The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Good to have another fellow Irishman here! And i notice you're a Dalton fan, even better! Welcome to the forums in indeed!
    You Only Live Twice is on TV. Noticed something I hadn't before when "Dad" was talking about "Little Nellie". Q says the flame guns have a range of 80 yards. Doesn't seem enough in a helicopter dogfight.
    Whenever I hear Tiger talk, I expect him to say, "You are now flying Remote Control Airways".
    Oysters with Kissy. I'll have to have my tin of smoked oysters tomorrow. Delicious, and a good source of iron and zinc for aspiring secret agent types.
    After Bond goes into the volcano lair, Kissy goes for help and she's spotted swimming in the water. How far does she expect to swim? And Donald Pleasence as Blofeld sounds quite a bit like Robert Shaw as Red Grant.
    Nice visual, shot, of Tiger and Kissy as they climb to the lip of the volcano and watch as the SPECTRE spacecraft slowly rises into the starry sky.
    Classic Bond finish! The villain points the business end of a gun right at Bond and Bond beats death again with the help of an ally. Then Bond battles through henchmen as he goes up the steps and goes mano a mano with Hans, a good fight that could've gone a little longer. Bond beats the clock, saves the day, and ends up with the girl.
    Great comments, @Thrasos . I just watched that film yesterday. Really hit the spot.

I'm suddenly in the mood for Pierce, so I'm going with

TOMORROW NEVER DIES

The way the gunbarrel dots move all the way to the right of the screen without visibly enlarging reminds me of the VHS pan and scan era.
    This was for about 5 years, my least favorite Brosnan film. 5 years later DAD was released.
    These days I feel this may be the Brosnan film that holds up best.
    Fantastic Arnold score.
    Excellent pre-title sequence. Pierce had excellent pre-title sequences throughout his run, IMO.
    Bond looks great in the leather jacket. Pierce's haircut looks terrific as well. I should have grown mine like that during this quarantine.
    At risk of sounding repulsive, in some of these close-ups he looks like he has snot coming from his nose. I believe he had a cold at the time. Today that could be CGI-ed out.
    Wonderful Kleinman titles as well. The insides of old school tube television sets.
    Bond's watch X-rayed.
    1997 was such a great year. Wish I could go back.
    Hopefully the next Bond actor's era gives us more frequent outings and some of the fun brought back.
    I like Stamper.
    Knock knock.
    I must reiterate how good Pierce looks in this film. The outfit he wears during the Q scene is classic Bond and very timeless. I love the overcoat.

He could have been a leading man during the golden age of Hollywood.
    Bond is getting pounded by men old enough to be his grandfather.
    Finally 007 turns things around.
    This is my favorite Brosnan film for fight sequences. Pierce has a few good ones and Wai-Lin's later on is quite entertaining.
    007 breaks into the newspaper factory and is "sneaky Bonding" in the offices.

Once again as boring as it is to read repeated comments.......................Pierce's hair is spot on in this film. I even like the patterned ties.
    The wonderful Wai-Lin.

"They'll print anything these days!"

Today that line might be "They'll post anything these days."
    David Arnold has now been away from Bond longer than he was with Bond.
    Terrific music score here.
    Bond wears his pants while showering...............and does it outside.
    My favorite scene in the film is the little interaction with Wai -Lin as they're boarding the boat. "Perhaps he'll take a check?"
    It's a small moment, but showcases the chemistry Pierce had with Yeoh.
    The finale of this film has grown on me in the 23 years since it's release. I like Allan Cameron's set design.

I prefer this climax to most of the Craig's.

I think I may prefer this to the sinking Venice building, actually.

I still maintain the opinion the dialogue with Stamper during the fight is unnecessary.

And so ends Brosnan's 2nd outing.
    Fun viewing this time.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The finale of this film has grown on me in the 23 years since it's release. I like Allan Cameron's set design.

I still maintain the opinion the dialogue with Stamper during the fight is unnecessary.

Fun viewing this time.

Cant agree with your analysis this time! That finale on the stealth boat is terrible. So dull! And for those who go on about the slow mo in the pts of LTK, there is worse here with Wai-Lin and her gun toting antics! Always thought the final scene was very abrupt too, maybe they ran out of money? Agree about Kleinmans title sequence though, love the use of x-ray!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Fun viewing this time.

Cant agree with your analysis this time! That finale on the stealth boat is terrible. So dull! And for those who go on about the slow mo in the pts of LTK, there is worse here with Wai-Lin and her gun toting antics! Always thought the final scene was very abrupt too, maybe they ran out of money? Agree about Kleinmans title sequence though, love the use of x-ray!

A couple hours later and yes it doesn't quite register as one of the great finales. It starts out alright as they sneak aboard the Stealth ship, but the gun toting is a bit much. The dialogue doesn't work. The film still pales in comparison to so many others.
    Fun while I was watching it, but dismiss-able afterwards.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Fun viewing this time.

A couple hours later and yes it doesn't quite register as one of the great finales. It starts out alright as they sneak aboard the Stealth ship, but the gun toting is a bit much. The dialogue doesn't work. The film still pales in comparison to so many others.
    Fun while I was watching it, but dismiss-able afterwards.

Fair enough. I must mention Doctor Kaufman...Vincent Schiavelli steals the movie!
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 1,469
    Excellent pre-title sequence.
    I agree! One part that sticks with me is when Charles Robinson or someone is saying "White Knight, come in" while the green-tinted monitor shows the missile streaking toward its target, quick cut to the missile over actual terrain. The movie also offers a good discussion on the power of the press or media, a topic that's still relevant these days. Great comments.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN

Love the gunbarrel. Barry plays three bars of the melody as per OHMSS. Hamlisch would do the same for the next film.
    One of my favorite iris opening establishing shots. James Bond Island. I should go there one day.
    Lee has three nipples. If he worked with Elaine on SEINFELD no doubt everyone in the office would call him "Nip".

I love Marc Lawrence.Great in KEY LARGO.

IMO, this is a criminally underrated PTS. I think it's quite excellent. Reminds me of FRWL.

Christopher is so tall and lean he looks like the letter L.

Sesame Street could do an alphabet segment : The letter "L" is brought to you by Sir Christopher Lee.

My favorite theme song.

My favorite title sequence, too. I really love these titles, actually.
    Bond tips the cab driver if though he ends up hitching a ride with Goodnight.
    Ever the gentleman.
    Now it's time to slap Andrea around. I get the impression Sir Roger didn't care for this type of sequence in his Bond era. Had this scene been written for the next film or two he would have charmed the information out of her.
    M is in a foul mood throughout this film. I love it!
    The wonderful Chew Me.

If I had to pick a least favorite haircut on Sir Roger in his Bond films, this is it.

It looks like Bond had turned on the television to catch an episode the THE SAINT playing.

007 thought the actor playing Simon Templar looked so cool, he'd grow his hair out just like his.

TMWTGG is Bond's hair at that uncomfortable in between stage while attempting to grow it out. That said, it still looks great.
    Bond slaughters his opponent with one kick. Then gets his a$$ kicked by Chula.
    The ever resourceful Hip ditches Bond. I imagine he got an earful from a rather foul tempered M for his incompetence.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Sesame Street could do an alphabet segment : The letter "L" is brought to you by Sir Christopher Lee.

My favorite theme song.

@ToTheRight. Having just watched an episode of “The Avengers” that starred Christopher Lee this morning – he really does have a larger than life and commanding screen presence. His presence in TMWTGG almost makes up for the film’s shortcomings (IMO, of course).

Also, thanks for the information on Marc Lawrence. I’ve watched “Key Largo” several times over the years and have never made the connection. Shameful on my part, given that his film career dates back to the 1930’s and he often played “hood” type roles. Even more unforgiveable on my part, is the fact that he was in one of the all-time film-noirs: “The Asphalt Jungle” (1950).
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    It looks like Bond had turned on the television to catch an episode the THE SAINT playing.

007 thought the actor playing Simon Templar looked so cool, he'd grow his hair out just like his.
    lol! 👍

I like Bond island as well and think it is perhaps the best setting of a JB film finale.
    Dwayne wrote: »

My favorite theme song.

@ToTheRight. Having just watched an episode of “The Avengers” that starred Christopher Lee this morning – he really does have a larger than life and commanding screen presence. His presence in TMWTGG almost makes up for the film’s shortcomings (IMO, of course).

Also, thanks for the information on Marc Lawrence. I’ve watched “Key Largo” several times over the years and have never made the connection. Shameful on my part, given that his film career dates back to the 1930’s and he often played “hood” type roles. Even more unforgiveable on my part, is the fact that he was in one of the all-time film-noirs: “The Asphalt Jungle” (1950).

Yeah. Marc Lawrence was Ziggy, Edward G Robinson's contact who buys the counterfeit money. I liked him in HOLD THAT GHOST with Abbott and Costello.
    Great actor.

Excellent viewing of TMWTGG. Really hit the spot.