The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

The shot of the faceless mercenaries walking away from camera down toward Skyfall always reminded me of the climatic battle of Witness when the corrupt cops walk toward the Amish village.

That’s funny you say that, because when I watched Witness for the first time a few months ago I thought of SF immediately at that shot as well. Perhaps a subtle homage?
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The shot of the faceless mercenaries walking away from camera down toward Skyfall always reminded me of the climatic battle of Witness when the corrupt cops walk toward the Amish village.

That’s funny you say that, because when I watched Witness for the first time a few months ago I thought of SF immediately at that shot as well. Perhaps a subtle homage?

Yeah, for some reason that shot always stuck with me when I watched Witness as a kid and as soon as I saw Skyfall it struck me. Maybe because it's ominous and you know things are going to get very bloody quickly and the odds are stacked against the protagonist.
    Kincaid just swinging a flashlight around. Come on man...there should be enough light from the homestead that just exploded.
    Where did that guy come from behind Bond on the lake? How is that even possible to sneak up on someone standing in the middle of an iced lake?
    More stunning cinematography from Deakins with fire in the background and the battle under the water.
    Silva's annoyance at Bond knifing him is great.

The old ways are the best...Last rat standing
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,721
    M dying - to be honest, I didn't see it coming the first time I watched the film. Considering some superhero blockbusters unwillingness to kill off lead characters and Star Wars' insistence on slaying them at random I think it's a pretty good balance here. And well earned emotional resonance.
    Moneypenny at desk, double quilted doors, classic M office, eyes only folder, bond theme...

Pure gold.
    Another enjoyable Skyfall watch. The cinematography is breathtaking.
    Great fun reading your comments, @Major_Boothroyd. SF hits the spot for me when I'm in the right mood. Beautiful cinematography throughout.
    Indeed,it is a beautiful visual film.
    GOLDFINGER

Bob Simmons is my favorite Bond performer for the gunbarrel and THIS remains my favorite orchestration of the Bond theme for the gunbarrel.

I love how Bond kicks the guard in the head when he's down.

Bond squeezes plastic explosive. Any one else think of this scene when squeezing toothpaste?

Bond's wetsuit looks like satin. The perfect white dinner jacket, and y favorite in the series. I really like Bogie's shawl collared white dinner jacket in CASABLANCA. I'd like to see Bond wear one some time.
    I love this PTS. Probably one of my favorites. It's simplicity works in it's favor.

............and onto the titles.

Well done Robert Brownjohn. Classic and icon.
    Into Miami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw hats similar to what Felix is wearing at Ride Aid last summer. I should have bought one so I could be wearing it while watching this.

Bond has the comma above his eyebrow. Perhaps because Fleming was on the set that while filming the Jill scenes? I wonder if Shirley Eaton ever gave Fleming crap for not stepping up to the plate and playing Bond himself? She had just finished THE GIRL HUNTERS in which Mickey Spillane had played his very own Mike Hammer.

Goldfinger may be my favorite villain the series. Savalas' Blofeld is up there foe me, though.

"Bond......James Bond". Classic delivery and one of my favorites in the series.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I love this PTS. Probably one of my favorites. It's simplicity works in it's favor.

Just perfect, both of them.
    Looks like they ate salmon, coleslaw, tomatoes and some fruit.....from
    the best restaurant in Miami.

That would have been funnier if there were boxes of Kentucky Fried Chicken takeout on the table instead. Then again, Bond would have had to give Felix a call and invite him over.....which would have spoiled he evening for Jill.

Just perfect, both of them.

I love that he had a recurring theme of projections on the woman in his titles. Very inventive.
    Felix does love his KFC for sure !
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 15,818
    Bond straightens himself up when M lectures him. Almost like standing at attention for his superior. Being a Navy man, Connery knew what to do here. A very subtle acting choice, but effective.
    Connery and Moore's Bonds always had respect for their M (with the small exception in GF when M threatened him with 008 replacing him).

Dalton,Brosnan and Craig not so much.
    barryt007 wrote: »

I'd really like to see at least one scene of Bond and Leiter lunching together as in the novels. I believe they get burgers and Leiter complains about the onion rings. Don't remember if that's in LALD or DAF, though.
    The famous Q scene. Classic and iconic. I love the TB one just as much, though if not more actually.

Bond jinxes Goldfinger's putt by dropping the gold bar. YES!!!!!!!!

I'd really like to see at least one scene of Bond and Leiter lunching together as in the novels. I believe they get burgers and Leiter complains about the onion rings. Don't remember if that's in LALD or DAF, though.

Hahaha yes...DAF.

Hahaha yes...DAF.

That's right. In LALD they get Chicken in a Basket or something.

I really need to replace my Fleming novels. I only have a few left.

The end of Tilly.
    The legendary Aston Martin chase. The ejector seat is still pretty funny.
    The laser scene is right out of a serial cliffhanger type of scenario. Of course in the book it was a buzz saw which would be even more serial style.

Great stuff. Bond breaks a sweat and is genuinely concerned here. Yet Connery doesn't make pain faces or over do it in the acting department.
    His look of relief once the laser is turned off is so genuine I half believe Connery himself must have been in a similar predicament in real life.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 15,818
    Ah, Pooooooooooooshy.

She's up there among my favorite Sean Bond girls.

Bond shaves.

I love the shoe heal gadget. When I was a kid I had my folks buy me black dress shoes. I wanted ones with that type of slick sole. It's hard to run around in dress shoes, especially Roger style slip on's.
    That's one of the elements that make both Connery and Moore the toughest Bonds. IMO.
    Craig's QOS shoes seem to have traction, which, IMO is for wusses.
    He made up for it in SF with those PTS boots, though.
    Bond in Kentucky.

The Bluegrass State.

Since he's out in the country, he should call up the "Lady in the Bahamas" and see if she would send him those dungarees he loved so much.

I like Pussy's purple outfit.

One kiss from Bond and that's all it takes for her to change sides.

Mickey G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Barry music here as the soldiers collapse. One of my favorite tracks on the album.

I'm checking out Google Maps..............the spot where the trucks turn the corner of Harris and Main street looks pretty much the same....except the building on the corner has a paint job and blue canopy added. No MULDAUGH TELEVISION painted on the side, though. Very cool.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Great Barry music here as the soldiers collapse. One of my favorite tracks on the album.

I'm checking out Google Maps..............the spot where the trucks turn the corner of Harris and Main street looks pretty much the same....except the building on the corner has a paint job and blue canopy added. No MULDAUGH TELEVISION painted on the side, though. Very cool.

Google maps, great idea.

Maybe you should create a Google Maps thread that is Bond related.