Spectre versus the field: Skyfall

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    PTS: TWINE (Much as I love the SP PTS this was one of Brosnan's best)
    Title track: SP (TWINE is such a dreary song)
    Titles: SP
    Main villain: TWINE (Being Electra King)
    Main Bond Girl: SP
    Henchman: SP
    Plot: TWINE
    Dialogue: SP
    Score: TWINE
    Settings: SP
    Action: TWINE
    Humour: SP
    Cinematography: SP
    Benign Bizarre: SP
    Suspense: SP
    Minor Characters: SP
    Glamour: TWINE
    Bond performance: SP

SP - 12
    TWINE - 6
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    SP vs TWINE

And so we finally have it. The battle I've been waiting for. My worst Bond entry (by far) since its release in 1999 vs. the most disappointing Bond film (by far) in the lauded Craig era (imho). Let's see how this goes.

PTS: SP (Closer than one may think. I now believe the tracking shot is the only good thing about the SP pretitles. It's ruined by the CGI building collapse and helicopter chase, horrendous post-tracking score and piss colours unfortunately. Nevertheless, that tracking shot is just enough to take the win over TWINE's boring Thames boat chase. The real reason I gave it the win is due to Pierce's ridiculous overacting in the Banker's office.)
    Title track: TWINE (they are both 'garbage' but at least Garbage wasn't such sh!# that it ruined my anticipation for the film. Smith's did. What a load of trash)
    Titles: SP (I can't even remember TWINE's, so SP wins by default).
    Main villain: TWINE (If it's supposed to be Elektra, then it's an easy win for TWINE. She was the best thing about TWINE)
    Main Bond Girl: SP (Seydoux is easily one of the worst things about SP, but at least she conducts herself with a little more Bondian class than the wannabe nuclear physicist, who remains one of the worst casting decisions in the entire franchise history)
    Henchman: SP (Hinx is a boring character, but he single handedly destroys the 3 jokers from the earlier film: namely Gabor, Davidov & Bullion)
    Plot: TWINE (daughterly hate is preferable to brotherly hate)
    Dialogue: TWINE (Far more memorable lines in the earlier effort, even if for a laugh. As an example: "I don't know, but the world's greatest terrorist running around with 6 kilos......of plutonium can't be good. I have to get it back, or somebody will have my ass.").
    Score: SP (Newman gets a bad rap, and some of it is deserved. Having said that, his work in SP is far superior in my mind to the useless rubbish that Arnold dished up for TWINE. Easily the least memorable score in the canon imho)
    Settings: SP (At least I remember the SP settings, even if a lot of them were CGI enhanced. TWINE made every place it went to look drab)
    Action: SP (Both these films are absolutely pathetic in this regard, but SP wins on account of the Hinx fight)
    Humour: TWINE (I laugh so hard at both Brosnan and Richard's acting every time)
    Cinematography: SP (Hoyte did a great job apart from the filter)
    Benign Bizarre: SP (it's a surreal film)
    Suspense: SP (Both absolutely useless in this respect, but SP wins for the White scene and Hinx fight)
    Minor Characters: TWINE (White was good, but TWINE has so many losers in supporting roles that I have to give it the win. The three monkeys Gabor, Davidov and Bullion, and also Renard, Cigar Girl, Molly Warmflash, R, Zukovsky, & a far superior Tanner)
    Glamour: TWINE (Just for Elektra. Marceau can make anything look glamorous - even a POS film like TWINE)
    Bond performance: SP (Brosnan is a complete and utter joke in TWINE. He really should have been sacked after this performance, which was an unforgiveable shame to the character)

TWINE: 7
    SP: 11

Much closer than it had any right to be, given how ridiculously bad TWINE is.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Elektra doubles as both the main villain and main Bond girl, just as Xenia doubles as both the henchwoman and secondary Bond girl.

That was enjoyable to read, @Mansfield.
    Can't believe you think that TWINE has the worst score in the series, @bondjames !

'Come in 007 your time is up' is a fantastic action piece! And one of my favourite tracks!

And the gorgeous music as Bond and Elektra are skiing is something Barry would have been proud of!

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet regarding TWINE..... :-S
    Can't believe you think that TWINE has the worst score in the series, @bondjames !

'Come in 007 your time is up' is a fantastic action piece! And one of my favourite tracks!

And the gorgeous music as Bond and Elektra are skiing is something Barry would have been proud of!

I don't have much good to say about that film, true. It remains one of the most disappointing film experiences of my life. I seriously questioned my Bond fandom after it was released. The score is easily one of the worst aspects of it, along with Brosnan's overacting.

The only memorable aspect I recall of the score was the part when both Bond and Elektra jump from the helicopter and start skiing.

The TWINE score is one of the primary reasons (along with the score for DAD) that I don't want Arnold back on Bond, despite his redemption during the Craig era. The risk of a relapse is too great for me.

I'm surprised I ranked it pretty close compared to SP. Goes to show what I think of the latest effort.
    bondjames wrote: »

I don't have much good to say about that film, true. It remains one of the most disappointing film experiences of my life. I seriously questioned my Bond fandom after it was released. The score is easily one of the worst aspects of it, along with Brosnan's overacting.

The only memorable aspect I recall of the score was the part when both Bond and Elektra jump from the helicopter and start skiing.

The TWINE score is one of the primary reasons (along with the score for DAD) that I don't want Arnold back on Bond, despite his redemption during the Craig era. The risk of a relapse is too great for me.

I'm surprised I ranked it pretty close compared to SP. Goes to show what I think of the latest effort.

I think it's Brosnan's second best Bond film after GE, and it's a pretty solid Bond adventure that probably sits about halfway down my rankings list.

Not sure what there really is to hate about it.......but each to their own :)
    bondjames wrote: »

I think it's Brosnan's second best Bond film after GE, and it's a pretty solid Bond adventure that probably sits about halfway down my rankings list.

Not sure what there really is to hate about it.......but each to their own :)

My rationale for the strong dislike, outlined as best I can, is in the link below. It's just an opinion however, and I respect your different one.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/407521/#Comment_407521
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @bondjames

I agree on TWINE being a huge disappointment, the only other film that actually even disappointed more is the remake of TWINE, Skyfall.

As for the score I beg to differ, greatly. David Arnold's scores are like Barry's perfect, all of them.
    PTS: TWINE
    Title track: TWINE
    Main villain: TWINE
    Plot: SP
    Action: SP
    Glamour: SP

SP : 14
    TWINE: 4
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    PTS: SP
    Titles: TWINE
    Main villain: SP
    Main Bond Girl: TWINE
    Plot: SP
    Score:SP

SP : 15
    TWINE: 3

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Main villain: SP
    Score:TWINE
    Benign Bizarre: TWINE
    Bond performance: Tie

Tie : 1
    SP : 10
    Title track: SP
    Main villain: SP (Assuming the main villain is Renard. If it were to be Elektra, TWINE wins)

SP: 15
    TWINE: 3
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Without going point by point, I find The World is Not Enough MUCH more enjoyable than SPECTRE
    PTS: SPECTRE
    Title Track: TWINE
    Title Credits: SPECTRE
    Main Villain: TWINE
    Main Bond Girl: SPECTRE
    Henchman: SPECTRE
    Dialogue: SPECTRE
    Settings: SPECTRE
    Humor: SPECTRE
    Cinematography: SPECTRE
    Benign Bizarre: SPECTRE
    Suspense: SPECTRE
    Minor Characters: SPECTRE
    Glamor: SPECTRE
    Bond Performance: SPECTRE

TWINE: 5
    SPECTRE: 13
    Ties: 0
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    @bondjames

I agree on TWINE being a huge disappointment, the only other film that actually even disappointed more is the remake of TWINE, Skyfall.

As for the score I beg to differ, greatly. David Arnold's scores are like Barry's perfect, all of them.

Skyfall disappointed compared to CR but not compared to the 90's. Arnolds scores are great minus the drum and base shit.
    Title track: SP

15 - 3 to SP
  • PTS: SP
    Action: TWINE (obviously excessive, but more satisfying)
    Humour: Tie
    Suspense: TWINE
    Bond performance: TWINE

TWINE 8 - 9 SP (I actually prefer TWINE)
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 19,339

SP: 13

Blimey,i didn't expect that,i have TWINE at #11 and SP at #13 in my rankings...odd.

TWINE has one of the best theme tunes and scores IMO,post Barry,as does TND...!!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 4,422
    Action: SP (both rather lacking)

SP: 13

Both midtable rankers. Although I’m in the minority that actually enjoys TWINE.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    [/b]Blimey,i didn't expect that,i have TWINE at #11 and SP at #13 in my rankings...odd.
    Maybe you just don t use math to decide what you like more.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    [/b]Blimey,i didn't expect that,i have TWINE at #11 and SP at #13 in my rankings...odd.
    Maybe you just don t use math to decide what you like more.

I don't,i use 'maths' old boy....

edited January 2017 Posts: 45,489
    How many maths do you use?
    As many as i can count on two hands...
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    PTS: SP (Always found TWINE overlong)
    Title track: TWINE (Both good, but Manson's vocals are so strong here)
    Titles: SP (I find TWINE and DAD to be Kleinman's weakest)
    Main villain: SP (Really thought Elektra was a missed opportunity)
    Main Bond Girl: SP (I don't know any Doctor jokes)
    Henchman: SP (Hinx by a smidge. Renard is another missed opportunity here, could have been so much more)
    Plot: TWINE (Both are very weak in this department)
    Dialogue: SP (Bond gets too punny in TWINE, has some good lines and then others that just go too far)
    Score:TWINE (Arnold uses the main theme well and delivers another solid score)
    Settings: SP (TWINE is another Brosnan era film that feels studio bound, poor use of locations)
    Action: SP (By a fair margain)
    Humour: TWINE (Zukovsky puts it over the edge for TWINE)
    Cinematography: SP (With ease)
    Minor Characters: TWINE (Last appearance of Q & Zukovsky)
    Bond performance: TWINE (Actually really like Brozzer's performance here)

SP: 11

A victory for SP. There is a very good movie somewhere within TWINE, I just can't find it as I feel the film has difficulty putting it all together. Similar can be said of SP, but by the numbers, the win goes to SP.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    There is a very good movie somewhere within TWINE, I just can't find it as I feel the film has difficulty putting it all together. Similar can be said of SP, but by the numbers, the win goes to SP.
    Precisely.
    Title Credits: TWINE
    Humor: TWINE
    Glamor: SP
    Bond Performance: TWINE

TWINE: 10
    SP: 8

Just shows elements don't make a better whole, as I prefer SP to TWINE.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Title Credits: TWINE
    Humor: TWINE
    Glamor: SP
    Bond Performance: SP

TWINE: 9
    SP: 9

A draw. I personally would take TWINE over SP, though.

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    I don't even have to start. One of my favourites against my #24 (with a margin)

SP: 18
    TWINE: 0
    MrBond wrote: »
    I don't even have to start. One of my favourites against my #24 (with a margin)

SP: 18
    TWINE: 0

Wow seriously ???