Bond Movie Cover Art Discussion Thread. (Best and Worst)

13»

Comments

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Some rare VHS covers (from 007HomeVideo)

iOog28c.jpg
    tn0S5Xq.jpg
    9iSSDYN.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Those are really cool, thanks for sharing. :) I like the one for TSWLM and OP.
    Some rare VHS covers (from 007HomeVideo)

iOog28c.jpg
    tn0S5Xq.jpg
    9iSSDYN.jpg

I have that VHS edition of TSWLM
    I remember all those VHS covers as I owned the majority of them at one time.

I was never a huge fan of the photo montages. I much prefer these ones that used the orginal poster artwork.

6678881853_f3585feeef_b.jpg

6694512463_2b49154e07_b.jpg

6678498265_fc5653331d_b.jpg

And there's this Thunderball laser disc boxset, which I still own.

s-l300.jpg
    I owned a lot of those VHS copies aswell (though they weren't the widescreen versions).
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,117
    My favourites are still the first ever widescreen versions of TB and YOLT from the early 90s:

obsessional.co.uk/cover%20mgmvideo2.jpg

assets.catawiki.nl/assets/1/c/c/9/cc9752c0-f35e-012c-99bc-0050569428b1.jpg

Simple. No f**king about with repetitive shots of Bond holding a gun like we have been plagued with for the last 30 years. Just the poster and job done.

Although as I recall, predictably, they didnt release the whole lot like this. First we got DN to YOLT but as DN, FRWL and GF werent shot in Panavision I only got TB and YOLT.

Later I think we got the rest but it was a drip feed over a good year at least. For some reason we never got OHMSS (I think it was still the black sheep of the series even back then) and had to wait for the never bettered box set with mini 007 magazine and photos of George.

I remember a few years back now (pre the release of the blu ray box set) someone on here did a full set of poster based blu ray covers that were the absolute dogs. Any ideas who @Murdock as you seem to be the resident expert here on this subject.

Wouldn't make much difference these days as the final posters are just shitty photoshop efforts of Bond holding a gun.

Although the DAD, QOS and SF teasers would make decent covers. The CR teaser box set is very nice and the SP teaser is the best of an awful bunch but we already have that.
    @TheWizardOfIce, I'm afraid I don't remember. Do you have any examples these covers you speak of to show?

Shame we here in the US didn't get Poster themed covers. Though I am rather fond of what we had as I enjoy the simplicity of it. They were all very vague covers that didn't give you any idea on what the film would be about. They remind me of Pulp novel covers. Still better than a lot of the Bland stuff we get today.
    They were basically a full set similar to the YOLT, OHMSS and TB ones @bondsum posted above.

They are definitely in a thread somewhere on here although I have no idea who did them.

Murdock wrote: »

Some of those Brady ones are pretty good but I remember it was the whole lot.

I'm thinking it must be that list by @AgentJamesBond007 but the images are no longer hosted so who knows??
    A couple years ago I found a low resolution image of the full artwork that was one of the TMWTGG VHS artworks. Thanks to the power of picture enhancing and upscaling software, It is my pleasure to present the full textless alternate VHS artwork for The Man with the Golden Gun.

yNwmXyu.png
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Always loved that one. Good job.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    Murdock wrote: »
    A couple years ago I found a low resolution image of the full artwork that was one of the TMWTGG VHS artworks. Thanks to the power of picture enhancing and upscaling software, It is my pleasure to present the full textless alternate VHS artwork for The Man with the Golden Gun.

yNwmXyu.png

I'm a big fan of those 90's VHS covers. For some strange reason they changed TMWTGG and OP for the DVD special edition's, it wasn't an improvement.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    If I'm correct they also changed GE.
    Thought GE was an improvement, TMWTGG a status quo (love them both), but OP's VHS cover was a million times better than the DVD one.
    The original Octopussy cover is the only one I don't have. I made one using a VHS scan but based on some DVD covers that utilize it, there is more to it than what we've seen.