Does each Bond film has one category in which it is the best of the franchise?

2»

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TSWLM most romantic
    While this could be considered a controversial opinion, I have to say that TSWLM in Egypt certainly has a very romantic flavour to it. Such absolutely beautiful scenery, Bach looking like $m, Moore cool as a cucumber in a dinner suit and Hamlisch on fire in the score department. The only other film that gives me that feeling is FRWL in Istanbul. Both have a larger than life old school elegance in those respective settings.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    GBF wrote: »

FYEO: Best Bond kill (Loque), best climbing scene (it is probably the only one),

Haha when you can't think of anything, just use a scene that is exclusive to that film :P

FYEO is a little like Mario....all rounder but doesn't particularly stand out in any area
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Clutching at straws on quite a few of these aren't you?
    LALD most suspenseful

It has the finger snipping scene and crocodile scene I suppose but other than that....? The whole Orient Express sequence in FRWL, bomb countdown in GF, ski escape in OHMSS, everything in Germany in OP (009 escaping and the bomb countdown) and the poker game in CR surely have far stronger claims?

I have always found the PTS, the whole voodoo sequences and Solitaire being clairvoyant quite suspenseful, maybe mysterious with a touch of horror even is a better term? I never felt the same about any other Bond film.
    TSWLM most romantic

Bland Anya and fairly bog standard Bond/Bond girl relationship (Sergei aside, which is basically one scene and 30 seconds at the end v Tracy and Vesper??!?!

TSWLM oozes romance in my opinion. Even in the PTS, what's more romantic than being in the snowy mountains in a log cabin with your lady. Anya and Bond on the boat is highly romantic, even the colouring of that scene was done to underline it.
    I never felt romance between Vesper and Bond.
    Tracy and Bond, yes.

FYEO best down to earth film

I sense you were starting to struggle here given the vagueness of the category but FRWL, OHMSS, CR and QOS have just as valid claims for being films that are down to earth by MR/DAD standards.

FYEO doesn't feature a villain that wants to eradicate half the population or aims at world domination. Also the action is always believable. The feel of the movie overall is down to earth. But yes FRWL could qualify in that category as well.
    AVTAK best Bond song

Matter of taste I suppose but sounds like you couldnt find another category that AVTAK stood a chance in so opted for this.

That was the easiest choice of them all. Not only is AVTAK the best Bond song but the best song ever for me.
    TLD best score

See AVTAK above. All the 60's Bonds (sans DN) plus DAF have as good a claim if not better I would say.

Sorry, easy choice again. TLD is my favourite score, by far. Next would be AVTAK, OP and OHMSS.
    TND best contemporary plot (media mogul manipulating and creating news)

I would suggest a film about a bad guy on a Carribbean island toppling American rockets released only 8 days before the Cuban Missile Crisis is about as up to date as you can get (would be interesting to do a study of what effect the convenient timing of the Cuban Missile Crisis for EON had on DN's box office) - although in the US it was 6 months later.

I stand by my decision.
    TWINE best plot twist (Elektra turning out to be the baddie)

Hmm. Apart from the fact you can see it coming a mile off I guess Bond films aren't known for their twists so possibly. Although Tracy getting a bullet in the head and Vesper being a double are bigger shocks.

Tracy can't be called a plot twist in my opinion, it's the film's last scene, if anything it is "most shocking end".
    DAD best Bond car

I'd like to think you're just talking about the Vanquish as a car because if you're including the invisibility as well then you're just plain wrong. As a car it's gorgeous but when Cleese wheels it out on that trolley my heart plunged that the wheels really were coming off the film in spectacular style.

Of course I talk about the car. The Vanquish is the greatest car ever built. And it gets a lot of screen time. I don't mind the invisible stuff, that's only about 1 minute in the film and one more thing that gets blown out of proportion when bashing DAD.
    QOS best action

Possibly quantity of action but best? Really? The opening car chase (when you can make out what is going on) and the rope fight are excellent but after that? A very dull and superfluous boat chase. A reasonable plane dogfight ruined by atrocious CGI freefall sequence; actually there's no need for me to continue any further. Any film that pisses all over BJ Worth and Jake Lombard with shitty CGI can't even be in the shortlist for best action.

QOS has the best action. Hand-to-hand fights are action as well, so there is no other choice for that category in my opinion.
    SP best look (design, clothes, sets, locations)

Design, sets and locations - if it ain't Ken Adam it ain't the best. Simples.

Clothes - Maddies dress on the train isn't bad but Dan's shrink fit suits? No ta.

I meant overall, like in....overall. Of course Ken Adam's sets are infinitely better than anything in any other Bond movie that hasn't Adam's ingenious touch.

Spectre and Skyfall are the two best looking movies in the franchise.
    In fact, the only reason why Skyfall is watchable is because it looks fantastic. Like a perfectly wrapped gift, with stunningly beautiful wrapping paper and gift ribbons that take your breath away because they are so awesome. Of course once you have unwrapped it you'll find nothing. Just plain boring emptiness.

A few you might have gone with for the above films that make a bit more sense:

LALD - Best boat chase? I know JW's antics are rather grating but it's this or TWINE. Best use of animals in a Bond film? Snakes and crocodiles galore.
    ACCEPTED

TSWLM - Best PTS? Perhaps not but its definitely right up there. Best single stunt then? Personally I prefer the TLD cargo net but you couldn't really argue with anyone who opted for Rick Sylvester.
    NOPE

FYEO - Hmm. This is one of the problems with FYEO. It's a solid 7 out of 10 across the board with nothing really standing out as amazing. Good car chase and ski chase but not the best. Good Bond performance but not the best. Good Bond girl but not the best. Good allies but not the best. It's the James Milner of Bond films - very solid, unlikely to totally f**k up but hardly likely to take the game by the scruff of the neck when you are 3-0 down.
    Best use of a parrot? Best comedy cameo of a Prime Minister? How about best reference to Tracy post OHMSS?
    As I said, most down to earth.

AVTAK - Getting pretty difficult now as AVTAK is a rather tired effort with nothing standing out. Best piece of action music that isn't the Bond theme for 'He's dangerous'? Best use of a real landmark for the Golden Gate finale?
    Nothing will ever beat Duran Duran's AVTAK.

TLD - Most Fleming-esque portrayal of Bond? Best stunt for the cargo net? Best PTS? Best adaptation of Fleming for the sniper sequence? Best Bond car? There's plenty of options to go for here where TLD would be right up there and challenging for the top.
    AGREED, that I should have chosen. Bad oversight on my part.

TND - Now we're into Brozza territory it's going to be tough. Best segue into the title sequence? Best end credits song? After that? It's solid enough but nothing standout. Best bike chase maybe?
    Best silly villain moment would apply as well. Carver doing that karate thing. But then Silva's "Mommy....is....verybad" or "Moooommmyyy" is as bad, especially given the fact that SF is supposed to be a serious drama movie.

TWINE - I suppose it's certainly in the frame for best boat chase and possibly best PTS but again after that we're struggling.
    Best knockers would probably be one of the only things I could find that I'd call positive about that film.

DAD - Best nonchalant moment from Bond as he kicks the sword at the camera? There's nothing else I can come up with I'm afraid.
    Best fight with a weapon. A good alternative to best Bond car.

QOS - Most brutal moment from Bond as he calmly holds Slate down and let's him bleed out? Most stylish sequence for the opera scene? Maybe best car chase?
    Best action, definitely. As the Slate fight is action as well. Even the opera sequence features action. How can you not see that?
  • bondjames wrote: »
    TSWLM most romantic
    While this could be considered a controversial opinion, I have to say that TSWLM in Egypt certainly has a very romantic flavour to it. Such absolutely beautiful scenery, Bach looking like $m, Moore cool as a cucumber in a dinner suit and Hamlisch on fire in the score department. The only other film that gives me that feeling is FRWL in Istanbul. Both have a larger than life old school elegance in those respective settings.

Bach looks like she's wearing $m worth of eye shadow in that scene. ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

TSWLM oozes romance in my opinion. Even in the PTS, what's more romantic than being in the snowy mountains in a log cabin with your lady.

You're claiming a 2 minute scene of Bond slinging one up some doublecrossing piece a romantic highlight of the film?
    Anya and Bond on the boat is highly romantic, even the colouring of that scene was done to underline it.

Snowy mountains, log cabins, boat down the Nile. You seem to be mistaking location for what is happening between the characters which in this case is merely a quick fumble followed by Anya knocking Bond out.

I stand by my decision.

Well I cant really take issue with such an eloquent and persuasively argued case.
    Tracy can't be called a plot twist in my opinion, it's the film's last scene, if anything it is "most shocking end".

I wasnt aware that a twist had to come at a predetermined time before the end of the film? Its a twist by the perceived Hollywood rules of the hero driving off into the sunset with the heroine.
    I don't mind the invisible stuff, that's only about 1 minute in the film and one more thing that gets blown out of proportion when bashing DAD.

The parasurfing tsunami, the double take pigeon, the slide whistle, the elephant pushing JW into the canal are all even less than a minute so presume you dont mind those either?

QOS has the best action. Hand-to-hand fights are action as well, so there is no other choice for that category in my opinion.
    As the Slate fight is action as well. Even the opera sequence features action. How can you not see that?

I understand what action is. The Slate fight is a good fight but no more than that and there are plenty of better ones in the series. As I've already said the car chase is good (editing aside) as is the rope fight (although that is almost ruined by CGI). The boat chase is dull and the plane sequence starts off decent and then morphs into a shambles. But theres still no stand out stunt that wows you.

I can see that QOS has a lot of action. Its just that a lot of it is far from the best. There's not an automatic correlation between quantity and quality you know.
    I meant overall, like in....overall. Of course Ken Adam's sets are infinitely better than anything in any other Bond movie that hasn't Adam's ingenious touch.

Spectre and Skyfall are the two best looking movies in the franchise.
    In fact, the only reason why Skyfall is watchable is because it looks fantastic. Like a perfectly wrapped gift, with stunningly beautiful wrapping paper and gift ribbons that take your breath away because they are so awesome. Of course once you have unwrapped it you'll find nothing. Just plain boring emptiness.

So when you say 'look' you really mean 'cinematography'? Agreed that overall SF and SP are two of the standouts in terms of visual appeal. However Deakins' unsurpassed cinematography and Van Hoytema's yellow filter means that SF is comfortably ahead.
    TWINE - I suppose it's certainly in the frame for best boat chase and possibly best PTS but again after that we're struggling.
    Best knockers would probably be one of the only things I could find that I'd call positive about that film.

F**k me you've opened a can of worms here that I just cant resist! I'm tempted to start a new thread but worried the Mods will close it so lets just take a quick crack at it here and hopefully it will slip under the good taste radar for a while!

Best Knockers

DN: Sylvia - difficult to tell so I'll give her a 5, Miss Taro - same 5, Honey - 9. Total - 6.3

FRWL: Sylvia - that bikini is awful so 5 again, Rosa - 'badly packed sandbag' 1, gypsy girls - 6 apiece, Kerim's mistress - 7, Tania - Never really on display but reckon they would be solid (well firm) 8s. Total - 5.4

GF: Bonita - 6, Dink - 7 Jill - an entirely satisfying 7, Tilly - doesnt do much for me 4, Pussy - a galorious 8.5. Total - 6.5

TB: Pat - 8, Paula - 6, Fiona - That blue top with Derval!!!! 10, Domino - 8. Total - 8

YOLT: Ling - Impossible to tell so a standard 5, Aki - Another standard 5, Helga - A very healthy 7.5, Kissy - a small but nonetheless nice 6.5. Total - 6

OHMSS: Tracy - Nothing amazing I'm afraid 6, Ruby - same 6, Nancy - same again 6, Irma - Dismal 0. Total - 4.5

DAF: Marie - A VCR pause button breaking 6, Tiffany - 8, Plenty - 8, Bambi - 4, Thumper - 4. Total - 6

LALD: Miss Caruso - 9, Rosie - nothing there 3, Solitaire - 7. Total 6.3

TMWTGG: Saida - One of the least attractive Bond girls of all time 3, Andrea - 7, Hip's nieces - I'm not going to risk getting myself put on the register by commenting!, Mary - Who can forget the Wicker Man? 9. Total - 6.3

TSWLM: Log cabin girl - impossible to tell 5, Felicca - again impossible to tell 5, Anya - if you've seen Force 10 From Navarone you'll know theyre not as good as you imagine they are 6, Naomi - 8. Total - 6

MR: Woman on the plane - impossible to tell 5, Corinne - 7, Holly - if you've seen Creepshow 2 you'll know they really are not as good as you imagine they are 4, Manuela - 5, Dolly - 8. Total - 5.8

FYEO: Melina - 8, Bibi - Pretty sure shes over 16 so its fine 6, Lisl - the nighty slips even more in bluray 7, Brink - 1. Total 5.5

OP:Bianca (although Bond calls her Corinna??) - 7, Penelope Smallbone - difficult to say 5, Magda - not a lot there when she abseils of the balcony 5, Octopussy - 7. Total - 6

AVTAK: Kimberley Jones - Hard to say but as an ex Miss World we have to be talking 7.5 minimum, May Day - Frightening 3, Stacey - 7, Pola - they're jumping all over the place when she gets out of the sea in that vest 8, Jenny Flex - Difficult to say as shes dressed in horse clobber the whole time 5. Total - 6.1

TLD: Linda - nothing great 5, Kara - Deceptively good (check out Xtro) 7.5. Total - 6.3

LTK: Della - I'm sure Dario would know but the wedding dress doesnt show much 5, Pam - the poster shots are spectacular 8.5, Lupe - 7. Total - 6.8

GE: Caroline - impossible to tell 5, Xenia - 7.5, Natalya - 7.5. Total - 6.6

TND: Inga Bergstrom - 6, Paris - If you've seen Heaven's Prisoners you'll know these are a bitter disappointment - 3, Daphne Deckers - only a bit part but she has a fantastic pair 9.5, Wai Lin - nothing much it seems 4. Total - 5.6

TWINE: Cigar girl - 8, Molly Warmflash - 5, Elektra - having studied much of her French work I can attest to a fine pair of 8s, Christmas - Two words: Wild Things 9. Total: 7.5

DAD: Peaceful Fountains of Desire - impossible to tell 5, Jinx - 8.5, The Pikelet - 8 . Total - 7.2

CR: Solange - 9.5, Valenka - 6, Vesper - 10. Total - 8.5

QOS: Camille - 8, Fields - 8, Corinne - impossible to tell 5 . Total - 7

SF: Turkish bird - 7, Eve (I have not counted MP so far but feel that in this film only an exception can be made) 5, Severine - 7.5, 'He's keen to get home' man's wife - 1. Total - 5.1

SP: Mexican bird - 7, Lucia - used to be a 10 but given Monica's age theyve got to be heading southwards these days 8.5, Madeline - No such problems for Lea - 9.5. Total - 8.3

You've no idea how many years of patient research went into that.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,422
    Most commendable @Wiz!

I would've thought Plenty would a get a ten, mind.
    royale65 wrote: »
    Most commendable @Wiz!

A bit too much volume over substance old chap. Size isn't everything as I'm sure you know. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    What about that babe who Bond focuses in on with the watch at MI6 HQ in India? She was quite plentiful in my view.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    DN: Best (prison/cell) escape
    FRWL: Best female villain
    GF: Best henchman
    TB: Best dialogue
    YOLT: Best lair
    OHMSS: Best ski chase
    DAF: Best John Barry score
    LALD: Best title song
    TMWTGG: Best car stunt
    TSWLM: Best ski stunt (and best stunt overall)
    MR: Creepiest Bond scene (Jaws, in the alley, in a Carnivale costume)
    FYEO: Best henchman death
    OP: Best "post-title sequence." (Clown chase in the woods.)
    AVTAK: Best Villain
    LTD: Best marketing poster (the sheer gown)
    LTK: Best bar fight
    GE: Sexiest female villain
    TND: Best motorcyle chase
    TWINE: Best helicopter chase
    DAD: Best use of borrowed music ("London Calling")
    CR: Best seduction scene (Bond and Solange)
    QoS: Best fight scene (Bond vs Slate)
    SF: Best cinematography
    SP: Best PTS
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,020
    @TheWizardOfIce

I am so glad I'm bringing out the best in you. Your knockers analysis is the greatest thing I have read so far on this forum.

Here it is again, in case anyone missed it, I'm also tempted to put it into my "Bond by Numbers" thread.
    Best Knockers

DN: Sylvia - difficult to tell so I'll give her a 5, Miss Taro - same 5, Honey - 9. Total - 6.3

FRWL: Sylvia - that bikini is awful so 5 again, Rosa - 'badly packed sandbag' 1, gypsy girls - 6 apiece, Kerim's mistress - 7, Tania - Never really on display but reckon they would be solid (well firm) 8s. Total - 5.4

GF: Bonita - 6, Dink - 7 Jill - an entirely satisfying 7, Tilly - doesnt do much for me 4, Pussy - a galorious 8.5. Total - 6.5

TB: Pat - 8, Paula - 6, Fiona - That blue top with Derval!!!! 10, Domino - 8. Total - 8

YOLT: Ling - Impossible to tell so a standard 5, Aki - Another standard 5, Helga - A very healthy 7.5, Kissy - a small but nonetheless nice 6.5. Total - 6

OHMSS: Tracy - Nothing amazing I'm afraid 6, Ruby - same 6, Nancy - same again 6, Irma - Dismal 0. Total - 4.5

DAF: Marie - A VCR pause button breaking 6, Tiffany - 8, Plenty - 8, Bambi - 4, Thumper - 4. Total - 6

LALD: Miss Caruso - 9, Rosie - nothing there 3, Solitaire - 7. Total 6.3

TMWTGG: Saida - One of the least attractive Bond girls of all time 3, Andrea - 7, Hip's nieces - I'm not going to risk getting myself put on the register by commenting!, Mary - Who can forget the Wicker Man? 9. Total - 6.3

TSWLM: Log cabin girl - impossible to tell 5, Felicca - again impossible to tell 5, Anya - if you've seen Force 10 From Navarone you'll know theyre not as good as you imagine they are 6, Naomi - 8. Total - 6

MR: Woman on the plane - impossible to tell 5, Corinne - 7, Holly - if you've seen Creepshow 2 you'll know they really are not as good as you imagine they are 4, Manuela - 5, Dolly - 8. Total - 5.8

FYEO: Melina - 8, Bibi - Pretty sure shes over 16 so its fine 6, Lisl - the nighty slips even more in bluray 7, Brink - 1. Total 5.5

OP:Bianca (although Bond calls her Corinna??) - 7, Penelope Smallbone - difficult to say 5, Magda - not a lot there when she abseils of the balcony 5, Octopussy - 7. Total - 6

AVTAK: Kimberley Jones - Hard to say but as an ex Miss World we have to be talking 7.5 minimum, May Day - Frightening 3, Stacey - 7, Pola - they're jumping all over the place when she gets out of the sea in that vest 8, Jenny Flex - Difficult to say as shes dressed in horse clobber the whole time 5. Total - 6.1

TLD: Linda - nothing great 5, Kara - Deceptively good (check out Xtro) 7.5. Total - 6.3

LTK: Della - I'm sure Dario would know but the wedding dress doesnt show much 5, Pam - the poster shots are spectacular 8.5, Lupe - 7. Total - 6.8

GE: Caroline - impossible to tell 5, Xenia - 7.5, Natalya - 7.5. Total - 6.6

TND: Inga Bergstrom - 6, Paris - If you've seen Heaven's Prisoners you'll know these are a bitter disappointment - 3, Daphne Deckers - only a bit part but she has a fantastic pair 9.5, Wai Lin - nothing much it seems 4. Total - 5.6

TWINE: Cigar girl - 8, Molly Warmflash - 5, Elektra - having studied much of her French work I can attest to a fine pair of 8s, Christmas - Two words: Wild Things 9. Total: 7.5

DAD: Peaceful Fountains of Desire - impossible to tell 5, Jinx - 8.5, The Pikelet - 8 . Total - 7.2

CR: Solange - 9.5, Valenka - 6, Vesper - 10. Total - 8.5

QOS: Camille - 8, Fields - 8, Corinne - impossible to tell 5 . Total - 7

SF: Turkish bird - 7, Eve (I have not counted MP so far but feel that in this film only an exception can be made) 5, Severine - 7.5, 'He's keen to get home' man's wife - 1. Total - 5.1

SP: Mexican bird - 7, Lucia - used to be a 10 but given Monica's age theyve got to be heading southwards these days 8.5, Madeline - No such problems for Lea - 9.5. Total - 8.3

You've no idea how many years of patient research went into that.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Great analysis, Wiz! I agree that Fiona is the clear winner but just imagine if Monica had done a Bond film in her prime!
    pachazo wrote: »
    Great analysis, Wiz! I agree that Fiona is the clear winner but just imagine if Monica had done a Bond film in her prime!

It was always going to come down to a heavyweight tag team tussle between Fiona & Domino and Solange & Vesper. If they did it in custard you've got a billion copy selling DVD right there.

You're right though if Monica was in her prime in SP, with Lea backing her up they would have been a formidable duo too.

• Oh Solange is definitely a 10. Maybe even eleven. Seriously.
  • GBFGBF
    Most commendable @Wiz!

A bit too much volume over substance old chap. Size isn't everything as I'm sure you know. ;)

Well you forgot M.
    Oh Solange is definitely a 10. Maybe even eleven. Seriously.

Even though Valenka hasnt got much and despite stiff (pun intended) opposition from TB, CR was always going to win this for me. I did consider 11 for Fiona and Vesper and on reflection youre probably right that Solange deserves it too but it felt like cheating a bit to go beyond 10. I knocked off half a mark for Solange simply because I couldnt bear to let her share Eva's pedestal but I agree it's poor from to let personal preference skew the results of a study as scientific as this and for that I apologise.
    Most commendable @Wiz!

Well you forgot M.

Having included the terrible offerings from Klebb, Bunt and Brink, largely for comedy value, I did think it was a bit disingenuous to therefore not include Judi. However I was able to rationalise this by discounting M and MP as stock characters and therefore not eligible (an exception was granted to Eve in SF as she is more Bond girl than MP in this film).

Surely OHMSS is hands-down the most romantic?

BAIN123 wrote: »
    Surely OHMSS is hands-down the most romantic?

You might think so.

But to some, apparently, Roger copping a feel of some thigh and then getting narcotic dust blown in his face is practically Mills & Boon stuff merely because they are on Felucca cruising down the Nile with the sun setting in the background.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Sterling ranking, @TheWizardOfIce.

The best of the Bond bosom for me have always been Fiona, Plenty, Solange and Vesper, adding in Severine for a more recent film because every time I look at Berenice it's difficult for me to avoid not thinking of wanting to reenact that shower scene with her (but less creepy this time).

It's also genius of you to add in the wife of the pair who see Bond running for the tube in SF. In her day, she may have ranked with the breast best of these other babes-you never know!
  • GBFGBF

Even though Valenka hasnt got much and despite stiff (pun intended) opposition from TB, CR was always going to win this for me. I did consider 11 for Fiona and Vesper and on reflection youre probably right that Solange deserves it too but it felt like cheating a bit to go beyond 10. I knocked off half a mark for Solange simply because I couldnt bear to let her share Eva's pedestal but I agree it's poor from to let personal preference skew the results of a study as scientific as this and for that I apologise.
    Most commendable @Wiz!

Well you forgot M.

Having included the terrible offerings from Klebb, Bunt and Brink, largely for comedy value, I did think it was a bit disingenuous to therefore not include Judi. However I was able to rationalise this by discounting M and MP as stock characters and therefore not eligible (an exception was granted to Eve in SF as she is more Bond girl than MP in this film).

well you also forgot the sumo wrestlers in YOLT and TMWTGG.

Most commendable @Wiz!

Well you forgot M.

well you also forgot the sumo wrestlers in YOLT and TMWTGG.

True. And Sean in DAF.