Bond being outsmarted

edited September 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 423
So we've had a topic called Brilliant Bond in which we posted our favourite moments when Bond is clever, cunning and manages to outsmart the enemy. But it's not always been plain sailing for 007: he's been tricked or outsmarted a few times himself over the course of the series. What are your favourite Bond-gets-beaten moments?

Comments

Well, he didnt check his facts on Piz Gloria when the de Bleuchamp tombs arent in Augsburg cathedral but St Anna Kirche. And Blofeld sprung his trap.

It could be said he is outsmarted by Kronsteen and SPECTRE all the way through FRWL. With only the attache case allowing him to turn the tables in the final seconds.
    Or in Die Another Day when 007 comes to a stunning realization that "Miss Frost isn't all she seems."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    When Bond is tricked - twice - in the bar in LALD.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2011 Posts: 28,694
    As I've mentioned before, Le Chiffre using his tell to make Bond think he was bluffing in CR, and also later on when he says Mathis is his friend to screw with Bond's trust of his "allies".
    THE WHOLE FIRST TWO ACTS OF DAD!!!!!!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    THE WHOLE FIRST TWO ACTS OF DAD!!!!!!
    :-))
    Most of GOLDFINGER. Although I wouldn't say Bond was out-smarted so much as Goldfinger was less-stupid.
    No ones mentioned Elektra yet...
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Indeed. It's difficult to believe he's supposed to be the same Bond who survived the likes of Helga Brandt and Fiona Volpe and who fell for Tracy only after she helped him escape from Irma Bunt and company on Christmas Eve after he had known her for 3 months. But one tear in her eye on a computer screen and Elektra has him wrapped around her little finger as if he's a teenage boy experiencing his first crush? :-? Please.

• I wanted to mention in Octopussy when Moore sleeps with Magda and she steals his Faberge Egg before sliding down a curtain

I wanted to mention in Octopussy when Moore sleeps with Magda and she steals his Faberge Egg before sliding down a curtain

I forgot how much I loved that curtain slide. Odd for a Bond film, but I'd have to admit, pretty awesome -and classy/kick in the balls- way to leave.
  • I wanted to mention in Octopussy when Moore sleeps with Magda and she steals his Faberge Egg before sliding down a curtain

I forgot how much I loved that curtain slide. Odd for a Bond film, but I'd have to admit, pretty awesome -and classy/kick in the balls- way to leave.
    Sorry guys, but I thought Bond wanted her to steal the egg as it has a bug/microphone in it? And he saw her in the mirror with the egg and smiled when he saw Kahn look up at him.

-------------

I think from the Films when Bond is caught TWICE in Live and Let Die in the Fillet of Soul bar is quite funny :-))

And from the books also in Live and Let Die when Solitaire is staying with him and Leiter, on the run from Mr. Big who has spies everywhere, yet they leave her alone with a landlady at The Evergaldes AND after Solitaire tells him she has a bad feeling about it and Bond believes her! It's almost as though Bond wanted her to be kidnapped :-?

Sorry guys, but I thought Bond wanted her to steal the egg as it has a bug/microphone in it? And he saw her in the mirror with the egg and smiled when he saw Kahn look up at him.
    Oh, I'm sure it was on purpose. Just stating how "cool" that moment in the movie was.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Indeed. It's difficult to believe he's supposed to be the same Bond who survived the likes of Helga Brandt and Fiona Volpe and who fell for Tracy only after she helped him escape from Irma Bunt and company on Christmas Eve after he had known her for 3 months. But one tear in her eye on a computer screen and Elektra has him wrapped around her little finger as if he's a teenage boy experiencing his first crush? :-? Please.

My thoughts exactly! I just never bought that Bond will for someone like that and so quick. It was just not believable and forced.

• i beleive hes outsmarted in on her majestys secret service by blofeld and stromberg in the spy who loved me till the end of the movies respectively
  • i beleive hes outsmarted in on her majestys secret service by blofeld and stromberg in the spy who loved me till the end of the movies respectively
    In OHMSS bond just thinks with his todger rather than his brain and Urma Bunt can sniff out some sexual funtimes like a sniffer dog! ;)

In TSWLM, Bond thwarts Strombergs lift hatch and the girl in the chopper quite easily, and don't get me started on how incompetent Chandler was AND the girl with the loss of nerve after one smooch! :-))

Jaws thwarts him by grinning at Bond at a specific angle so as to shine light into his eyes and temporarily blind him so he shoots Jaws in the only place that won't hurt him (his teeth)! Then he runs away (well jogs) as he knows that Bonds PPK will most likely jam as he heard about his beretta jamming on him from a bug in M's pipe during the briefing in Dr. No. Jaws thinks that as Bond's gun jammed before, there is no reason to think that it won't happen again even though it's a different make and model. Jaws figures out the fact that Bond cannot carry his luck from the Chemin de fur tables into the form of a gun firing properly. Ladies are OK but guns are a no-no when it comes to the transferability of luck.

Jaws clearly outsmarted Bond here! L-)

Ok, that was fun, time for bed as I am typing drivel! :!!
    Failing to notice that Miranda had removed the bullets from his gun. You would think an agent and an expert with firearms would know if a gun was not loaded (by the weight). Maybe it was some scar from his 14 month imprisonment.
    Still he was outdone by the likes of Miranda.
    He was severely outdone by XXX in TSWLM when she knocked him out with the cigarette gas and obtained the microfilm.
    If she hadnt been working in conjunction with MI6 then she would have got clean away with the film back to the Russians .
    Very incompentant from Bond and Moore played the anger which he felt about himself and XXX well afterwards in the meeting with Gogul and M.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    He was severely outdone by XXX in TSWLM when she knocked him out with the cigarette gas and obtained the microfilm.
    If she hadnt been working in conjunction with MI6 then she would have got clean away with the film back to the Russians .
    Very incompentant from Bond and Moore played the anger which he felt about himself and XXX well afterwards in the meeting with Gogul and M.
    All true, what destroyed the film for me was the fact that Bond was being outsmarted by a character portrayed by the 2nd worst actress in franchise history, making him look so much worse...
    Hmm true,that didnt help.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I have to say barry, that I'm not a fan of our hero being outdone, which happens way too much imo. All the Bond equals show him off and this has to stop.
    It is a dodgy pattern,which i didnt really realise until this thread came along.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I liked the idea of Bond being outsmarted by geniuses, aka Dr. No for instance. But the whole Bond equal era is so annoying, the PC police has caught up to Bond and made him look bad. It's time to separate Bond from the rest, by profession, he has to be a superior human being, shouldn't have any issues outsmarting or getting his way physically against anyone else.