Alfred Hitchcock Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited September 2018 Posts: 684
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Think I've seen you mention that a few times, about how many podcasts you listen to. Let me know what you think. Once you get through the Hitch series, and if you like it, the same guy is currently in the middle of a big series on Val Lewton (it's called "Shadows") that you might want to check out as well. Mark Gatiss pitches in for the opening narration on those eps. It's inspired me to go through Lewton's filmography (which I've never done) in the lead up to Halloween

Edit: P.S. Let me know if you find any other good Hitch ones.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Strog wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Think I've seen you mention that a few times, about how many podcasts you listen to. Let me know what you think. Once you get through the Hitch series, and you like it, the same guy is currently in the middle of a big series on Val Lewton (it's called "Shadows") that you might want to check out as well. Mark Gatiss pitches in for the opening narration on those eps. It's inspired me to go through Lewton's filmography (which I've never done) in the lead up to Halloween.

I looked on the podcasts apps I have, I have added The Secret History of Hollywood to my subscriptions. I may download the links you sent it maybe easier to keep up with where I am I noticed one podcast was 9hrs or so.

I work nights so often listen to podcasts I had read a few Hitch books years ago though I have always had an interest in the Golden and Silver age of films in Hollywood.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    A friend and I are working our way through watching all of Montgomery Clift's films (chronologically) and we just hit Hitchcock's I CONFESS (1953); the first and only time the two legends had worked together. I know that I had seen it once before, but I remembered near nothing and considered it a lesser picture from both men. I guess I'm coming out with the same conclusion. The first two-thirds are actually very good, and, of course, Monty is always great, but the resolutions are so daft that they pretty much wreck the experience.

I agree, a somewhat forgettable Hitchcock film, but still a thumbs up in my book.
    I don't revisit I Confess at all it's a film I often forget, saying that what's great about Hitch even in his lessor films there are flashes of genius. A prime example is the fight in Torn Curtain, its a quite brilliant scene in an underwhelming film which had miscast leads to start with.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Always wanted to see Torn Curtain, but it doesn't look to be as "available" as other Hitchcock films – at least as a digital download.
    Always wanted to see Torn Curtain, but it doesn't look to be as "available" as other Hitchcock films – at least as a digital download.

That's a shame, the boxset I showed you of Hitch's films has Torn Curtain in it. It's not his best though worth a look.

Just checked Amazon Instant video UK it's available there, are you subscribed to the Norwegian equivalent?

That's a shame, the boxset I showed you of Hitch's films has Torn Curtain in it. It's not his best though worth a look.

Just checked Amazon Instant video UK it's available there, are you subscribed to the Norwegian equivalent?

We have Amazon Prime (the subscription service) here in Norway, but unfortunately we can't purchase digital downloads from Amazon. I hope they'll make that an option for us too eventually, as there's so much interesting content to get!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    A prime example is the fight in Torn Curtain, its a quite brilliant scene in an underwhelming film...

I agree, that fight is a compelling bit of cinema, and the rest of the film is completely forgettable.

I much preferred Bernard Herrmann score to Torn Curtain I feel Hermann added another layer to Hitch's films that elevated even the weaker ones. Its a shame they never collaborated again after the fall out.
    Horrible way to cast a movie.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I'm actually thinking that Rear Window might be Hitchcock's best. I'm all for his more famous pictures like Vertigo and Psycho, but I don't think they're quite as good. At the moment, North by Northwest is a very close second.

For all of you who like Rear Window, check this out:
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Great to see, @zebrafish. Wouldn't it be great to see Hitchcock's own reaction to this and the technology used.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    And while I am at it, I would like to share this fantastic graphic. What Jeff Desom did for Rear Window with digital video, Andrew DeGraff did as a 2D-graphic: Tracking the events of the film in visually appealing style: A movie map of North By Northwest (by the way the first "James Bond" movie, according to some scholars of the genre)

nbynwfin5.jpg
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Marvellous Scorsese:

zebrafish wrote: »
    I'm actually thinking that Rear Window might be Hitchcock's best. I'm all for his more famous pictures like Vertigo and Psycho, but I don't think they're quite as good. At the moment, North by Northwest is a very close second.

Wow. Just Wow. How the hell did whoever did this make it? :-O

Now I need to watch Rear Window again.

Awesome. Really enjoyed that. Rear Window is such a rewatchable movie.

That's pretty awesome only watching it on my phone presently though will definitely watch on TV later.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    My favorite Hitch films:
    .Psycho
    .The Birds
    .Rear Window
    .Marnie
    .Shadow of a Doubt
    .Strangers on a Train
    .Dial M for Murder

I don't care for North by Northwest or Vertigo.
    In no particular order off top of my head films I rate highly from Hitch...

39 Steps
    The Lady Vanishes
    Lifeboat
    Saboteur
    Foriegn Correspondent
    Rebecca
    Notorious
    Rope
    Strangers on a Train
    To Catch a Thief
    Dial M for Murder
    Vertigo
    Rear Window
    North by Northwest
    Psycho
    The Birds
    Marnie

I could go on he made so many great movies.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bumping up this thread.
    My ranking of the Hitchcocks

1. Rear Window
    2. Vertigo
    3. The 39 steps
    4. Notorious
    5. North by Northwest
    6. Strangers on a Train
    7. Rebecca
    8. Suspicion
    9. Dial M For Murder
    10. Frenzy
    Plotting Family Plot - Alfred Hitchcock- Making Of - Movie Documentary

I have always had a soft spot for this film, perhaps because it was the Master's last, it has flashes of Hitch's genius.

After a mixed previous decade (1960's) for Hitchcock I thought his last two film were a good end to his career.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm having trouble actually rating the Hitchcock movies, because they are all so good.

I'd say my perennial favorite is North by Northwest. Then some of the 1960s films (not necessarily in order) like Psycho (of course!),The Birds, Marnie, Topaz. I'm not a big fan of Vertigo, mainly for the early reveal of the secret. Rope is great, as are many of his 1940s movies, say Lifeboat and of course Notorious. And no, I'm not trying to put down the rest, like both versions of The Man Who Knew too Much, The Lady Vanishes, Foreign Correspondent etc. They're all the crême de la crême of moviemaking.

The only Hitch movie I never took a liking to is The Trouble with Harry. Sorry 'bout that.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Here's what I've seen:

Notorious
    Rope
    Dial M for Murder
    Rear Window
    Vertigo
    North by Northwest
    Marnie
    Torn Curtain
    Frenzy

Favorites: Rope, Dial M for Murder, Frenzy
    Least favorite: Vertigo

Especially love the last part of Rope, the scene between Swann and Wendice in Dial M for Murder, and Inspector Oxford suffering his wife's cooking in Frenzy-- and recovering with an English breakfast at the office.
    I remember first watching Rope and being impressed by the experimental way it was shot its brilliantly executed by cast and crew during the long takes. The sky line they created in the background changing from day to night gradually was very well done with excellent miniatures.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    As a major fan of classic era film noir, in addition to some of the titles listed above, I can also recommend:

SHADOW OF A DOUBT
    STRANGERS ON A TRAIN

Other than Kubrick, Hitchcock is the only director that has their own section in my DVD case. ;)
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,327
    Shots from Hitchcock Movies

Genius.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 6,722
    Dwayne wrote: »
    As a major fan of classic era film noir, in addition to some of the titles listed above, I can also recommend:

SHADOW OF A DOUBT
    STRANGERS ON A TRAIN

Other than Kubrick, Hitchcock is the only director that has their own section in my DVD case. ;)
    Strangers on a Train is among the Hitchcock films I'm more interested in watching next. I already know I'm going to love Robert Walker's performance.

Shots from Hitcock Movies

Genius.
    Very cool. The music too.

Watching the video I'm reminded that Marnie has a very soft, blurry look, at least in certain shots. I wonder how that was achieved. Vaseline on the lens?
    Strangers on a Train is incredible you are in for a treat @mattjoes
    Strangers on a Train is incredible you are in for a treat @mattjoes

Great, looking forward to it, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns!