What are you reading?

Comments

• Amazon is offering $2 digital downloads for all Fleming books for Kindle.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    mrnate8 wrote:
    Amazon is offering $2 digital downloads for all Fleming books for Kindle.

Thanks, I will check them.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Mud sweat and tears - Bear Grylls
    It's not a novel as u might guess its his autobiography
    The chapters are as short as DC's hair in SF but I'm really enjoying it at the minute.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I keep switching between FRWL and Slash's autobiography that I've had for years and have never read.
    Currently I'm reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King hardcover and rereading The Shining on my Kindle for the upcoming Dr. Sleep. I just finished Darkness, Take My Hand and A Drink Before The War both by Dennis Lehane. I'm an avid reader so these are only a snapshot, but I highly recommend all four books if you haven't read them.
  • Just finished reading
    A Princess of Mars

also reading Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide 2nd edition
  • For the last three months I have been reading - Necronomicon: The best weird tales of H.P.Lovecraft.
    One of the strangest reads I have ever had btw.

• I finished FRWL. I love the ending, very well done. One of the best for sure and probably my favourite so far outside of the Blofeld trilogy. For some reason I pictured Connery in this one, I usually picture Dalton.

Going to read Stephen Kings book The Stand next.

That's a great read. I thought it got a little preachy at the end, besides that I thought it was fantastic.
  • ultrabox wrote:

That's a great read. I thought it got a little preachy at the end, besides that I thought it was fantastic.

He's one of my favourite authors (not sure why I haven't read it before to be honest) so I'm really looking forward to getting into it.
    I've just started rereading him. He was one of my favorites when I was younger but I haven't read any of his books as an adult. I'm sort of going through the more notable ones now. I just read The Stand this time last year and really enjoyed it.
  • Just finished Education Under Fire. It's about how nations like Iran and North Korea forbid allowing their citizens to get formal education as a weapon against people of different ( in Iran) or in North Korea any religious beliefs.
  • Btw, the author asks this question like how Mathis asks Bond "what's keeping you awake?"
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ultrabox wrote:
    I've just started rereading him. He was one of my favorites when I was younger but I haven't read any of his books as an adult. I'm sort of going through the more notable ones now. I just read The Stand this time last year and really enjoyed it.
    My best friend breezed madly through all of his Dark Tower books in just a month or two. He is an outstanding reader that I truly envy. I would get too side tracked to focus on a book that much, though I love reading and gaining new knowledge or enjoying a good story as much as the next guy.

Wow, that's a lot to read in a short amount of time. I used to be a slow paced reader, but since pretty much all I do now is read and write stories for school and personal projects I quickened on both accounts in a little little over a years time. I still have to get to the Dark Towers, and I'm looking forward to them, I just have a bunch more on I need to read before I get to them. Among those, The Fall (The Strain #2) by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo DelTorro, No Remorse by Ian Walkerly (which reviews often compare with a Bond book/99cent download on Kindle), From Russia With Love, The Standoff by Chuck Hogan, and Sacred by Dennis Lehane. Man, I need to get going. @-)
    Now I'm reading Physics of the Impossible whose author, Michio Kaku, was recommended to me by @DarthDimi. Thank you again!
  • now reading The James Bond Archives(up to Goldfinger) and Grindhouse: The Forbidden World of "Adults Only" Cinema
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Space Vampires by Colin Wilson

One of my little pleasures in horror/sci-fi is the Tobe Hooper film 'Lifeforce'. It is based on this book and so I decided to give it a try. :-)
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    John Dies At The End. I'll read The Stand next, promise :P But I've had this for months and I really wanted to get into it.

Sort of a horror parody, pretty good so far.
    Ali wrote:
    Live & Let Die......but getting a little bored already! Sorry!

Before that it was Michael Connolly's Black Ice and Tom Clancy's Locked On. Yes, both were airport purchases, how did you guess?! I like Connolly's Harry Bosch (who I imagine as James Garner for some reason). Just a down to earth police procedure novel, much like all the other ones but very readable. Clancy's Locked On? Bit shit really. In fact, more than just a bit. I'm not even convinced he has any input to these books bar his name nowadays.

Oh I LOVED Black Ice. Maybe my favourite Connelly's novel. I like him, but my favourite crime write is George Pelecanos.
    DarthDimi wrote:

One of my little pleasures in horror/sci-fi is the Tobe Hooper film 'Lifeforce'. It is based on this book and so I decided to give it a try. :-)

The book and the dvd are both favorites of mine, the book is better.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    After again re-watching BBC's masterpiece Sherlock series, I was hungrier than ever to get back to Conan Doyle. I read A Scandal in Bohemia after I finished The Reichenbach Fall yesterday, and can't wait to get back into all my favorite stories again.
  • Am currently about halfway through Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia (2010) by Michael Korda. Excellent so far.

I wasn't aware that the real Lawrence was only 5 feet 5 inches tall... Shorter than Napoleon (and certainly Peter O'Toole)!
    SaintMark wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

I agree, @SaintMark. Up until now, I'd only seen the film but the book walks away with my ultimate preference. Two things the film has over the book: the great Mancini score and... a young, naked Mathilda May. ;-)
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    DarthDimi wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

I agree, @SaintMark. Up until now, I'd only seen the film but the book walks away with my ultimate preference. Two things the film has over the book: the great Mancini score and... a young, naked Mathilda May. ;-)

Probably the reason I bought the film in the first place! Must try and get hold of the book sometime!
    The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlQHc5-ZnmjaCaQoPwbXCt8Qx_fqiQCwSygeXdON_6gCYDxph2

Marvellous book! None of the film adaptations come close to capturing the grand master's vision and choice of words. Unlike the films, the book carries a lot of nuance and genuine horror. The writings are intelligent and make for a great read. Highly recommended!
    Abba Abba by Anthony Burgess. Brilliant.
    Now with The Sicilian Mafia by Diego Gambetta. After previously reading some material on the history of cosa nostra, this is a fresh approach. It's a sociological and economic analysis of the mafia viewed as a business of extortion.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Getting toward the end of A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin.
    Took me a little while to get right into it, but am now fully immersed in the world Martin has created. Not seen any of the tv series have just ordered the blu-ray box set of Seasons 1 & 2 - which will hopefully give me something decent to watch when itv plug up the evenings with bloody football!
    Also have books 2 and 3 on the bedside table pile of books-to-be-read!
    @DarthDimi - have just finished TTM as well (on iBooks via iPhone) and thought the same as you.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Getting toward the end of A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin.
    Took me a little while to get right into it, but am now fully immersed in the world Martin has created. Not seen any of the tv series have just ordered the blu-ray box set of Seasons 1 & 2 - which will hopefully give me something decent to watch when itv plug up the evenings with bloody football!
    Also have books 2 and 3 on the bedside table pile of books-to-be-read!
    @DarthDimi - have just finished TTM as well (on iBooks via iPhone) and thought the same as you.

I'm also reaching the end of A Game of Thrones, it's interesting that we seem to have a similar experience with it. It also took me a while to get into it and I haven't watched anything of the series as well.