The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Birdleson wrote: »
    MR was the first time I remember thinking that he was starting to look old.

It wasn't until FYEO that I noticed; however, it is a bit more noticeable in MR and even a little in TSWLM with the blu-ray transfers. You can see every damn wrinkle and age mark on the skin on everyone!

I'm ok with an older veteran Bond, it's only in NSNA and AVTAK where it is old to the point of distracting.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I like the way Bond goes through the areas of the palace that he's going to fight in later on.

I'm surprised Bond doesn't use listening devices very often. This is one of the earliest times.
    It wasn't until FYEO that I noticed; however, it is a bit more noticeable in MR and even a little in TSWLM with the blu-ray transfers. You can see every damn wrinkle and age mark on the skin on everyone!

I'm ok with an older veteran Bond, it's only in NSNA and AVTAK where it is old to the point of distracting.

Agreed. A couple of unflattering shots in MR but the big jump is FYEO. There's some scenes in MR, particularly in the cable car, where Moore looks like Timothy Dalton in LTK.
    I like that Moore does some proper spying in this one. In fact, the Moore movies, as far removed as they are from the Fleming books, involve some of the most actual spying.

John Glen sure loves his animal scares, doesn't he? At least one per movie.

It is interesting that in the most silly of adventures, we get the most spying at times. MR this occurs as well when he is sneaking around the Drax estate, the lab with the gas globes, and the glass museum.
    So he wears a safari suit in every other film?

I like the one here best, really.
    Never worked at a butcher before, are meat lockers with corpses hanging from hooks normal?
    Moore is truly the most unflappable Bond. He's least affected by the jump scares (compare to Timothy Dalton) and he recovers the quickest.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Why do they keep showing Magda when she does absolutely nought until the palace fight later on?
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    So he wears a safari suit in every other film?

I like the one here best, really.

It's the best fit in my unqualified opinion, but also makes the most sense in context. I dare say that Jourdan rocks it even better.
    Kamal has a cool safari suit as well.
    I love this section. It's pretty funny.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Ah, the jungle chase. As an Australian I can say that we do this every day!

I like how Moore manages to run down the hill at a dreadfully slow pace and yet all of Kamal's men can't land a shot on him. They must've been inspired by the stormtroopers in '77 and '80.
    Time for a few of the sillier moments. I actually laugh at the "Sit!" now, but the Tarzan yell, what were they thinking...
    Connery's Bond terrified of tarantula crawling on him. Snake in the jungle crawling over Bond in OP, hiss off!!
    Today very few would even get the Tarzan yell reference
    "No ma'am, I'm with the economy tour!"

Love that line. It won our Moore one-liner tournament recently.
    Mickey G!!!!!!!!!!
    Noticed that a few more logged onm namely @RichardTheBruce and @TripAces. If you're interested, we're doing a group viewing and commentary on OP, currently at the safari chase scene!
    Never noticed Vijay's weird looking bright blue pants
    I just tune out during this whole segment. It's how I've learned to enjoy so many Bond films that used to lose me at some point (TLD,TND, DAD).

Action scenes are a huge draw the first time you see them, but as movies age and you view them over and over, it's the dialogue, character, and story that drive the film and keep you coming back for more.

That's a lot of butt. @Birdleson has the scene happened yet?
    He's pretty weird looking all around. How does he play tennis? He seems so gangly.

I had a friend whose wife played a lot of tennis and met Vijay at a tournament. She got to know him pretty well, but never asked him about Bond.
    I wonder if Octopussy's father Dexter Smythe is where Bond got the idea for the alias James St. John Smythe in AVTAK
    Oh my!!!! How did I miss that all these years.
    Moore stealth on Bond's part!
    Louis Jourdan is six years older than Moore but somehow looks younger.
    Louis Jourdan is six years older than Moore but somehow looks younger.

Almost impossible to believe that he was 62 when the film was released.
    He looked the same for many years.
    Poor Vijay
    I'd say that the last great henchman was Zao.

I'd say the last great henchman is Xenia. Stamper and Zao are fine, but wouldn't put either in my top 10. Mr. White is too pivotal of a villain to call him a henchman in my eyes.
    Who is that one-eyed laughing guy and does he even appear again later on, during the palace assault or anything? Kind of pointless to put him in otherwise. Kamal might as well have gone straight to the yo-yo guy at the top.