how QOS intro should've been

2»

Comments

I hate to admit this but...I don't recall a whole lot of QoS. Was the movie that bad? I know it is not nearly as good as CR but when you guys mention some scenes i just can't remember. I did not like Greene, I was not too fond of Camille, the subplot about water, oil (WTF?) Camille and that Latin American officer?? I did like agent Fields though. Maybe they should have stuck with the Mr. White, Quantum storyline rather than going off on that other stuff. :(
    They did stick with the Mr. White/Quantum storyline. Mr. White was just a smaller part than the farther reaching Quantum one. If you are forgetting this much you really need to give it a reewatch. Apparently it has been a while.
    I think you might be right. I am gonna have to rewatch it. I only saw it once when it hit the theaters back in 2008.
    I did not like Greene, I was not too fond of Camille, the subplot about water, oil (WTF?) Camille and that Latin American officer??
    What subplot? That was the main plot.

Dominic Greene was trying to get his hands on Bolivia's water supply. Because the Bolivian president refused to deal with him, Greene planned to organise a military coup, removing the president from power and installing General Medrano - who would honour the arrangement with Quantum - in the president's place. In order to do this, Greene mislead the CIA and MI6 into believing there were untapped reserves of oil in Bolivia, and that by endorsing Medrano as president, they would get some of the oil. However, there was never any oil in Bolivia, and as soon as Quantum had what they wanted, they planned to leave the Americans and the British with the mess.

Camille's connection to Medrano was a personal one - she wanted to kill him out of revenge for him killing her family when she was a child. She joined the Bolivian Secret Service to locate Medrano, resigned as soon as she found him, and then started a relationship with Greene (who the Bolivians evidently knew to be an associate of Medrano) in order to get close enough to kill him.
  • How could the gunbarrel break the tension if it opened up the film? QOS still could have began with the gunbarrel, which opens to the camera panning across the lake.
    Because the film was clearly building up tension towards the start of the car chase. That's what the whole sweeping shot over the lake intercut with shots of Bond, the Aston and the Alfas pursuing him and the way the music stopped to let the engine note sound out were all about. A gunbarrel at the beginning would have damaged that.
    I might be remembering part of this from an old forum post I read ages ago, but I think the effect might have been preserved with a gunbarrel if the opening music had been written a bit more lengthily so as to cover it, too. I think the beginning music's softness and subtlety works very well, so to have an almost soundless gunbarrel, punctuated in contrast after Craig's walk-on by a single, powerful gunshot, followed by the mysterious strains of the music as the blood drips down and the white circle sinks to the corner and fades before proceeding as in reality, could have been very effective and would certainly have provided a contrast (both atmospherically and design-wise) with those of the majority of the rest of the series. I also think that, if done properly, a return to an opening gunbarrel after one film without it could have worked out. Given, I understand and can appreciate the artistic motivations behind its placement, but I think this may have worked as well, or even moreso.
  • I realize we have to move with the times but Bond should really be like it always was, have the gunbarrel bit at the very start, no fancy stuff, then the teaser and so on, not include it at the end or wherever they see fit

I have no idea what they've got lined up in the next release, probably be something similar to what went before in the last two Craig outings, even Brosnan in 2002 wasn't exactly as it should be if memory serves, last 'proper' Bond barrel start then must surely be The World is not Enough if you understand

• edited October 2011 Posts: 5,745
    How bad would it be if they came up with Bond being viewed through scope (the gun barrell with crosshairs) in a true enviroment (i.e. not white background) and then turns and shoots the sniper.

I forreals saw this somewhere.

I'd literally say "F it" and walk out. No fancy stuff. IDC where you put it, just don't screw with it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You are all worked up over a gunbarrel sequence?!
    You are all worked up over a gunbarrel sequence?!
    No if they went to the extreme. Just throw it in somewhere and I'm happy. Don't, I'll still watch the movie. But if you absolutely tarnish it, like with my example, the rest of the movie can't get much better.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    In the FRWL/GF gunbarrel sequences the white circle would get smaller and disappear, instead of opening up to show us the PTS. I wouldn't mind seeing minor homages like that happen for this anniversary. You know, nothing that would screw up the film.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I realize we have to move with the times but Bond should really be like it always was, have the gunbarrel bit at the very start, no fancy stuff, then the teaser and so on, not include it at the end or wherever they see fit
    That wasn't moving with the times, it was telling the reboot story with the gun barrel top and tailing the two-part film.