idea for new Bond actor

Why not hire a stuntman as Bond?

The first Bond to do all his own stunts. That would be amazing. Lazenby showed being a 'professional' actor is overrated and any new Bond will have to learn on the job regardless.

So much better than getting some pretty boy who couldn't beat a 10 year old in a fight.

Comments

A stuntman should not be cast as Bond.

Lazenby is the biggest obstacle standing in the way of OHMSS being the best Bond film of them all. The man playing Bond has to be able to act. Bond films shouldn't be so action-oriented that a stuntman could play Bond. If anything, the action needs to be seriously dialed back, possibly to the point where a stuntman would be needed very little.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Let's call Lee Majors
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 562
    dalton wrote: »
    A stuntman should not be cast as Bond.

Lazenby is the biggest obstacle standing in the way of OHMSS being the best Bond film of them all. The man playing Bond has to be able to act. Bond films shouldn't be so action-oriented that a stuntman could play Bond. If anything, the action needs to be seriously dialed back, possibly to the point where a stuntman would be needed very little.

Disagree on both counts. Lazenby gave a great performance.

Craig needed a double to fight obanno and for the the construction site chase in CR. You're saying you don't want scenes like this? Moore needed stunt doubles to walk across the road. There's loads of times stunt doubles are needed in Bond.
    And an actor was needed for the majority of the scenes in a film like CR. Think about how much time Daniel Craig spends on screen in CR and then replace him with someone who can't act, which is what we'd be doing by casting a stuntman. CR would go from being a top shelf Bond film to being a lower-tier entry.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Slightly off topic though on theme of stuntmen, would have been great if Hal Needham had directed a Bond film. He kind of directed Bond in the Cannonball Run.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 562
    @dalton Obviously the stuntman must have some nouse for acting, but they should get someone to teach them to be Bond like Terrence Young did for Connery.
    I believe reviews for either OP and AVTAK referred to Roger Moore as an occasional stand-in for the stuntman. By that rationale, 007 was actually played by Martin Grace in AVTAK.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    Some people are too passionate at their hatred of the fun-oriented Bond. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

To be fair I did get a laugh out of Roger Mortis. :))
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

To be fair I did get a laugh out of Roger Mortis. :))
    That I agree with. Funny one. :D
    One never knows. Some actors got their start in the business as stuntmen. Find a good Bond candidate who also happened to work in the stunt field and maybe. However, I seriously doubt that person would be allowed to perform most of their own stunts.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I know @Thelivingroyale was a big advocate of Scott Adkins.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Why not hire a stuntman as Bond?

The first Bond to do all his own stunts. That would be amazing. Lazenby showed being a 'professional' actor is overrated and any new Bond will have to learn on the job regardless.

So much better than getting some pretty boy who couldn't beat a 10 year old in a fight.

Er. Because he needs to be able to act and stuntmen are their to protect actors and for insurance purposes.