The 4 definitive Bond actors: Sean Connery, Roger Moore Daniel Craig and Pierce Brosnan

13»

Comments

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    It seems to me that what this thread is about (or at least intended to be about) is which actors do Joe Public identify with the character.

In that respect Sean and Rog are light years ahead of anyone else.

If the question 'Name an actor who played James Bond?' appeared on a game show I would still expect Sean and Rog to be top answer and Dan coming in third because he is the incumbent and neither of them have played Bond for over 30 years.

The only thing Pierce really has going for him is he's recent. In another 30 years Sean will still be remembered and probably Rog. Dan and Pierce? Not so sure.

But then as the older generation die off will people who grew up with Pierce and Dan forget Sean? Possibly I suppose.

But currently I would have them in this order of resonance with the public:

1. Sean - he was definitive.
    2. Rog - Did it his way to the extent that created a new definitive of his own.
    3. Dan - The current holder which works strongly in his favour but also a pair of films (CR and SF) that are highly regarded by the public at large.
    4. Pierce - 2nd most recent which means most people remember him and GE ticked all the Bond boxes the public like but the rest of his films have been forgotten. Don't think time will be kind to him.
    5. Laz - Remembered for the novelty factors of doing only one, following Sean and Bond getting married.
    6. Dalts - A lot of the public have already forgotten him and his films which were hardly spectacularly received at the time. Only well regarded amongst the fandom.

Maybe Tomorrow never dies and The world is not enogh are slightly forgotten but many do remeber Die Another Day because of Halley Berry, The Ice Palace and the Aston Martin.

Yes i know the script wasn't the greatest but i think the film is well remembered and Pierce's popualrity well big part is also because of his great looks many woman loved him because he was the most attractive.

Pierce's fan base i bet is mostly woman( including me)

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    It seems to me that what this thread is about (or at least intended to be about) is which actors do Joe Public identify with the character.

If the question 'Name an actor who played James Bond?' appeared on a game show I would still expect Sean and Rog to be top answer and Dan coming in third because he is the incumbent and neither of them have played Bond for over 30 years.

The only thing Pierce really has going for him is he's recent. In another 30 years Sean will still be remembered and probably Rog. Dan and Pierce? Not so sure.

But then as the older generation die off will people who grew up with Pierce and Dan forget Sean? Possibly I suppose.

3. Dan - The current holder which works strongly in his favour but also a pair of films (CR and SF) that are highly regarded by the public at large.
    4. Pierce - 2nd most recent which means most people remember him and GE ticked all the Bond boxes the public like but the rest of his films have been forgotten. Don't think time will be kind to him.
    5. Laz - Remembered for the novelty factors of doing only one, following Sean and Bond getting married.
    6. Dalts - A lot of the public have already forgotten him and his films which were hardly spectacularly received at the time. Only well regarded amongst the fandom.
    Very well said. I tend to agree with everything, except Sean & Rog will likely never be forgotten. Too unique.

The fact that Moore was referenced in True Detective 2 by Vince Vaughn's character ("You've got this Roger Moore thing huh? - Johnny Unflappable") all these years later says it all.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Oh no, I'm caught in the crossfire between Brady and Getafix. :)) Since I'm my writing skills aren't up to par with either of yours I'll try to be short with this. Anyway Since I'm one of Pierce's biggest fans let me tell you a story. It was 1997, my Dad, God rest his soul. Rented a movie. It was GoldenEye. Now my only Bond experience at the time was the N64 game of the same name and it was awesome. Now to see the movie that inspired it. MIND BLOWN. With any Bond movie Bond tends to be the first thing you notice. I noticed Pierce right away. He has the look and the IT factor. He was Bond from the moment I saw him and he was great in GoldenEye. In fact he's great in all of his Bond films, even Die Another Day which has recently dropped to my least favorite but let me be clear why. (Not because of Pierce.) I blame bad writing and directing on that one. But the first half was pretty solid to be far.

Now, on to Pierce himself. No he's not the greatest actor in the world but he was born to play Bond. For the generation of 90's youth, his Bond was the Gateway into the franchise and I'm thankful for it. As Brady mentioned, Most Bond actors are pretty self deprecating towards themselves. Especially Moore. He claims he's the worst Bond and I disagree. I think he's one of the Best. When Pierce says similar things, I respectfully disagree. Pierce Brosnan was MY Bond and his movies provided me with much fun and entertainment I am truly happy for. Being in 3 excellent Bond movies, 1 mediocre one and 1 awesome videogame was a great Bond career, shame it had to end so soon. Thanks Pierce for bringing me into the Bond franchise.

With all that out of the way, I'd like to address these quotes by @Getafix.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Sorry some don't like to hear the truth about Brosnan but I'm not going to stop just because a few people get their knickers in a twist about how great Pierce was.

Any way, I took a long break from spreading the truth about Brosnan in order to tell people how bad SF was.

There is no truth to your opinions on Pierce. Whatever points you bothered to point out are just your nitpicks. Though I don't really recall you pointing anything out. You would just bash the guy, get called out on whatever your "truths" on him are and runaway to another thread to bash him. Wash, rinse, repeat. I don't have a problem that you don't like Pierce's Bond though. Quite a few people on this forum don't and that's okay. But here's what's not okay. Spamming the same opinions in multiple threads and some of which that don't even make a mention of the man. I know one recent member likes to do that about Roger. I think I've said enough. It's fine not to like him but don't hammer in your opinions to the point you have a few screws loose. You're opinions on Pierce aren't facts or truths they are what they are opinions.

• edited June 2016 Posts: 11,425

A fair assessment and I would agree with pretty much everything apart from that you haven't allowed for my predicted resurgence in Dalton popularity, which I reckon is due around 2050 by when he will be seen as on a par with Rog and Sean.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited June 2016 Posts: 2,721

I think that with the wider public Connery will always be remembered (also because he's tied in to Britmania of the the 60s so he's kind of iconic and also latterly Austin Powers mimicked much of Connery era Bond especially YOLT - volcano lair, dr evil etc) but I get the feeling that Roger may have already started to fade a little. Although Maybe better known in the UK. I'd say Craig, Brosnan, Connery and then Roger would be the most widely known by name by general public especially for the under 30s. I could be completely wrong - but it's just my general feeling.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I think that with the wider public Connery will always be remembered (also because he's tied in to Britmania of the the 60s so he's kind of iconic and also latterly Austin Powers mimicked much of Connery era Bond especially YOLT - volcano lair, dr evil etc) but I get the feeling that Roger may have already started to fade a little. Although Maybe better known in the UK. I'd say Craig, Brosnan, Connery and then Roger would be the most widely known by name by general public especially for the under 30s. I could be completely wrong - but it's just my general feeling.

Well if you want to break it down into age groups then obviously the under 30s will rate Pierce up there because they grew up with him and Dan second because he is current.

Same as if you asked my gran she only knew Sean and Rog.

She saw CR, QOS and SF and her complaint was always the same: 'I prefer Roger Moore.'
    Definitive to who? People who have seen only GF, TSWLM, GE and SF, if even that? Then, sure, I guess.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 2,721

Well if you want to break it down into age groups then obviously the under 30s will rate Pierce up there because they grew up with him and Dan second because he is current.

Same as if you asked my gran she only knew Sean and Rog.

She saw CR, QOS and SF and her complaint was always the same: 'I prefer Roger Moore.'

My point wasn't to break it down by age. My point was I'd say the general public - as a median across the ages and cultures - would name Connery, Brosnan and Craig quicker than they would Moore (except UK perhaps). Because Connery is tied in with 60s iconography in a way that Moore isn't. Moore isn't indelibly tied in with 70s iconography in the same way. So even young people would recognise Connery as an icon of the 60s. Same with music connected with The Beatles or style is connected with Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffanys. So I was addressing your comment that over time people would forget Connery - I just think they'd forget Moore quicker.
    I disagree. Moore is up there with Connery as being indelibly linked with Bond forever in my view. Everyone knows and will always know these two because their films have by far and away the most iconic elements of the film franchise. By far.

Those elements and their respective different approaches to portraying the character continue to be aped in movie franchises today, and that will only go on, because they are so quintessential.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I disagree. Moore is up there with Connery as being indelibly linked with Bond forever in my view. Everyone knows and will always know these two because their films have by far and away the most iconic elements of the film franchise. By far.

Those elements and their respective different approaches to portraying the character continue to be aped in movie franchises today, and that will only go on, because they are so quintessential.

I'd argue that Connery is an icon who transcends being Bond - and instead is connected with the 60s as a whole. In the same way that many people know who James Dean is without ever having seen a film of his (sit them down in front of something as ponderous as 'Giant' and they would be asleep within half an hour). Connery also was a movie star and academy award winner outside of Bond - Untouchables, Hunt for Red October, The Rock and especially as Henry Jones Senior - so he would be in the forefront of people's minds. I'm not talking about people who have even watched a Bond film - just the average person's awareness of Bond - once again I'd like to make the notable exception of the UK in this. Moore, and Bond by extension, will always be more readily identifiable in the UK.

I'd argue that Connery is an icon who transcends being Bond - and instead is connected with the 60s as a whole. In the same way that many people know who James Dean is without ever having seen a film of his (sit them down in front of something as ponderous as 'Giant' and they would be asleep within half an hour). Connery also was a movie star and academy award winner outside of Bond - Untouchables, Hunt for Red October, The Rock and especially as Henry Jones Senior - so he would be in the forefront of people's minds. I'm not talking about people who have even watched a Bond film - just the average person's awareness of Bond - once again I'd like to make the notable exception of the UK in this. Moore, and Bond by extension, will always be more readily identifiable in the UK.
    Yes. Connery as a person is more iconic than Moore no doubt, and he does transcend Bond. Moore does not, as he sort of retired post-Bond. People associate him with The Saint, The Persuaders, and then Bond.

However, Moore had a long run as Bond during the 70's and 80's and is firmly associated with that era, not successor Dalton, who had limited commercial appeal in the US. Then there was the long gap until Brosnan took over. During that entire timeframe (early 70's to mid 90's) I'd argue that people still mainly associated James Bond with Roger Moore, at least Stateside. The iconic elements in his earlier pre-Glen films are very memorable, and as mentioned, still copied to this day.

So when people specifically think James Bond (as opposed to the broader 60's British invasion), Moore is still an unforgettable aspect.

It's a good point you mention about fame outside of Bond. I don't know if that necessarily helps a Bond actor's association with the character. I'd argue that Craig is more connected to Bond than other actors, because most people outside of the UK know him primarily for this franchise. The same goes for Moore.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

Yes. Connery as a person is more iconic than Moore no doubt, and he does transcend Bond. Moore does not, as he sort of retired post-Bond. People associate him with The Saint, The Persuaders, and then Bond.

However, Moore had a long run as Bond during the 70's and 80's and is firmly associated with that era, not successor Dalton, who had limited commercial appeal in the US. Then there was the long gap until Brosnan took over. During that entire timeframe (early 70's to mid 90's) I'd argue that people still mainly associated James Bond with Roger Moore, at least Stateside. The iconic elements in his earlier pre-Glen films are very memorable, and as mentioned, still copied to this day.

So when people specifically think James Bond (as opposed to the broader 60's British invasion), Moore is still an unforgettable aspect.

It's a good point you mention about fame outside of Bond. I don't know if that necessarily helps a Bond actor's association with the character. I'd argue that Craig is more connected to Bond than other actors, because most people outside of the UK know him primarily for this franchise. The same goes for Moore.

And Moore also set many of the elements Bond is associated with like : the light heart feel,
    ( Sean was light hearted but his films felt more like Hitchcock Bond flicks), most of the double enteder jokes and Bond finishing with the girl in bed.

So for that Roger is still very iconic in his own way and If im not mistaken Sean's career post Bond really took of like 2 decades latter after Bond and again need confirmation from tge experts but the only good film Connery had in his prime without Bond was Marnie directed by Hitchcock.

So they were almost equally iconic in their prime its just that Sean had a second chance many years latter which makes him in the long run a much more popular actor.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The occasional viewer might only know Sean, Rog and Dan (maybe Pierce too). But tell me again why we should even care about the occasional viewer?

Sounds like the occasional football fan who only knows Messi, Cristiano, Zlatan and his/her own country's star but in fact doesn't understand the game in the slightest.

If we're talking film/Bond, I only care for people's opinion if they know the full picture. The others I'm glad to enlighten first before going any further.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Getafix wrote: »
    Your thoughts are fair, @Getafix, but I don't think anyone here is trying to make excuses for Pierce.

The biggest Brosnan fans I know are @Murdock and @Creasy47, two tested and cemented Bond fans across the board, and they just so happen to have Pierce as their favorites. I have never seen them or any other Brosnan supporters on this forum ever ignore Pierce's comments or try to lie their way out of an argument or deny anything, period, because it wouldn't matter to them.

It's simple: they just love Pierce's portrayal, and I know for both Murdock and Creasy, he was their Bond because he was in the role as they grew up, and he brought them into the franchise as a whole, and because of that, he holds a special place in their hearts. What he did, no matter how unimpressive you find his efforts, spoke to them, and nothing anyone thinks, even Pierce himself, will sway that love they have for the era.

I don't see what the big conspiracy is here, or why you imagine the Brosnan fans all getting together to deny Pierce's comments on the role or play dumb to avoid arguments. When you love something, you never make excuses for it, as you are implying some Brosnan fans do, because that love blinds you to negatives and anything that would have to be excused in the first place, regardless of if they're there or not, as it's all subjective.

They're all just trying to enjoy their favorite Bond without doing anything to anyone else, and for some reason, that seems to really irk you. I wonder how it would feel if a member on the forum posted each day a diatribe about how Dalton was the worst casting decision EON ever made, how he belittled Fleming's creation and was a sorry excuse for a Bond, citing the greatest moment in the franchise's history as when the hiatus happened and flushed him out.

It's different to be on the other side of the firing line, to have the sights aimed at you, and by far and away Brosnan's fans get attacked more than anyone else here, when they do the least to deserve it, and the attackers use every opportunity to rub their personal truths about the man's work in their faces. How about we just let them enjoy Pierce and his work? Is that really so hard to do? Because at this point, it feels less like you're trying to have a discourse and more like you simply want to get your jollies off smiting Pierce for the thousandth time. If you're worried that your voice isn't heard by the Brosnan fans (or any of us, for that matter), don't, because we have known your feelings about Pierce for years and years now.

Chillax. I personally enjoy hearing people take a swipe at Dalton. Or any of the actors. It's always amusing seeing what people think. Especially when they say GF is rubbish or Connery looks bored in YOLT - crazy stuff like that. If this site was just people droning on about how much they loved Dan's speedos and his amazing acting it would be utterly tedious.

Sorry some don't like to hear the truth about Brosnan but I'm not going to stop just because a few people get their knickers in a twist about how great Pierce was.

I have to say there's only one thing I find more absurd than the claim 'everything is subjective' and that's when members on here try and tell each other what they should or should not be posting about.

Any way, I took a long break from spreading the truth about Brosnan in order to tell people how bad SF was. Now I hear quite a lot of people saying the same about SF as I've been saying from the start - I.e. overrated, incoherent plot hole ridden mess.

As I say, I utterly disagree with the thread title and thesis that Brosnan's Bond was 'definitive' in any way whatsoever. Popular yes. Definitive no. They are very different things.

Brosnan. Popular yes. Definitive no. He isn't definitive because his films never allowed him to inhabit the role. He simply copied a little Connery impression here and Moore impression there without being his own man.