Can Broccoli and Wilson learn from Abrams?

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2016 Posts: 5,961
    EON has remade Bond films before. Remakes of remakes even. Sometimes it has ben a success, sometimes a complete failure.

It bugs me when all media outlets call the new Canadian effort a remake of FYEO though, as it is nothing of the kind.

TND is a remake of TSWLM is a remake of YOLT is a remake of FRWL

Actually, TLD is the remake of FRWL but I take your point.
    Exactly.

Does Dan have even one iconic moment of his own that doesn't in some way incorporate a reference to old Bond films?

I wasn't 100% in the Mendes out camp but the more I think about it the more I'm coming to think he hasn't got much more in his locker than some angst and gratuitous use of the DB5 when he can't think of what else to do.

There are little bits here and there--Bond adjusting his cuffs on the train in SF comes to mind, and more controversially, Bond's reaction to Silva's "seduction." But mostly it is recycled moments.

Craig has found Bond's humanity and has incorporated it into the character better than Dalton or Lazenby ever did. The PTS in SF is just about perfectly incapsulates Craig's Bond: he wants to save Ronson, M decides to sacrifice him and Bond (like Silva--and finally delivering on alt-universe M's promise "I have no compunction sending you to your death"), and in the end sacrifices herself. Bond mourns her and moves on. Perfect.

But with SP they lost the plot, and the character. As much as I enjoyed the SP PTS, I kept thinking that Bond (according to Wilson) wouldn't put the public in jeopardy like that.
    dalton wrote: »
    EON only needs to do what many have been saying they need to do for the better part of a decade now: hire new writers.

Everything else seems to be in pretty good hands. They've moved the franchise to a point where they are able to bring Oscar-caliber talent both in front of and behind the camera. That just hasn't translated to the writing team yet.

Bingo. They attract much better talent now thanks to what they created with CR (even though that is clearly the high water mark for casting in the Craig era), which is why each film keeps going back to the CR cast. Paging Jeffrey Wright for Bond 25.

Abrams is a flash in the pan. Bond films have lasted over fifty years. My God, they recast Connery. Nobody has those cojones in the film industry anymore. Think about that for a moment: that would be like recasting Indiana Jones.
    EON only needs to do what many have been saying they need to do for the better part of a decade now: hire new writers.

Everything else seems to be in pretty good hands. They've moved the franchise to a point where they are able to bring Oscar-caliber talent both in front of and behind the camera. That just hasn't translated to the writing team yet.
    I don´t see how that has translated into anything much yet. They made much better Bond films before the Brosnan era with much "lesser" talent.
    I get more of an opporite impression in fact. The heavier the talent, the more they seem to lose sight of the track.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    boldfinger wrote: »

I don´t see how that has translated into anything much yet. They made much better Bond films before the Brosnan era with much "lesser" talent.
    I get more of an opporite impression in fact. The heavier the talent, the more they seem to lose sight of the track.

You make a good point there and that's something I've noticed too. When EoN make these casting stunts of heavy talent actors they seem to forego telling a focused story and instead rely on the hype of who they've cast and in the case of Mendes, the person directing.

As cliche as it's now becoming but just look at CR, sure, we had Fleming material to work with but there was a genuine focus on telling a great story and having to adapt the Fleming material and adding their own story, where they got excellent actors to fulfil their roles in a very satisfying way. Quality was never compromised and they managed to freshen this gSekICGI up in an exciting way. No pretense, no feeble oscar-baiibg, no casting stunts; just good old fashioned film making.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    RC7 wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    You sound like a studio exec.

I assume you jest @RC7, because @susanvil makes a valid point. It was well pitched, which I guess is what your comment is inferring... :>

I was being quite serious.

Well I do think there is a case for going 'back to basics' when a franchise has gone so far off kilter that it just starts to look like it's trying too hard to be 'relevant'.
  • RC7RC7

I assume you jest @RC7, because @susanvil makes a valid point. It was well pitched, which I guess is what your comment is inferring... :>

Well I do think there is a case for going 'back to basics' when a franchise has gone so far off kilter that it just starts to look like it's trying too hard to be 'relevant'.

The OP asked - Now I know a lot of you will cry "heresy" at the very notion, and I'm not saying that a shot-for-shot remake of Dr. No is a sure thing, but what if, just what if, EON tried their hand at putting a fresh coat of paint on the most financially successfully and culturally phenomenal Bonds of the 1960s? Would that be so bad? Heck, if the direction taken by Abrams and Co is any indication, it at very least is an idea worth putting on the table.

These are the thoughts of a Studio exec, following trends with a view to maximising profit. The whole opening gambit reeks of someone who implies 'creativity' is at the heart of their thinking, while masking the driver, money.

Firstly, what we're talking here is the cinematic version of '007 Legends', which quite frankly is a diabolical idea.

Secondly, this talk of TFA is boring. Yes, it's a really enjoyable romp, but it does nothing new or creative with the material. It's a cookie-cutter production using all the classic visual tropes and narrative twists. The only reason people are chomping at the bit is because it's pulling in a f*** tonne of money. There isn't anything about it, whether it's character, plot, direction, score... that attempts anything new. Add to this that all the film had to do was have a Millenium Falcon for the audience to getting a lob on, why would you bother writing fully formed characters? It's not the route for Bond and trust me, the SW bubble will burst.

Going back to basic, yes, I'm all for it and have actively advocated it, but that doesn't equate to putting a new lick of paint on GF. It means going back to the source, reigning in the need for mass global adoration as your primary objective, and producing a different take on the 007 myth.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    And we can see how many 14 year old boys will go to see James Bond wrestling with his conscience while he plays golf for two hours. ;)

The OP asked - Now I know a lot of you will cry "heresy" at the very notion, and I'm not saying that a shot-for-shot remake of Dr. No is a sure thing, but what if, just what if, EON tried their hand at putting a fresh coat of paint on the most financially successfully and culturally phenomenal Bonds of the 1960s? Would that be so bad? Heck, if the direction taken by Abrams and Co is any indication, it at very least is an idea worth putting on the table.

These are the thoughts of a Studio exec, following trends with a view to maximising profit. The whole opening gambit reeks of someone who implies 'creativity' is at the heart of their thinking, while masking the driver, money.

Firstly, what we're talking here is the cinematic version of '007 Legends', which quite frankly is a diabolical idea.

Secondly, this talk of TFA is boring. Yes, it's a really enjoyable romp, but it does nothing new or creative with the material. It's a cookie-cutter production using all the classic visual tropes and narrative twists. The only reason people are chomping at the bit is because it's pulling in a f*** tonne of money. There isn't anything about it, whether it's character, plot, direction, score... that attempts anything new. Add to this that all the film had to do was have a Millenium Falcon for the audience to getting a lob on, why would you bother writing fully formed characters? It's not the route for Bond and trust me, the SW bubble will burst.

Going back to basic, yes, I'm all for it and have actively advocated it, but that doesn't equate to putting a new lick of paint on GF. It means going back to the source, reigning in the need for mass global adoration as your primary objective, and producing a different take on the 007 myth.

I think I didn't take it quite as literally :> I extrapolated.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Secondly, this talk of TFA is boring. Yes, it's a really enjoyable romp, but it does nothing new or creative with the material. It's a cookie-cutter production using all the classic visual tropes and narrative twists. The only reason people are chomping at the bit is because it's pulling in a f*** tonne of money. There isn't anything about it, whether it's character, plot, direction, score... that attempts anything new.
    I don't agree that the reason people are talking positively about it is because it's making money. That's beside the point, as far as I'm concerned. It hit a nerve for me. I was moved by the characters. I actually had a tear in my eye at the end (and believe me, that doesn't happen often with me). It grabbed me at a heart string level. I'm not sure why. You could say it's nostalgia, but then again, I felt none of this during any of the prequels and they too had the same environment, music etc. So in my view, they executed the premise well, even if it was derivative.
    That's certainly one way to do it. I think, when you have a long running franchise like Bond, you have to mix it up from time to time. Not every Bond film can be CR, and not every Bond film can be TSWLM. I love them both equally, even though they are world's apart. Just speaking from my perspective as a Bond fan, I just want the film to have 'heart and soul', I want to care about the characters, and I want them to do whatever they do 'well' by my relatively critical standards, and surprise me. Even if it's derivative, there's a way to do it so that it impresses. Nearly everything is derivative of something these days anyway.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,512
    NicNac wrote: »
    And we can see how many 14 year old boys will go to see James Bond wrestling with his conscience while he plays golf for two hours. ;)

You forget the 90 minute breakfast and shower scene.

Joking aside, there's a lot in the tone of the books that can ignite a different take, even now. Trust me, I've spent a lot of time thinking about it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Secondly, this talk of TFA is boring. Yes, it's a really enjoyable romp, but it does nothing new or creative with the material. It's a cookie-cutter production using all the classic visual tropes and narrative twists. The only reason people are chomping at the bit is because it's pulling in a f*** tonne of money. There isn't anything about it, whether it's character, plot, direction, score... that attempts anything new.
    I don't agree that the reason people are talking positively about it is because it's making money. That's beside the point, as far as I'm concerned. It hit a nerve for me. I was moved by the characters. I actually had a tear in my eye at the end (and believe me, that doesn't happen often with me). It grabbed me at a heart string level. I'm not sure why. You could say it's nostalgia, but then again, I felt none of this during any of the prequels and they too had the same environment, music etc. So in my view, they executed the premise well, even if it was derivative.

The prequels aren't nostalgic. They feature no one bar Threepio and Artoo. TFA is pinned on the fact that
    one of the most iconic mainstream characters in cinema history met his maker
    Those heart strings you felt going, were like the rest of us built on the audiences love of those original characters and their relationships. That doesn't translate to Bond. What the OP is implying doesn't stand up, even if TFA is the greatest film of all time.
    That's certainly one way to do it. I think, when you have a long running franchise like Bond, you have to mix it up from time to time. Not every Bond film can be CR, and not every Bond film can be TSWLM.

Precisely, which is why post DC they need to take a step back and see where they go next. Emulating TFA is not the next logical step imo.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The prequels aren't nostalgic. They feature no one bar Threepio and Artoo. TFA is pinned on the fact that
    Those heart strings you felt going, were like the rest of us built on the audiences love of those original characters and their relationships. That doesn't translate to Bond. What the OP is implying doesn't stand up, even if TFA is the greatest film of all time.
    Again, only speaking from my personal perspective, that's not the case. I didn't feel anything really for the 'spoilered bit', and I applaud the film makers for not spending too much time on it, but rather just moving on.

What I connected to was Finn, Rey and BB8. That's what really impressed me about this film. I 'felt' these characters. I know you have issues with them, but for some reason they resonated with me, more than anyone in the prequels. That's what impressed me more than anything about this effort.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,512
    Again, only speaking from my personal perspective, that's not the case. I didn't feel anything really for the 'spoilered bit', and I applaud the film makers for not spending too much time on it, but rather just moving on.

What I connected to was Finn, Rey and BB8. That's what really impressed me about this film. I 'felt' these characters. I know you have issues with them, but for some reason they resonated with me, more than anyone in the prequels. That's what impressed me more than anything about this effort.

I'm massively impressed, as I've said before, these aren't particularly well written characters (that's being fair). Any screenwriter worth his salt can tell you that, but if they connected with you I'm glad because it will have elevated this film for you way beyond my experience.

EDIT: Actually, BB8 can stay. He was decent, albeit a riff on R2.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Exactly.

Does Dan have even one iconic moment of his own that doesn't in some way incorporate a reference to old Bond films?

I wasn't 100% in the Mendes out camp but the more I think about it the more I'm coming to think he hasn't got much more in his locker than some angst and gratuitous use of the DB5 when he can't think of what else to do.

He has plenty. These just off the top of my head:

from CR:
    1. PTS (actually a couple of scenes)
    2. Stairway fight, followed by...
    3. The sink scene, downing scotch and trying to collect himself, followed by...
    4. Shower scene with Vesper
    5. The torture scene and the "scratching my balls" line.
    (none of these could have been pulled off by any other Bond actor--except maybe Dalton)

from QoS:
    6. The fight with Slate
    (again, couldn't be pulled off by any other Bond actor)

from SF:
    7. Doing a shot with a scorpion on his hand
    8. Second fight with Patrice
    9. Meeting Silva (and the "first time" line)
    10. Standing on the roof of the Dept of Energy Building

from SP
    11. PTS (several scenes)
    12. The clinics scenes, though you can make a case that the backdrop is too much based on OHMSS

My two cents: EON made a mistake by not re-setting CR in the 50s/early 60s and leaving Bond in that era. This would freeze him, chronologically, and make him a Cold War hero again. The fear, of course, is that today's audiences wouldn't get it. But TMFU was a pleasant surprise, despite this setting, and I would argue that the setting was part of what made the film so enjoyable. There is something to be said of that era and spies in the Cold War.
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    TripAces wrote: »
    My two cents: EON made a mistake by not re-setting CR in the 50s/early 60s and leaving Bond in that era. This would freeze him, chronologically, and make him a Cold War hero again. The fear, of course, is that today's audiences wouldn't get it. But TMFU was a pleasant surprise, despite this setting, and I would argue that the setting was part of what made the film so enjoyable. There is something to be said of that era and spies in the Cold War.

Indeed!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The original draft for Bond 15 (TLD), had Bond as a naval recruit stationed at an academy in Vienna. He would get into a fight and get arrested. MI6 took interest in him, and offered to get him released if he would work for them.

The rest of the film would see how his first two kills happened and he got his 00 number, ending with M telling about a doctor in Jamaica who needed checking into-a bit of a retcon, but not a reboot.

Maibaum and Wilson s idea for a period piece (would most likely be a one off for the actor cast, and not sure where they could go from there) was vetoed by Albert R. Broccoli.
  • RC7RC7
    Maibaum and Wilson s idea for a period piece (would most likely be a one off for the actor cast, and not sure where they could go from there) was vetoed by Albert R. Broccoli.

God bless, Cubby.

3. The sink scene, downing scotch and trying to collect himself, followed by...
    Not that the scene is diminished by it, but it was taken almost literally from Bourne.

Well, they didn´t get the re-boot either ;-). In comparison, a period piece seems easier to get to me, but you´re not wrong.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Exactly.

Plenty of original iconic moments in CR. But take your point on Mendes.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,727
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Exactly.

That is exactly what made CR such a strong entry, and what I have missed in DC's tenure since.
    Dan's debut had iconic moments galore, whereas Mendes & co. don't seem capable of coming up with anything half as cool as CR served up.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Exactly.

That is exactly what made CR such a strong entry, and what I have missed in DC's tenure since.
    Dan's debut had iconic moments galore, whereas Mendes & co. don't seem capable of coming up with anything half as cool as CR served up.
    I agree 100%. There were many iconic moments in CR.

Some may hold up QoS in this regard as well, but I don't agree, although I like the film very much. It had fewer 'iconic' moments (as I said earlier, I can only think of the Opera sequence) but it must be credited for being a different kind of Bond film. Same goes for SF.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 372
    They had the formula with CR and they messed it up.
    What they should have done is keep updating the novels into films.
    The follow up to CR should have been a mix of the LALD and Moonraker novels, updated to modern settings.
    The third film should have been drawing from DAF and FRWL novels, with Bond dying at the end (instead of at the beginning like in Skyfall)
    Then they should have drawn from Dr No and Goldfinger, rolled into one film.
    Then adapt straight TB, OHMSS and YOLT/MWTGG, remaking the movies in essence, just like the new SW remakes the first.

That would have been 7 Craig films, some of them costing about half what any current Bond movie cost, covering most of the Fleming era, just like CR draws from CR.

Instead they spend x amount of money into stunts no one cares about and jokes only die hard fans would smile for, basically remaking the Brosnan era films.

Makes no sense.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm happy with the direction they've gone. I don't want to see remakes/rehashes/retreads of previous Bond films. Take the elements/ characters that haven't been done yet and make new adventures around that.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'm happy with the direction they've gone. I don't want to see remakes/rehashes/retreads of previous Bond films. Take the elements/ characters that haven't been done yet and make new adventures around that.

That would be my preferred option as well. There's still a multitude of Fleming material that has never been adapted and even then there's the continuation Bond novels...
    The Mendes years have proven to me that Wilson & Broccoli have yet to learn a lot from their fathers vision. The should wrestle the franchise back from the shallowness and bring it back to be a strong spy series.
    Part of the problem is people are too caught up on what constitutes to being a Bond film. CR and especially QoS were major departures of a traditional Bond film and to a lesser extent so was SF. The underlying current that runs through those 3 Bond films that serves to be a constant positive for them us that they weren't typical Bond films. However, people still want to be spoon-fed hallmarks that distinctively identify these films as Bond movies. Many people cried for the better part of a decade about having the gunbarrel back at the start...Yeah, big whoop we got it for SP and it's impact was equal to that of a soggy deflating balloon. Mendes felt the need to shoehorn and over do it with the tropes, his biggest sin being compelled to shove the db5 down our throats.

I'm all for hallmarks and tropes but they need to be done in an organic way and with moderation. Now that I think about it, as much as I don't like Newman's score, I'm surprised we didn't get the Bond theme blaring every 4 minutes.

Bond needs to be Bond obviously but we need these films to showcase a willingness and boldness in the same way CR and QoS did. One of the worst scenes in Bond history, for me, was Bond and Swann shooting their way out of Blofeld's lair. *groan* Anyway, going forward these films need to be better written and elevate itself from cliche and the pastiche it's now almost becoming.

SP on the whole is good but the spy competition of 2015 and what's to come this year will force EoN to re-evaluate things. More CR and less SF/SP. Thank you very much.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Part of the problem is people are too caught up on what constitutes to being a Bond film. CR and especially QoS were major departures of a traditional Bond film and to a lesser extent so was SF. The underlying current that runs through those 3 Bond films that serves to be a constant positive for them us that they weren't typical Bond films. However, people still want to be spoon-fed hallmarks that distinctively identify these films as Bond movies. Many people cried for the better part of a decade about having the gunbarrel back at the start...Yeah, big whoop we got it for SP and it's impact was equal to that of a soggy deflating balloon. Mendes felt the need to shoehorn and over do it with the tropes, his biggest sin being compelled to shove the db5 down our throats.

I'm all for hallmarks and tropes but they need to be done in an organic way and with moderation. Now that I think about it, as much as I don't like Newman's score, I'm surprised we didn't get the Bond theme blaring every 4 minutes.

Bond needs to be Bond obviously but we need these films to showcase a willingness and boldness in the same way CR and QoS did. One of the worst scenes in Bond history, for me, was Bond and Swann shooting their way out of Blofeld's lair. *groan* Anyway, going forward these films need to be better written and elevate itself from cliche and the pastiche it's now almost becoming.

SP on the whole is good but the spy competition of 2015 and what's to come this year will force EoN to re-evaluate things. More CR and less SF/SP. Thank you very much.

It's quite ironic, because they started the DC era with the intention of moving away from pastiche. Now they seem to be embracing it - as if now we've had a few films that aren't like that we suddenly want to do what we were originally so opposed to.

edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    tanaka123 wrote: »

It's quite ironic, because they started the DC era with the intention of moving away from pastiche. Now they seem to be embracing it - as if now we've had a few films that aren't like that we suddenly want to do what we were originally so opposed to.
    I agree with both of you. It's almost like they've lost their mojo, and feel like they have to go back to cliches to stay relevant. Strange, given that the first three Craig films all made a lot of money at the box office (and were reasonably well reviewed except for the editing on QoS) despite being quite different tonally and also quite creative.

Perhaps they just wanted to give Craig a proper 'Bondian' sendoff. If that's the case, then I think they've sort of forgotten how to make a traditional Bond film imho, without it looking cliche ridden. In fact, as I think about it, the last traditional Bond film in my view was 1987's TLD. So this Broccoli/Wilson team has never given us one without it looking like pastiche (like the 90's).
    Now that I think about it, as much as I don't like Newman's score, I'm surprised we didn't get the Bond theme blaring every 4 minutes.
    I'm certainly glad they didn't do that.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    I wonder if people mistake 'homage' for the DNA of Bond? No-one says that when Indiana Jones loses the fedora it is must be a direct homage to RAIDERS. People were compiling lists upon SPECTRE's release trying to link dots of homage that were just not there. Sometimes a woman dead on a bed in a Bond film is just a woman dead on a bed. The Aston is part of the DNA of Bond movies. Why wouldn't Sam Mendes pop the car in during a particularly earnt moment? Yes, the ownership and continuity of the DB5 has been a bit lost in the Craig films, but no-one ever panicked that the Lotus in the early 80s Moore movies suddenly turned a deep red colour nor that Gogol suddenly loses his secretary. Personally, I would love to have seen SPECTRE end with Craig and Seydoux in the Espirit (!).
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    And the Craig era has PLENTY of moments, beats and imagery that are inescapably Daniel Craig as Bond TM. And they are not homage or reheated motifs from past Bond films.... the Pakistan toilet fight and the stairwell fisticuffs in ROYALE, the knee-capping of White in ROYALE, Bond and M stood in the Highlands, Bond falling off the Turkish train in SKYFALL, Bond dangling from the ropes in Sienna in SOLACE, Bond hanging off the lift in Shanghai, the wind cutting through Severine's hair as the apartment window shatters away in SKYFALL, Bond walking along the Mexican rooftops in SPECTRE. Even Daniel's Bond rising from the surf in ROYALE is a small nod to DR NO but it is also a clever repointing of the Bond iconography for the women and gay guys in the audience with nothing but progression, not ancient homage, as its impetus.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I agree with both of you. It's almost like they've lost their mojo, and feel like they have to go back to cliches to stay relevant. Strange, given that the first three Craig films all made a lot of money at the box office (and were reasonably well reviewed except for the editing on QoS) despite being quite different tonally and also quite creative.

Perhaps they just wanted to give Craig a proper 'Bondian' sendoff. If that's the case, then I think they've sort of forgotten how to make a traditional Bond film imho, without it looking cliche ridden. In fact, as I think about it, the last traditional Bond film in my view was 1987's TLD. So this Broccoli/Wilson team has never given us one without it looking like pastiche (like the 90's).
    Now that I think about it, as much as I don't like Newman's score, I'm surprised we didn't get the Bond theme blaring every 4 minutes.
    I'm certainly glad they didn't do that.

Me too. I'm just surprised they managed to restrain themselves, all things considered.

• RC7RC7
    I wonder if people mistake 'homage' for the DNA of Bond? No-one says that when Indiana Jones loses the fedora it is must be a direct homage to RAIDERS. People were compiling lists upon SPECTRE's release trying to link dots of homage that were just not there. Sometimes a woman dead on a bed in a Bond film is just a woman dead on a bed.

I agree completely.
    The Aston is part of the DNA of Bond movies. Why wouldn't Sam Mendes pop the car in during a particularly earnt moment? Yes, the ownership and continuity of the DB5 has been a bit lost in the Craig films, but no-one ever panicked that the Lotus in the early 80s Moore movies suddenly turned a deep red colour nor that Gogol suddenly loses his secretary. Personally, I would love to have seen SPECTRE end with Craig and Seydoux in the Espirit (!).

It was in the DNA of the Connery era, but during the Rog years they weren't burdened by that sense of nostalgia that crept into pop culture during the 90's and has yet to wain. In fact if you look at the biggest grossing films of the year it's quite obvious that we are experiencing, or are at least close to, peak nostalgia (which I can't wait to see subside). The DB5 did not feature in a Bond film for 30 years, they created all new icons, such as the Lotus you mention. For me it's a case of looking forward. The DB5 is always there to enjoy when I pop in GF, but I want invention not blatant nostalgia. It's a visual safety net which they don't need.