Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, kind of makes me wish I'd have just bought the original GTAs before they were gone, but at this point in my life I just don't have a desire to play them. With how dated they are, I wouldn't be able to enjoy them for what they were at the time, and I'd just hold modern expectations against them. I missed my chance to play them around their initial release because I was just a little too young, and I never went back when I was old enough. Definitely think I missed my window to be able to appreciate them properly at this point. Ah well.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Creasy47, kind of makes me wish I'd have just bought the original GTAs before they were gone, but at this point in my life I just don't have a desire to play them. With how dated they are, I wouldn't be able to enjoy them for what they were at the time, and I'd just hold modern expectations against them. I missed my chance to play them around their initial release because I was just a little too young, and I never went back when I was old enough. Definitely think I missed my window to be able to appreciate them properly at this point. Ah well.

It's really disappointing that you can't. It's literally their choice to remove the original, superior version of the titles to make way for a vastly inferior cash grab. I'm glad I already had them owned and completed, but damn, what a spit in the face to their fanbase.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Par for the course for Rockstar these days, unfortunately. I actually feel guilty enjoying RDR2 these days, knowing what I'm supporting.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm all but positive the reason these ports are terrible was to drive more people to GTA Online. It's obvious Rockstar has no love for their older properties.
    @Agent007391, the hilarious thing for me is that my first reaction whenever I saw footage from that trilogy was, "God, these look like bad mobile games," and that's literally what they are. I couldn't believe Rockstar and Take Two entrusted some of their most beloved games to people who do mobile games. As you said, they clearly don't care and knew they'd make $$$ no matter what. What an obnoxious joke they've become. I can see why so many high level people have been leaving in the last few years. Seems like the company has undergone a gradual and sickening culture change across the last ten years.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 13,866
    I'm in a quandry. My PSN subscription runs out next month, but in the current Black Friday sales, a 12 month subscription can be had for £33. But I don't know if it's worth it. I don't play online that much now. When I bought my PS4 back in 2017, I soon became part of a small group, about 5 of us, that played online together regularly. I left the group about 2 years ago, and since then, my interest in online gaming has dwindled. It hasn't helped that Sony have made finding reliable players, much harder, by taking down the communities section of the Playstation dashboard. The online storage is great, but I have a 1TB external storage (my PS4 is a 500mb model), currently used for Application Data. If I reduce the amount of games I juggle at a time, I could store Application Data on the PS4, and Save Data on the external storage. Not to mention that the money saved on the PSN subscription, could be put towards a single player game. Lastly, I can't say that the free games have been of much interest. Most of the, I already own on disc, or are games that aren't my thing.

Basically, has anyone turned their back on online gaming, to focus on single player games?
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    I’ve never played online. I still subscribe though as my boys do play online. Also the monthly games are a great boon

Are you considering getting a PS5 at any point?

If yes, then I’d say hang on to your subscription!
    As a PSN member, on the PS5 you get access to an absolutely stacked collection of classic and genuinely great PS4 games. It’s called the PS Plus collection. These are the games you get:

Batman: Arkham Knight
    Battlefield 1
    Bloodborne
    Call of Duty Black Ops III Zombies Chronicles
    Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
    Days Gone
    Detroit: Become Human
    Fallout 4
    Final Fantasy XV
    God of War
    inFAMOUS: Second Son
    The Last Guardian
    The Last of Us Remastered
    Monster Hunter: World
    Mortal Kombat X
    Persona 5
    Ratchet & Clank
    Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    Until Dawn

@MajorDSmythe, that's a tough call. I've definitely been gaming less and less as I grow older, and that's just the nature of the beast. Time is fickle the more you grow up, as life just happens and gone are the days when time was endless. I've also realized in a rather depressing fashion just how empty a hobby gaming can be. I play a game to escape a bad day or feeling, but at the end of it all I don't really accomplish much. All the time I could be spending playing games, I could be writing or drawing, or doing anything that could help advance me in a more practical and beneficial way. It's a hobby I love, of course, but I feel I've leaned too heavy on it in the past. It became a crutch at my worst times, more of a way of forgetting about my life than actually dealing with my problems properly. That's something that'll be different for everyone, though. I refuse to believe others are as pathetic at this "life" business as I am.

As for online gaming, I still play online, but only Red Dead Online these days when I do, and that's not because I like to, it's just that it's the only way to play that experience. I would much rather have all the things an online experience can have, freedom with a created character and lots of activities to partake in, but would rather do it all alone. It's far more often the case that others ruin an experience while gaming online, instead of enhancing it in any way. I can't count the amount of times I've had to stop what I'm doing because a 12 year old that just made an account hopped online and thought he was Wyatt Earp and wanted to try and be a hot shot with random people. It comes with the territory, unfortunately. I wish playing with others was more fun, but the only way you really achieve that is through playing with your actual friends, and those are few and far between for me. Doing anything with strangers is just asking for the roof to collapse on your head.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Far Cry 6.

Pretty much copy and paste from previous installments but set in a Cuba-like atmosphere.

It ain't stopping me from blowing crap up for hours on end.
    @Last_Rat_Standing, I'll say this for Ubisoft: you can never say you didn't know what you were getting. ;-)
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 12,235
    Personally I barely play any games online. Of the main 3 consoles out on the market, I only have a Switch, since Nintendo games have the most special and center place in my heart (but I do refuse to buy their online subscription given how overpriced it is for poor quality). I do have tons of Steam games for my computer as well, and I did use to play some stuff like Rocket League or TF2 online, but I've found it so much more peaceful and satisfying to play either totally on my own or co-op with close friends like my siblings. From my perspective, online is just not worth the trouble. It's extra money, even if it may not seem like a lot, there's lag, toxic people, and internet problems. I'm much more content playing Zelda in solitude or Mario Party with just my good real-life friends.

Latest games I've been playing speaking of Nintendo are WarioWare: Get It Together! and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, both of which are great entries for their respective series. WarioWare is just as quirky and fun and true to the series as ever, though completing some of the challenges has caused me to lose hair. Skyward Sword definitely deserved this second shot, as I find it FAR superior to the original Wii version now that I can just use nice button controls. It has an awesome story too.
    I'm in a quandry. My PSN subscription runs out next month, but in the current Black Friday sales, a 12 month subscription can be had for £33. But I don't know if it's worth it. I don't play online that much now. When I bought my PS4 back in 2017, I soon became part of a small group, about 5 of us, that played online together regularly. I left the group about 2 years ago, and since then, my interest in online gaming has dwindled. It hasn't helped that Sony have made finding reliable players, much harder, by taking down the communities section of the Playstation dashboard. The online storage is great, but I have a 1TB external storage (my PS4 is a 500mb model), currently used for Application Data. If I reduce the amount of games I juggle at a time, I could store Application Data on the PS4, and Save Data on the external storage. Not to mention that the money saved on the PSN subscription, could be put towards a single player game. Lastly, I can't say that the free games have been of much interest. Most of the, I already own on disc, or are games that aren't my thing.

Basically, has anyone turned their back on online gaming, to focus on single player games?

That’s how I’ve been doing it lately. I renewed PS Plus about two months back and have no intention of renewing, unless the free monthly games seem worth the price. I don’t have much time for online gaming anymore and it pisses me off when I do, so I don’t really bother. I’d like to try the new Battlefield at some point but I hear it’s a garbage, broken mess, so I doubt I’ll bother.
    My biggest problem, gaming wise, is that all my favorite kinds of games, open world sandboxes, require more of the one resource I have so little of these days: time.

There's a big part of me that wants so badly to go back and try for the third time to beat The Witcher 3, for example, but then when I stop and take in the enormity of such a task I immediately start my retreat. I just don't know if I have the ambition, motivation and time in equal measures to do that like I once could've. You just reach a point in life where your circumstances have outgrown your hobby.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    @Last_Rat_Standing, I'll say this for Ubisoft: you can never say you didn't know what you were getting. ;-)

Exactly. FC6 is a hybrid of 5 and New Dawn. But riding a 1950s car through the coastline of the island is the closest you feel like Bond in DAD. I've been playing for multiple hours a week and they've definitely increased the amount to do.
    @Last_Rat_Standing, I just want to fast forward to whatever time we get IO's Bond game, as that's really all I'm looking forward to outside of a few titles here and there. Do I dare to look forward to a video game in 2021? I think I may...
    @Last_Rat_Standing, I just want to fast forward to whatever time we get IO's Bond game, as that's really all I'm looking forward to outside of a few titles here and there. Do I dare to look forward to a video game in 2021? I think I may...

I have a PS2 hooked up in my son's room. At least I can play the gems of the early to mid 2000s Bond games
  • Lately it's been FPS season, played through CoD: Vanguard and really enjoyed the campaign. Played a few hours of Battlefield 2042 on the free trial.. I'm enjoying it despite all the bad word of mouth, though playing free helps! And got a few rounds of Halo Infinite multiplayer - impressive stuff so far!
    Lately it's been FPS season, played through CoD: Vanguard and really enjoyed the campaign. Played a few hours of Battlefield 2042 on the free trial.. I'm enjoying it despite all the bad word of mouth, though playing free helps! And got a few rounds of Halo Infinite multiplayer - impressive stuff so far!

How's the lag/bugs treating you with BF 2042?
  • @Creasy47 I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but I have crossplay ON and playing with PC players.. no lag on my end. Some visual bugs but nothing out of the ordinary for a BF launch. I'm going to try some more matches this weekend. My favourite aspect is the Portal game mode with Battlefield 1942, Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 maps and weapons! Probably will play this the most if I end up buying down the road.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I intend too, when the supply issues are not a thing. Once the PS5 is readily available, and not for scalper prices, i'll take a closer look at the PS5 game catalogue, and see.

I found a better deal on 12 month PSN subscription, £29. At that price, I won't lie, it is tempting to stick with it another year to see.

I intend too, when the supply issues are not a thing. Once the PS5 is readily available, and not for scalper prices, i'll take a closer look at the PS5 game catalogue, and see.

I found a better deal on 12 month PSN subscription, £29. At that price, I won't lie, it is tempting to stick with it another year to see.

At a price like that, I would; it'll let you dabble in online play here and there if you choose, but if not, you'll still get some nice freebie games every single month (some months are better than others, of course, but you might pay it off in a month or two at a price such as that, if you are indeed downloading games you don't have and wish to play).
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Been grinding New World for about a month now.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

At a price like that, I would; it'll let you dabble in online play here and there if you choose, but if not, you'll still get some nice freebie games every single month (some months are better than others, of course, but you might pay it off in a month or two at a price such as that, if you are indeed downloading games you don't have and wish to play).

I bought it. I do still like to drop in on Sniper Elite 4 single player and co-op from time to time*.

* Not too mention the Ghost Recon games.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 13,866
    Another Black Friday deal that has caught my attention. Fallout 76 for £7.99. I know it had one of the most catastrophic launches, 3 years ago, but for that price, I am willing to try it out. I do love a good RPG, and I have heard that it has improved somewhat over time.
    Another Black Friday deal that has caught my attention. Fallout 76 for £7.99. I know it had one of the most catastrophic launches, 3 years ago, but for that price, I am willing to try it out. I do love a good RPG, and I have heard that it has improved somewhat over time.

It might be in a good state now, and while I had fun it at launch (bugs aside), it becomes way too grindy and co-op-focused in the later levels, particularly when it comes to "end game" content and the raid bosses and whatnot. It can be fun but it feels like you're missing out at times when you don't have those overpowered builds running, which takes countless hours to achieve.
    Took full advantage of GameStop’s eary Black Friday sale and bagged 5 new Switch games. Broke as a joke now, but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run X)

It might be in a good state now, and while I had fun it at launch (bugs aside), it becomes way too grindy and co-op-focused in the later levels, particularly when it comes to "end game" content and the raid bosses and whatnot. It can be fun but it feels like you're missing out at times when you don't have those overpowered builds running, which takes countless hours to achieve.

Ok, interesting. I had heard that it becomes grindy later on.

Ok, interesting. I had heard that it becomes grindy later on.

It does, but it's fully engrossing up until that point. Hell, it probably remains that way if you stick with the game consistently and keep up that grind. I just feel a bit defeated after a while. They've had so many tweaks and updates, the heart of the game may be easier and no longer as bad as it once was. Let me know how it goes if you do give it a shot.
    chernobylite-story-trailer-intro-e1629376859477.jpg
    Other than a few little bugs (being trapped in a corridor, freezing on loading screen and being unable to interact with an npc), this is an interesting little game. Movement is cumbersome almost tank-like, but I like how the world area around you you, actually is impacted by the choices you make. Currently, I am around 12 in game days in, and the Chernobyl plant is becoming swamped by the Chernobylite crystals, there are also more helicopter patrols around the area.

I knew nothing about this going in, and have no idea where it might be going, though I have one or two theories.