RIP Martin Birch.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    You guys have been posting good music! and introducing me to some music I haven't heard before. @Thunderfinger, I especially enjoyed hearing the Siouxsie and the Banshees song again; I was heavily into them several years ago.

Thrasos wrote: »
    You guys have been posting good music! and introducing me to some music I haven't heard before. @Thunderfinger, I especially enjoyed hearing the Siouxsie and the Banshees song again; I was heavily into them several years ago.

Glad to hear it! Siouxsie and the Banshees does has a vast, rich back catalogue. Perhaps everyone doesn t know this, but Robert Smith of The Cure was a member for a few years in the mid 80s.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,497

Polly deserves to be more recognized. No albums sound exactly the same (bar maybe the last two), not always easy to get into, but once you do she's got you. There's no escape.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 1,469
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Polly deserves to be more recognized. No albums sound exactly the same (bar maybe the last two), not always easy to get into, but once you do she's got you. There's no escape.
    Yes, I enjoyed that song too! (and her video). Thanks for posting; I should check out her music more.
    Yes, I enjoyed that song too! (and her video). Thanks for posting; I should check out her music more.

This wicked tongue says...

She never left my mind.

• AWMAWM
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 3,564
    Okay, move over a bit -- thanks, just re-establishing an existing conversation from a different thread -- carry on, all...

Peter Yarrow has been quite consistent in stating that "Puff The Magic Dragon" was an innocently-intended children's song. While it's understandable that some may have found another interpretation plausible, I'll take Peter's word as the definitive answer here. For more info on this topic try: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puff,_the_Magic_Dragon

Now then, a little further discussion on the overall topic of "Folk Music and what happened to it?" As I stated previously, folk purists were never really comfortable seeing "their" music as a commercially viable genre. Hence Peter, Paul & Mary's "I Dig Rock & Roll Music" with its digs against Donovan and the Mamas & the Papas. And as for the Beatles? WAY too commercial to be sure! "And when the Beatles tell you, they've got a word, 'Love' to sell you, they mean exactly what they say..." This may have been the last song PP&M got any air play with. Don't dis the Fabs...

"And if I really say it, the radio won't play it...."
    This one's for @NicNac:
    For this rest of you: Nesmith's Television Parts was an important step towards the creation of MTV. Check it out!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    This one's for @NicNac:
    For this rest of you: Nesmith's Television Parts was an important step towards the creation of MTV. Check it out!
    Thanks Beatles.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Sorry for the delayed thankyou @BeatlesSansEarmuffs.

A short interview with Lenny Lipton about the history of “Puff.”

Oddly, as a child I always missed the line “…Painted wings and giant's rings make way for other toys…”, and assumed that poor Jackie Paper had died!!! Either way, at it’s heart “Puff” is a very sad song for the poor dragon is abandoned. And as a child, since I tended to anthropomorphize my belongings (I still do actually!), I would always cry when I heard the song.
    Thanks for the interview with Lenny Lipton, @Dwayne. I had no idea he'd done so many "other" things with his life!

Expanding on the topic of "what ever happened to Folk Music?" -- here's Arlo Guthrie's version of a song by Steve Goodman: "City of New Orleans." Arlo, of course, is the son of folk giant Woody Guthrie... Best known for "Alice's Restaurant," Arlo had a pretty decent hit with this song in 1972, several years after the great folk scare had ended and when singer-songwriters walked the Earth with recording contracts...

Happy 57th birthday to the magnificent Tori.

Happy 57th birthday to the magnificent Tori.

She always reminded me of Kate Bush.
    :-? Yes, a bit...