprised it took EON until CR and QoS(then they dropped the ball when they killed him off)to add him in the mix. He is a character synonymous with 007 so why wait so long? I hope he will be utilized to his fullest next time there is a reboot. A younger Bond and a younger Mathis doing joint MI6 Deuxieme Bureau missions. I would love to see the both of them as a duo fighting together someday in a Bond film.
    Jill
    Jaws
    White Cat
    An international crime syndicate bound on the road of terror & destruction in order to a sunstantial monetary gain. (SPECTRE & Quantum)

The Gadgets

Beautifull women

The Gunbarrel opening each 007 flic is iconic.
    - The opening gun barrel sequence
    - The concept of a stylized 'title sequence'
    - The Connery Bond films pushed the limits of the amount of the sexual content and innuendo in films
    - The superior action scene
    - The fabulous stunts (especially the very iconic cliff jump in The Spy Who Loved Me, considered by many to be one of the best stunts of all time)

Not sure if that is what you are looking for....but there's my two cents.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Emilio Echevarría as Raoul, the manager of the Havana cigar factory I'e always liked, though hardly influential in any way.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 42
    For Henchman, I like Jaws (Richard Kiel) much, he's a good and sometimes reckless henchman. At least the presence of Jaws, give a little funny part for two Bond films he's in (The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker). For the villain, I like Max Zorin (Christopher Walken). He's portrayal as Bond villain really is the best and most menacing. For Bond Ally, I like Felix Leiter played by Jack Lord in Dr. No. He's trully CIA agent anyway, a cool, dark, and clever agent, suit for Bond's ally. For The Boss, M role played by Dame Judi Dench, is the best of all. She's strict enough to command Bond. Last, for the Bond Girl, I like Stephanie Broadchest (A.K.A Vesper Lynd) played by Eva Green. Her extrovert and dark side personality really suit for a Bond Girl, esp. for Daniel Craig Bond. Oh ya, Q (Desmond Llewelyn) always gets Lifetime Achievement Award for Quartermaster role.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Reminder,.. This is about

C H A R A C T E R S

Not icons of the series like Aston Martin's or gun barrels.
    BLOFELD.

Has nobody else really stated that yet?

Feels like a big one.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director

The leading lady and villain from each film are automatically in the Long List, so we're looking for nominations on the not-so-obvious...
  • Reminder,.. This is about

C H A R A C T E R S

Not icons of the series like Aston Martin's or gun barrels.
    Graham Greene always said his settings/environment in his novels were written as another character. The Aston, I would argue is another character, it's one of Bond's most trusted friends and is always there to help and helps tell the story of the film.

A quite influential character known the world over. So there. :p
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    - The opening gun barrel sequence
    - The concept of a stylized 'title sequence'
    - The Connery Bond films pushed the limits of the amount of the sexual content and innuendo in films
    - The superior action scene
    - The fabulous stunts (especially the very iconic cliff jump in The Spy Who Loved Me, considered by many to be one of the best stunts of all time)

Not sure if that is what you are looking for....but there's my two cents.
    Yes I really agree with all of these things! Also for more obvious "characters": Felix, M (esp. Judi's), Moneypenny, Q, two leading ladies in particular (even tho you said do not mention) Tracy (because of her influence on James B), Vesper (ditto), Jaws, Rene Matis, Oddjob, and I like the character played by Robbie Coltrane in TWINE (sorry I cannot remember the name!)
    @4EverBonded Robbie Coltrane Character in TWINE is Valentin Zukovsky. He's also good enough anyway, I like him :)
    The problem I'm having is I can't find any characters that have been influential to Bond in anyway, apart from the obvious.

No wonder help is wanted @JamesPage. This is quite difficult.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2011 Posts: 15,686
    J. W. Pepper
    Jack Wade
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Strangways could be one. His murder is first Bond investigates on screen. So influential in a sense.

Then going on a tangent, you could add the Three Blind Mice. They also happen to be the first people we see on screen.
  • Away from the obvious ones, maybe these?

Paris Carver
    Elektra
    Moneypenny
    Tiger Tanaka
    Zukovsky
    Chang (DAD)
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Oddjob as Goldfinger would be main villain
    Jill Masterton, being the Golden Girl
    Fiona Volpe
    Wint & Kidd
    Jaws
    Nic Nac
    May Day
    Felix Leiter
    M
    Moneypenny

The leading lady and villain from each film are automatically in the Long List, so we're looking for nominations on the not-so-obvious...
    * embarrassment*

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Blofeld
    Oddjob
    Felix Leiter
    M
    Q
    MP
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 546
    1.Ernest Stavro Blofeld
    2.Jaws
    3.Alec Trevelyn/006
    4.Oddjob
    5.M
    6.Moneypenny
    7.Q
    8.Felix Leiter
    9.Karl Strongberg
    10.Hugo Drax
    11.Scaramanga
    12.Emilo Largo
    13.Goodnight
    14.Boris Grishenko
    15.General Arkady Ourumov
    16.Valentin Dmitrovich Zukovsky
    17.Xenia Onatopp
    18.Paris Carver
    19.Natalya Simonova
    20.Elektra King
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Kerim, Mathis and Quarrel come immediately to mind.
  • Pussy Galore, Blofeld (Donald Pleasance), Jill Masterson, Donald Grant, Honey Ryder

Those were the first names that came to mind, of course all to do with the earliest releases and remembered into subsequent titles

More obscure names you could include would be Vesper Lynd, Francisco Scaramanga, Tracy Di Vicenzo, Rosa Klebb, and Octopussy

Could, or should of, named Leiter, Q and M for example but that's what I went with
    As far as major characters, the heavyweights as M, Tracy and Vesper.
  • Felix Leiter, M, Q, Moneypenny, Mathis, Red Grant, Jill Masterson (she's not a leading lady, right?), Oddjob, Valentin, (...).
  • I hope he will be utilized to his fullest next time there is a reboot.

I hope there never is another reboot.
    Broccoli, Saltzman, and Fleming! ^:)^
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2012 Posts: 4,416
    1. James Bond
    2. Q
    3. Moneypenny
    4. Goldfinger as in film and Oddjob
    5.Jaws
    6. M.

There always be some respect for M in discussion about Bond and same count for Q and Moneypenny. My feeling be Dench get credits.

If there talking about Bond and Goldfinger it always be Oddjob, Shirley Bassey and do you expect me to talk like GE is Famke Janssen, Pierce best and TLD is Jeroen Krabbé, DAF is Amsterdam.

With Skyfall Adele and Q get as expect the moost time in papers. Whyle i expect more Q be connect to Desmond this moost of the time don't happen and there talking more about Quatermaster where the name stay for, the follow up. With respect for Desmond and that be good. Possible mabey with help of Mgm/Sony or the young age of the new Q. Skyfall biggest succes is thanks to Adele and return of Q.