NSNA unfairly maligned?

If people forgot about the fact that it is unofficial, would NSNA rank more highly?

At the time of it's release it was given good reviews, and I think viewed objectively it's a decent (not brilliant) Bond; and certainly compares favourably with most of Moore's and Brosnan's films.

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I certainly look upon it more favourably now than I did when I first saw it in the early 90's.

I think at that time what turned me off was the lack of Barry score, lack of gun barrel, poor title song, poor lead actress (Basinger was as wooden as they come - can't believe she now has an Oscar), somewhat weak & ineffectual villain, and none of the familiar characters (Lee, Maxwell, Llewelyn).

However, since then, most of what was familiar at the time has disappeared from the EON entries, especially the Barry sound & the original MI6 team. Additionally, we have certainly seen our share of atrocious lead actresses and useless villains since then as well, particularly in the last two Brosnan entries which came across as official imposters to me rather than genuine Bond films as well.

So yes, when I watch it now, I do look upon it slightly more favourably, but it will always pale in comparison to all of EON's pre-NSNA entries for me.
    More exaggeratedly than unfairly. It has many flaws (most of the music, some FX failures, Nigel Small - it's the only time Rowan Atkinson has annoyed me: I'm quite a fan -, the infamous horse stunt...) but in spite all of this it's such an enjoyable film IMHO, even anathemically more enjoyable than the boring original TB despite being inferior in many senses: it's outlandishly 80s, with a campy a B-series flavor, a fantastic Sean Connery in top shape, Barbara Carrera, some awesome stunts (the fight in Shrublands, the sadly short motorbike chase), DAF-like humor and I, for one, love the Domination scene.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    "Welcome gentlemen to the eternal battle for the domination of the Galactica, err, I mean World."
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If it was "Official" It would probably stay on the bottom for me. For me first and foremost, It's an inferior remake to a spectacular Bond movie. All the other flaws have been mentioned so many times before but I don't think it's very good.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I think it is unfairly treated.

Back in circa 1990/1991 when I discovered all the Bond movies as a teenager I didn't even realise that NSNA wasn't an official Bond movie. Sure I was irritated by the different opening of the movie, but that's about it. I like it very much then. Especially Brandauer impressed me a lot and of course Fatima Blush...well "family friendly forum" is all I can say.

Later, after 1995 when I got to know the story of the franchise and I knew the story of NSNA I still liked it.

Not having the normal opening for a Bond movie isn't even a topic anymore after what they have done since 2006.

The real crime committed is the score and the Bond theme. That I will never understand, that could have been so much better.

I said it elsewhere.
    The supporting cast is absolutely stunning and I like M, Q and Blofeld very much.

And Connery looked 10 times better than in DAF and acted better as well.
This discussion has been closed.