You Me At Six to write a Bond theme

edited October 2011 in News Posts: 1,894
Adele might be the fan favourite to write the theme for BOND 23/SKYFALL, but that hasn't stopped British rockers You Me At Six from throwing their name into the ring. In a UStream broadcast for their latest album, <i>Sinners Never Sleep</i>, the band have said that they are looking to write a James Bond theme song and that they feel they have a good chance of being selected.

This one is as thin as it gets, ladies and gentlemen. I don't have a source to back this up. All I've got is an unsolicited and unsourced edit to a Wikipedia page from an IP address. There are no news articles that I can find, and the UStream broadcast appears not to have been saved (I'm not too familiar with it). But I've been playing the Wikipedia game long enough to know a fan edit when I see one:
<blockquote>You Me at Six announced on their recent UStream that they were going to write the official single for Bond 23 over the next coming weeks, despite only releasing their third album Sinners Never Sleep recently.</blockquote>
It reads like something a fan wrote, and while it was both unsolicited and unsourced, it appears to be a genuine contribution rather than an example of vandalism. If sourced, this would have been left in the article.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited October 2011 Posts: 268
    These guys werent half bad! The should be a good fit for a bond-theme :)

I still think Adele is a lock though...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Let's see:

One artist / group of artists can perform the OT theme song. Another can perform the ET song. And we'll probably be looking for yet another to perform the theme song to the next video game. So there's certainly room in the music booth left for these guys.
    This isn't the thread for suggesting title performers - we already have one of those. This thread is for discussing You Me At Six's plans to write a Bond theme.
    to be fair though this is a bit a of a waste. I heard a similar rumor that Sam Mendes is a big prog rock fan and wants Rush or yes to do it but I have yet to create a thread about it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    to be fair though this is a bit a of a waste. I heard a similar rumor that Sam Mendes is a big prog rock fan and wants Rush or yes to do it but I have yet to create a thread about it.
    Rush...t-to do a theme song for Bond 23?...

This may be the greatest Bond ever, if it's true.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Just throwing this into the discussion mix: I don't really care all that much who does the theme song, as long as it's good. I was enthusiastic when Madonna got announced... and repulsed when I first heard the song. I wasn't enthusiastic when Chris Cornell got announced... and more than pleased when I first heard the song.

Just saying. ;;)
    Rush...t-to do a theme song for Bond 23?...

This may be the greatest Bond ever, if it's true.
    What about yes?

the only reason I even bring it up here is well I'll post what was written to me

"Hey Dan,

Yeah about the Fall US Yes tour the promoters wanted it but the band backed away. Why you ask? Because apparently (Trevor) Rabin had heard Sam Mendes wants a prog band for the bond theme so Yes started working on there song for 007 in September, You know the process convince Chris to get out of the tub, make sure Steve is awake etc... lol. Anyways I'm not saying Yes is doing the theme I am saying yes are recording songs one of which they are sending off to the producers. I do know Frontiers wants the follow up to Fly From here ASAP considering how well it sold I know Rabin's producing the early sessions but I don't know if he's doing the production on the follow up or if it will be Mr. Horn. Also there will be a winter tour sorry you missed the first US leg of the Fly From Here tour But on the second us leg they are gonna play a lot more from the album.

Peace Love and protection from No Jon No Yessers.

Matt"

My friend is usually on the ball he knew the set list to the 35th anniversary tour months in advance and knew Benoit David would Replace Jon Anderson a few weeks before the In the Present tour was announced and knew Geoff Downes was replacing Oliver Wakeman.. He doesn't say they are a lock and indeed they aren't but they are submitting a song and I assume Rush is but i Don't know and I'd doubt Matt would know. but if you want Creasy47 I can ask him.
    To be honest, for the big 50, I don't see Eon going with something like this. They tried their alternative music types for Bond in the past (QoS, and sure CR too) and I don't see them furthering their experimentation. I think they'll go for Adele or someone similarly traditional, at least for 23. But a video game, I can see YM@6 doing that.