Actors considered for the role of James Bond.

2»

Comments

I'd love to see a picture of John Gavin circa 1971 to see what he might have looked like in DAF. I'm a huge supporter of Ogilvy as Bond as well. If we had no Tim or Pierce, Ian would have been my main man. He was great on Return Of The Saint and bada$$ in The Witchfinder General.
    Funny I vividly remember Entertainment Tonight doing a blurb in May of 86 announcing 32 year old Finlay Light as the new James Bond in The Living Daylights. It also mentioned that Brosnan had been one of the contenders and John Tesh joked that Finlay Light sounded like a beer commercial.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    John Gavin looked a bit like Rock Hudson, and I think he was in Spartacus and
    Psycho, so I'd say an image would be easily. Found on Google.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I did google him after reading this discussion. Not a bad looking fella in his prime. In that 60's, assured way.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Must admit I didn't find his acting that memorable in Psycho. Put it this way, he didn't outshine Anthony Perkins!

Here is a picture of John Gavin in 1971:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/john-gavin-1971-picture-id149994663

He probably had a lucky escape not playing Bond. I think the British press would have given him a hard time over his nationality.

"What makes you think you can play a British spy, Mr Gavin?"

"Er... well, I once visited Great Britain on vacation. Does that count?"

:-\"
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Must admit I didn't find his acting that memorable in Psycho. Put it this way, he didn't outshine Anthony Perkins!

Here is a picture of John Gavin in 1971:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/john-gavin-1971-picture-id149994663

He probably had a lucky escape not playing Bond. I think the British press would have given him a hard time over his nationality.

"What makes you think you can play a British spy, Mr Gavin?"

"Er... well, I once visited Great Britain on vacation. Does that count?"

:-\"

well, it would've been no more and no less than Daniel got for his golden locks...

at the end of the day, all that matters is the performance - so if Gavin had done a standup job, the reporters would've backed off.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    James Brolin was horribly wooden and 'American' in his screen test scenes.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    suavejmf wrote: »
    The funny thing about those screen tests is that no one looks any good. It isn't until they add different camera angles, cutaways, incidental music, close ups etc when we see a proper performance.

Same with behind the scenes footage when you see actors going through their paces - it looks awful, but the finished product comes through

suavejmf wrote: »

well in a few months I will be able to determine this for myself (Doing a bondathon and while I am on the fence with Royale 67 I plan on watching the brolin screen tests in between For Your Eyes only and Octopussy)