The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Chula mops the floor with Bond.
    Hip's nieces mop the floor with the entire karate school.
    JW Pepper on vacation in Thailand. Classic!
    Killing a few hours as one of your passing fancies isn't quite my scene.
    LOL!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    The Bond movies are known for doing memorable sequences on trains.......this ain't one of them!

I love Brosnan in that scene!

"You first. YOU...SECOND!!!" 😁

It does have two very annoying characters but I have a soft spot for it...😏
    The Bond movies are known for doing memorable sequences on trains.......this ain't one of them!

More than two mate!!! 😉
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

More than two mate!!! 😉

I'll give you Boris and Wade 😁

More than two mate!!! 😉

I'll give you Boris and Wade 😁

Thanks, you're a pal!
    (But I'll secretly despise all the rest!)
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,161
    I’m watching LTK right now, and I watched TLD the other night. I’m enjoying Dalton’s performances more than I have in a long time. I’m really digging what he did both nights here. I was very excited when he got the role, and thought he did a good job at the time, but was disappointed in the films themselves. I’ve learned to appreciate the films a little bit more, but he really deserved better. Both films captured the right tone at times, TLD with the espionage, LTK with the darkness, but both lapsed into silliness or just plain tedium at times. Both films would have benefited from the filmmakers sticking more confidently to the vision that they clearly intended for each film. Dalton needed that third film where he could Integrate the dark intensity of his second performance into his day job as an international spy.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 1,009
    Back to the "main-20" movies after watching NTTD: It's FYEO this time.

- Noting, again, that the Bill Conti score, except for a couple of cringe-inducing cues (mariachi music in the "Spanish countryside" scenes: he got his first works on Italian/Spanish co-productions, for Gamper's sake) gives this movie a notable sense of levity and fun.
    - Sheena Easton could have been a better Bond Girl than Madonna, that's for sure.
    - Derek Medding's models for the helicopter scene go almost unnoticed. Until recently, I thought all the sequence was for real.
    - The beginning of this film makes a stark contrast with the end of NTTD and goes to show the sheer coolness of having two official cinematic Bond universes (plus two unofficial ones, but their coolness is debatable. I, for one, kind of like them).
    - Is this the only Bond film where the plot is started by unfortunate, disgraceful accident? Those poor men of the St. George, their loved ones… =(( As narmy at it can be, the sinking of the St. George is one of the saddest moments of all the franchise: the horror, the pain, those piercing shrieks… I find it even more tragic than
    Bond being blown to smithereens on NTTD.
    And to top it all, Sir Gray only cares for the ATAC and the generally empathic Gogol is just glowing with happiness.
    Okie dokie, second FYEO post of the day:

- About Max, his Spanish voice actor ad-libbed a couple of lines. When Mr. Havelock says "Down you go" ("Vamos, baja" on the dub), instead of repeating the line, he protests: "He threw me up already!" ("¡Ya me ha echado!").
    - The sheer, icy but full of rage, look of hate of Carole Bouquet on her first scene. Melina could have killed that filthy Gonzales of horror just with that glare.
    - Ladies startled by Roger Moore wielding a parasol. I guess Gonzales invited people of - more or less - his IQ level to his pool parties. "I'm Mary Poppins y'all!".
    - The car chase:
    1. Gonzales's minions insulting each other: "MARICÓN!" ("You faggot!")
    2. On a real-life note, during the Spanish première, featuring Sir Rog himself, a Citroën 2CV was raffled among the audience.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,923
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I was very excited when he got the role, and thought he did a good job at the time, but was disappointed in the films themselves. I’ve learned to appreciate the films a little bit more, but he really deserved better.
    Sums up pretty much how I feel, too. Dalton was the embodiment of James Bond and I so
    wanted a third where they got the balance right and gave him the legacy he deserved. Two more Daltons, at least two more Craigs in CR/QOS-style and George to have done DAF - these will be my Bond wishlist forever, I think.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,161
    Most brutal slap in the franchise goes to...
    ...Kananga backhanding Solitaire across the face. Intense! He is extremely frightening in that moment. I wish we saw flashes of that, or better yet, a full eruption, in the final face off with Bond. He does a complete about face and becomes a generic charming Bond Villain. As much as I love the film, that is disappointing.
    Still on FYEO:
    - I can't help but think about Mandalorians when I see Smithers.
    - Luigi Ferrara is a good man but a terrible judge of character.
    - Julian Glover. This guy's a freking franchise legend: Bond, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. At the moment, I think only Benicio del Toro has the potential to surpass him (Bond, MCU, Star Wars)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Not to mention Glover appearing in episodes of Doctor Who.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Not to mention Glover appearing in episodes of Doctor Who.

Not a Dr. Who fan (essentially due to not living on an English-speaking country, where the only Dr. Who media is from Tennant onwards. My interest on the series is centered on its early iterations, so I still have to see an episode or a movie. I have the Daleks pair with Peter Cushing on my sights, though) but, of course, it should count, too. Talk about a successful career.
    I'm enjoying these write ups!

Right now I'm watching my favorite movie of all time

NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN

Bond gets killed in the opening sequence. M doesn't toast him, but rather reams him a new one for effing up.

Edward Fox's M is the 1983 equivalent to Gareth Mallory.

I just watched this one what, a couple weeks ago?

Well as long as Eon is doing the whole "alternate universe trend" thing I might as well pop in my favorite alternate universe Bond.

I wish there was a half way decent transfer of this film, though.
    I have the 2009 DVD. The colors look like the 2006 Lowery version of TLD.
    I do have an earlier DVD edition and that picture is somewhat brighter.
    Largo looks like a dork in his first scene as Blofeld does a video conference with him during the SPECTRE meeting
    There she is...........my newest crush Prunella Gee.
    She was on RETURN OF THE SAINT starring my favorite "could've been Bond", Ian Ogilvy.
    Fatima pounds Jack Pettachi.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,923
    There was a point where I more than half-expected EON to hire Ogilvy as a sort of mini-Moore replacement!
    Venutius wrote: »
    There was a point where I more than half-expected EON to hire Ogilvy as a sort of mini-Moore replacement!

Ogilvy's Saint kind of reminds me of a young Brosnan. Similar hairstyle and build. Lighter style Bondian actor. I could totally see Brosnan in those SAINT episodes. Actually I could picture Ogilvy in something like TND or GE.
    It's funny when Pettachi's car crashes into the brick wall.
    A friend of mine and I were talking last night about our nostalgia for the early '80's Bond films: Connery and Moore both in new films, the regular airings of the Bond films on ABC and running around at school during recess playing spy when everyone else was into GI Joe or Star Wars.

Whenever I pretended to be Bond at recess I always did my best impression of Connery's voice in NSNA.

I got a red bicycle for Christmas in 1983. I pretended to be Connery during the motor bike chase in this film.
    I really like Algernon. Q Branch looks like the garage where Fonzie worked.
    Bond thinks that Small-Fawcett is an idiot.

I love the Fatima scene with Bond. He should've offered her a mojito.
    Connery's Bond strips to his bare ass in front of Fatima, yet Craig's Bond asks Paloma to turn around as he changes.
    The music is pretty horrendous as Bond and Fatima swim to the wrecked ship.
    Maybe that's why I love it so?
    Bond in the dungarees is superb. This is even better than that terrycloth jumpsuit.
    Again, I love Valerie Leon. One of my favorite beauties of all time.
    Small-Fawcett interrupts Bond's rendezvous with Valerie Leon. Connery's facial expression is hilarious as he answers the phone.
    That's one of those moments when you should just ignore the phone.